bump n dump question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bump n dump question

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 am

Hildebrand wrote:I have a question with this. Lets say you know of a decent bedding area and typically have bucks in it. Lets say the area is very hard to hunt and get too. Can you pre hang a set like now/early summer and wait for the perfect wind and basically go in and bump a buck mid day and hunt it that night and the next morning and hopes he comes back?
I have a bedding area i would like to try this early season because it holds good deer early but very hard to get too. Thats why i was thinking a pre hung stand that way i can hope to bump him working my way to that stand and hopes he returns.

Yes, you could, just have to be aware that often the buck comes from down wind and smells to see if its safe before returning. For that reason I would likely go in mobile and hang based on the wind, unless there is a specific tree that beats certain winds... Also, keep in mind that you can get away with this once, maybe twice in a season so your tying up a stand for one hunt.

Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 pm

dan wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:I have a question with this. Lets say you know of a decent bedding area and typically have bucks in it. Lets say the area is very hard to hunt and get too. Can you pre hang a set like now/early summer and wait for the perfect wind and basically go in and bump a buck mid day and hunt it that night and the next morning and hopes he comes back?
I have a bedding area i would like to try this early season because it holds good deer early but very hard to get too. Thats why i was thinking a pre hung stand that way i can hope to bump him working my way to that stand and hopes he returns.

Yes, you could, just have to be aware that often the buck comes from down wind and smells to see if its safe before returning. For that reason I would likely go in mobile and hang based on the wind, unless there is a specific tree that beats certain winds... Also, keep in mind that you can get away with this once, maybe twice in a season so your tying up a stand for one hunt.

I get what you are saying. Lets say this bedding area is on the south end of a 40 acre wood lot right in the middle. It is about 40 maybe 50 yards off that south field. Lets say i have a north wind, I try and come in and bump him and hunt it. So if he does try and come down wind he would almost have to come to the field to wind me or would this be a case he would wait till have dark and come scent check what scared him?
I have 3 good bedding areas, They are all right in the middle of a 40 acre wood lot. That is the south one and just north of that is another and just north of that is another. It was logged out like 10 yards ago that section and its a massive thicket with out tops and trees ext laying all over
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:44 am

Hildebrand wrote:
dan wrote:

I get what you are saying. Lets say this bedding area is on the south end of a 40 acre wood lot right in the middle. It is about 40 maybe 50 yards off that south field. Lets say i have a north wind, I try and come in and bump him and hunt it. So if he does try and come down wind he would almost have to come to the field to wind me or would this be a case he would wait till have dark and come scent check what scared him?
I have 3 good bedding areas, They are all right in the middle of a 40 acre wood lot. That is the south one and just north of that is another and just north of that is another. It was logged out like 10 yards ago that section and its a massive thicket with out tops and trees ext laying all over
Might get good action just inside the field edge as the buck trys to stay out of the open.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:51 am

Thanks for the feed back. I am going to go this weekend and try and put some plan into place. What trees could work to hang a stand and actually how close i can get. How i can enter it and set up on a buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”