Buck Limits in different states

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Buck Limits in different states

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Ohio has a good approach but I still see my best (booner) bucks in the unlimited bonus buck areas of WI... :think:

OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Really cool to hear all the regs from different states. Crazy how the DNRs in different states go about managing the same animal in different ways/seasons.

Dan's post on the new WI regulations got me thinking about how different they are from Ohio's. Ohio is more bow hunter friendly which suites me better but many gun hunters here would disagree. :lol:

Thanks for everyone's posts and interested to hear some more!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:06 pm

OH nontypical wrote:Really cool to hear all the regs from different states. Crazy how the DNRs in different states go about managing the same animal in different ways/seasons.

Dan's post on the new WI regulations got me thinking about how different they are from Ohio's. Ohio is more bow hunter friendly which suites me better but many gun hunters here would disagree. :lol:

Thanks for everyone's posts and interested to hear some more!

Actually in light of the potential buck regs, I would consider WI more bow hunter friendly (3 bow buck tags before the guns start flying).

:mrgreen:

To be honest, I was preparing for single buck in WI and was planning on more out of state hunts.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Ohio has a good approach but I still see my best (booner) bucks in the unlimited bonus buck areas of WI... :think:

Interesting, best bucks in Ohio are concentrated in the SE and SCentral counties but you can run across a slob anywhere. Mostly rolling agricultural to steep hill country in those areas.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:23 pm

How about Iowa? I think its two there but not sure??
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:29 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Ohio has a good approach but I still see my best (booner) bucks in the unlimited bonus buck areas of WI... :think:

Imagine how great these areas would be then with less buck killing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:52 pm

As mentioned earlier MN is a one buck state, this is cool because I think 2 buck could ruin the average hunting I have but man if would be cool to have two tags. All of the land I hunt is public and 99% of it is brown its down, 2 tags would be crazy bad.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Imagine if less buck would be killed and more could get a few more years growth on them. Thinking we could see more bucks in the CWD Zone reaching the magical 200" mark. There is a reason why a majority of the truly giant bucks including state records have been killed outside the CWD zone the last 5+ years.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:39 pm

3 is too many that's for sure. I don't have a problem with 2 buck tags. one for gun and one for bow. One buck tag is the best for growing bigger bucks but not everybody cares about that but probably everybody on here. nub bucks never get any protection
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:29 pm

OH nontypical wrote:How about Iowa? I think its two there but not sure??

Iowa is 1 for bow and 1 for gun if your a land owner you can get 3. Your choice if you want it for bow or gun

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 am

2 in Mass. Can be by bow, shotgun or MZ.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 am

NH is 1-gun & 1-Archery w/ an option to purchase a special archery tag for another buck tag.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:09 am

1 buck in KY and unlimited does. There is a chunk of public land owned by the feds that has a 1 buck bonus deer. It does make you kind of selective.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:10 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
OH nontypical wrote:How about Iowa? I think its two there but not sure??

Iowa is 1 for bow and 1 for gun if your a land owner you can get 3. Your choice if you want it for bow or gun

Yea there are also antlerless quotas county by county state wide. The antlerless tags have been reduced from what they were a few years ago but still a lot available for NE and SE Iowa counties...almost unlimited, some don't sell out. If I wanted to walk in and buy a dozen antlerless tags as soon as ticket sales started for the year I could. Party hunting is legal here during shotgun season and it is abused pretty heavily, lots of groups - probably half the shotgun hunter groups around here - use extra tags from wives and elderly parents that are not out in the field which is illegal. I'm not against party hunting as much as for better enforcement of it, they could catch a lot if the DNR investigated ticket sales patterns. All in all not bad though.

The biggest asset to Iowa's deer management is limited pressure and shotgun season well after the rut. Any state wants to be the new Iowa - just do something similar.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:01 am

3 in AL one of which must have at least 4 points on one side. Unlimited does. No worries tho, I have a hard enough time getting one buck lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”