bump n dump question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: bump n dump question

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 am

Really great topic. Wouldn't they be more likely to relocate beds if you bump them earlier in the day?

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

I bumped a giant one this year bedding on a field edge with the wind blowing from the woodlot. I wish I would have just set my stand up and seen what happened. I never thought the buck would come back, but I bet he did.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm

dan wrote:
Thats pretty much text book. So, it has happened to you. They just stopped to close for you to get in there and set up.

Yea, you are right, it has. I didn't think of it in those terms until now really. Something I will have to pay attention to. I have tried it intentionally other times though without much luck tho - not many times but a few. From the sound of it the key seems to be the buck not having a clue what spooked it. I have had success figuring out where else a buck will go after getting bumped and setting up on him there....most of the time I even try to beat them to the spot if I think I can. For instance, that same buck I talked about bumping took off after the young 8 point smelled me - I thought I knew where he was going a 1/3 of a mile away and got there first. Unfortunately he came through at 60 yards 5 minutes after I set up on the ground, I picked the wrong trail going into the bedding (my back was to the property line I couldn't get any closer to where he was going). I've gotten a couple bucks doing that sort of thing with a gun. Jogging that far in heavy pac boots wasn't any fun tho :lol:

I wonder if a buck returning to his bed the same day would be less or more likely in ag country than other types of terrain...just wondering if the amount of disturbance a buck is used to makes a difference. In general I think ag country bucks are more nomadic, would that make them less likely to come back to a single spot?
uzi

Unread postby uzi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:24 pm

dan wrote:
Widerack wrote:On average, how long does it take before he attempts to come back?

I have had them come back in an hour, and I have had them wait till just before dark.

I think they trust there bedding area as safe... This works best with a soft bump. They are not quite sure what you are. I think its ok if they see you as long as you don't appear to be slowly stalking them. But if they smell you, I think its low odds. They don't trust there eye sight like there nose. I think they want to wait till the danger is gone and then come in and smell the ground scent to see exactly what was pestering there bedding area....

This tactic was not something I came up with, it was more Andrae. He bumps bucks and then hunts them the next morning as everyone already knows, but he likes to set the stand up after busting the buck and he just started sitting the stands till dark since he set them up and started noticing a lot of the time they came back the same day, and if they did not, possibly the next morning...

I think when you soft bump them if they don't have another great bedding spot close by they don't want to go wandering around in daylight danger so they go to where its thick near the bed and listen to see if the danger passes by or is still there. After a while of no smell or sight or hearing of trouble they sneak back to see if the coast is clear...

When there is good bedding close by, that might be a deer that returns the next morning.

Dan is Andrea on the Beast much? I would love to pick his brain on the whole j-hook thing and how he sets up in relation to the bed and wind. I think you mentioned this will be on the next video. Are you taking pre-orders? ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Good info on this thread I never really considered before. I always thought when you bumped them they would be long gone. I'll wait it out next time.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I have noticed something bumping deer in tall grass and weeds you can't see the deer in. The does and young bucks I believe get up and run for the next county, seems the lone deer will get up and wait for you to make the next move then move really not bolting but you can here them going away or slipping away. I think theses are bigger bucks doing this. Any ideas??

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 pm

I wonder if a buck returning to his bed the same day would be less or more likely in ag country than other types of terrain...just wondering if the amount of disturbance a buck is used to makes a difference. In general I think ag country bucks are more nomadic, would that make them less likely to come back to a single spot?

Most of the ones Andrae kills like this are in Ag. I don't think the terrain matters. The bedding type, and attitude of the buck are stronger factors.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

So at what point does the buck decide, "I am not coming back to this bed for a long time." On Andrae's tuning fork buck on the hill country DVD he kills the buck the morning after the day he bumped the buck. The buck returned to the bed the following morning. If Andrae hadn't been there to kill the buck, what do you think the buck would have done? Walked to the bed right up until he smells human scent on the ground and then got out of there for good?

I am assuming the buck did not cross Andrae's ground scent from the day before or he would have busted out of there? So when Andrae prepped his tree, hours after bumping the buck out, he still must have needed to be careful not to walk on the trail the buck was using to access the bed?

I am just having trouble understanding at what point does the buck say to himself "I'm out of here for good"
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:32 pm

:doh: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24056

I didn't realize someone else just asked about this very recently. I have not been getting my HBeast fix as much lately
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:12 am

I like this thread because it illustrates an active part of the chess match with deer. You start out planning a certain hunt but the hunt can change as the deer reacts and now you have to adjust. Do you give and go elsewhere? Do you stay and set up and is so where and how?
This is very much like playing sports where your competition is reacting and you have to think in the fly.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Here is a bump and dump rut hunt from 2010...

KS my buddy went to grab a stand. I drove to pick him up. I was tagged out...so I was "driving miss daisy". He came to the truck, eyes big around as saucers, he bumped an absolute giant bedded. Now, this is November. It took me a bit to convince him to go back in and hang a set. He figured that buck was long gone. We turned the truck around, he headed back in and hung the set.

24hrs later, the buck showed right back in the same spot again. It was the craziest night he has ever had on stand. It was NASTY weather. Blowing, raining...just real nasty. That buck showed back up along with couple other bucks. Bucks were chasing does all over. Due to inexperience, he did not realize the buck was all bristled up because he was closing the distance on his decoy. IF he has been patient, he would have had an easy 15yd shot. BUT he tried to get the deer to stop at 42yds....panicked, fired, struck the deer in the hip. We saw the deer on his feet the next morning limp across a abutting landowners driveway. WHAT A STUD! His shed scored 83" ...we figured he was a mid 180s buck. He lived 2 more years.

But this was well into November. This buck spent a bunch of time in this core area. We saw him multiple times and my buddy missed him again in 2011.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:57 am

So if I'm understanding this right.. If you bump a mature deer in the morning or midday hours you would best be to setup for him to hopefully return by dark. If you bump him on an afternoon hunt it would be better to just come back for a mornjng hunt the next day like andras hunt in the hill dvd?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:40 pm

This is my first time reading thru the all time tactics about the bump and dump. I've experienced this multiple times in the past but it was always by accident. :lol:

Once I walked into a thicket with my dad, during rifle season. We sat there for a few minutes. He wanted a better view so he walked off about 75 yards. Once he left 2 nice bucks had circled around and came right back and ran up to him. We later found their beds right be to where I was sitting.

Another time I had just shot a 9 point with the bow early in the morning. It was a liver shot but with a good blood trail. I was a little impatient and started tracking him too early and unfortunately I jumped him up out of a bed. He ran straight ahead as far as I could see him. So, I waited until later that day and started tracking him again. I followed the blood trail in that direction up to about where i last saw him and then I lost the trail. I began to get so frustrated bc the only blood i could find was going back into the thicket i had just jumped him in thay morning. I thought to myself, "no that's the old blood trail" and I refused to track it that way. I walked all over that hillside that day looking for that deer and no blood. I finally gave up and just tried to retrace my steps from earlier in the morning. To my absolute amazement I looked at that first blood trail again and realized that there was blood ON TOP!!! of some of my morning footprints!!
That buck heard me leave in the morning and came right back in a circle on that same trail and bedded 10 yards from where i jumped him that morning and layed down and died!! I walked probably 2-3 miles looking for that deer for hours and all along he was just 10 yards from where I had started looking that afternoon!!

I believe like Dan mentioned earlier that it is a trait or instinct that they have to go right back to their bed because they feel safe there. Its not 100% but its very very common. I think there is only so much safe bedding in any given area and sometimes they just don't want to give it up. In those 2 cases they heard the intruder walk away and they came right back once they felt safe.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 pm

being someone who has participated in deer drives in the past I have seen this happen . we would be doing a drive and kick out a big buck that deer would run out ahead and the standers would never see it because it would get above us and circle around and drop in behind us and go right back where he came from. well when we started putting posters up top they would witness it happen.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:46 am

Had a friend that on occasion saw a very large antlered buck. That hung out in a small but very thick woodlot on his neighbors land. It was totally surrounded by open fields.

For about 3 years the neighbors would get a group together to drive the woodlot. The drivers often jumped the buck but the standers never saw it. They often drove the piece 2 or 3 times per each day of the 9 day gun season. They never did kill it. Not sure what became of that buck.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”