Buck Limits in different states

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OH nontypical
500 Club

Buck Limits in different states

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38 am

I am a life long Ohio resident and I am always surprised that many states allow hunters to take more than 1 buck in a season. In Ohio we are allowed 1 buck only regardless of what part of the state we live in. We can take more or less does depending on the unit we live in.

I know I am allot more selective about what buck I shoot because I only have 1 buck tag a season. I think Ohio's recent increase in trophy animals being taken is a direct result of this 1 buck limit. We are also limited to shotguns and or muzzle loaders during gun season. Our gun seasons are also after the peak of the rut. Any thoughts??

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Buck Limits in different states

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 pm

In Missouri we are allowed 3. One with a bow before rifle season, one during rifle season and one with a bow after rifle season. I really wish more than anything here in MO that they would go to shotgun or muzzleloader only for gun season. In southeast missouri you don't see many bucks that make it past the age of 2 1/2. Most guys around here shoot whatever. There is no antler restrictions here in the Southeast part of the state either.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 pm

MO is 3. I just wish they moved rifle back. With season being during the rut,deer slaying regardless of age is abundant.

bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:26 pm

SC has a five deer limit, but no tags so it is unenforceable. I typically kill 1 a season but would like to get 2.

I know quite a few people who kill upwards of 15-20 deer throughout the season since we have one of the longest seasons running from August 15-Jan 1. We have the option to buy 4 doe tags but nearly every Saturday is a doe day in which a tag is not needed.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Two any method here in Arkansas. Restrictions are two inches or less or three point or more on one side.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 pm

In Wisconsin you are allowed two for the most part, one with firearm one with bow. You can party hunt with a gun though so under certain situations you can kill someone else's buck for them. In the CWD zones its earn a buck so you can kill one buck for every doe you shoot.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:53 pm

We can kill 2 antlered deer in mi.

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 pm

OH nontypical wrote:I am a life long Ohio resident and I am always surprised that many states allow hunters to take more than 1 buck in a season. In Ohio we are allowed 1 buck only regardless of what part of the state we live in. We can take more or less does depending on the unit we live in.

I know I am allot more selective about what buck I shoot because I only have 1 buck tag a season. I think Ohio's recent increase in trophy animals being taken is a direct result of this 1 buck limit. We are also limited to shotguns and or muzzle loaders during gun season. Our gun seasons are also after the peak of the rut. Any thoughts??

You are exactly right. I wish WI would go to one buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm

solocam88 wrote:
OH nontypical wrote:I am a life long Ohio resident and I am always surprised that many states allow hunters to take more than 1 buck in a season. In Ohio we are allowed 1 buck only regardless of what part of the state we live in. We can take more or less does depending on the unit we live in.

Ohio has got it right!! 8-)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
nater

Unread postby nater » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 pm

One in Indiana, plus one in an urban zone if you shoot a doe with an urban tag first. Plus 1 for a state park reduction hunt if you get drawn to hunt those, but they're 2-day affairs. Plus one for military properties, but that's also rare.

No party hunting for Indiana deer.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

2 in Illinois. I like having a deer buck rule though. If I shoot a good buck, I'm not done for the year. I've only once shot two bucks in the same year though so I'm not greedy. I think one reason I don't mind it is where I hunt, the neighbors are all trophy hunters as well so if anyone takes a buck, its usually a good one. No one really uses their buck tags on any small up and coming bucks. If I hunted little bit heavier pressured area I wouldn't mind the one buck rule.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Here in LA it's 3 bucks any weapon & any size. We have the potential for good deer just not the regs to get there.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:07 pm

PLB wrote:
solocam88 wrote:

Ohio has got it right!! 8-)

Yes I would be all for this in WI.

muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:30 pm

MN is one however they do allow party hunting so you can shoot more if you have a group. SE MN is one buck 4 pts on a side and no party hunting either....
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Ontario. One buck. No limit on size. There are some WMUs where they are trying to keep the deer out (to keep the Moose in) that allow you to buy an extra antlered tag. But those WMUs tend to lave low densities.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”