Does age really matter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Does age really matter?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:14 am

I do my ageing when they're dead.

Never really been an age hunter, that is not what is on my mind when I'm in my tree and a buck shows up. Plus, I'm bad at guessing age on live deer. I can tell the 1.5's and most 2.5's, after that, I don't know and don't care.

I like big racks, but I like filling buck tags too.

It all depends where I'm hunting, how long I have, and how many tags in pocket. I call my out of state trips "The Venison Tour" not the "Old Buck Tour".

I have no problem killing 1.5 old deer when I feel like it.(legally of coarse)

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 am

Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Stanley wrote:Got to thinking about this. If you are after a buck and he has a heavy body and big rack do you put much importance in how old the buck is? If the buck is 2.5 do you pass him?

I would.....

You can't shoot a Whopper if you tag a 120-130"er. Now if said 2yr old was pushing 180-200"s I'd shoot em even with a skinny runty body :lol: But I think the odds of a GIANT 2yr old are low

I think Dan mentioned a buck that was 2.5 and had 170" rack. Not many would pass that buck but I think his friend did. I would not.

And it was found dead in the spring... Thats a very good possibility on any deer passed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 am

Spysar wrote:I do my ageing when they're dead.

Never really been an age hunter, that is not what is on my mind when I'm in my tree and a buck shows up. Plus, I'm bad at guessing age on live deer. I can tell the 1.5's and most 2.5's, after that, I don't know and don't care.

I like big racks, but I like filling buck tags too.

It all depends where I'm hunting, how long I have, and how many tags in pocket. I call my out of state trips "The Venison Tour" not the "Old Buck Tour".

I have no problem killing 1.5 old deer when I feel like it.(legally of coarse)

Good honest answer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Bucky wrote:
Stanley wrote:Got to thinking about this. If you are after a buck and he has a heavy body and big rack do you put much importance in how old the buck is? If the buck is 2.5 do you pass him?

I would.....

You can't shoot a Whopper if you tag a 120-130"er. Now if said 2yr old was pushing 180-200"s I'd shoot em even with a skinny runty body :lol: But I think the odds of a GIANT 2yr old are low

I think Dan mentioned a buck that was 2.5 and had 170" rack. Not many would pass that buck but I think his friend did. I would not.

And it was found dead in the spring... Thats a very good possibility on any deer passed.

Great point, a buck on the wall is worth two in the bush.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am

Is it wrong to kill 1.5 and 2.5 y/o bucks if you have a tag for them?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 am

Spysar wrote:Is it wrong to kill 1.5 and 2.5 y/o bucks if you have a tag for them?

Nope it's not wrong. I don't kill 1.5 year olds there is no room on the wall for them. I'm trying to think of the last time I killed a 1.5 year old and can't right off hand. Wait, I do remember killing a 1.5 year old in 1978. I think that was the last year. A good friend of mine that has been hunting for about 50 years killed a 1.5 year old just this year. Nothing wrong with it as long as he was happy (not sure he was). I would bet I have other friends that killed a 1.5 year old buck this year also, but wouldn't tell me. A good 2.5 year old will sometimes make the state big buck records (135 net bow). A 1.5 will not.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:19 am

Around here most folks would be buckless if it weren't for the 1.5's shot.

I really wish those from the midwest knew what's it's like to hunt the northeast. Tell them Ed. :mrgreen:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Spysar wrote:Around here most folks would be buckless if it weren't for the 1.5's shot.

I really wish those from the midwest knew what's it's like to hunt the northeast. Tell them Ed. :mrgreen:

It is tough when everyone is killing all the young bucks.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 pm

I have killed my share of 1yr olds :lol:

Im not against it.... I eat plenty of venison. Just for where I hunt 1s and 2s dont seem to be a challenge so I focus on more mature deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I guess if you were managing property it could be a big deal. But in most of are worlds if it a good buck something's getting fired at it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm usually checking out the rack when deciding whether or not to shoot. If it gets me excited I am shooting. Most of my setups I do not get to observe the buck for any length if time, so it is a quick decision.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I enjoy targeting older bucks, but anything with a decent rack is in trouble.

Being allowed two bucks per day helps in the 'not being so picky' department.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I'm usually checking out the rack when deciding whether or not to shoot. If it gets me excited I am shooting. Most of my setups I do not get to observe the buck for any length if time, so it is a quick decision.

Great point.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:34 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I'm usually checking out the rack when deciding whether or not to shoot. If it gets me excited I am shooting. Most of my setups I do not get to observe the buck for any length if time, so it is a quick decision.

I know what you are talking about with not being able to see a buck for long....sometimes I have decided to shoot by body size because there is no way to get a good look at the antlers. My muzzleloader buck I got this year was like that, all I saw was a glimpse of a pretty heavy main beam and a big body so I shot when I got a small opening on his shoulder. When I walk up to the buck its like christmas, don't know exactly what I got. Its either a pleasant surprise or a let down doing that :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 am

Spysar wrote:Around here most folks would be buckless if it weren't for the 1.5's shot.

Don't get me going...
:D

I've gotten a handful of 1.5's and now search out +2.5's and have a hard time finding those...
This year was epic for me w/ 4 bucks over +3.5 (and a lg. bear), must have had a horseshoe up my rear-end...

I go back to my buddy's statement that he told me while I was picking his brain and wondering why my wall wasn't starting to look like his...

He said he hunts archery only towns and his large deer sightings (and kills) skyrocketed.
He said even though we are 15-miles apart he would take his spots over mine anyday of the week.
He routinely arrows two bucks between 115" (smaller end of spectrum) to 171" (his largest), many in the 200 lb range w/his largest being 243lb. (also a few Doe's)

He figured this out after hunting for 15-20 years on non-producing land (VT, NH, etc), he went where the deer are (at least for the North East)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”