Does age really matter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Does age really matter?

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 am

Stanley wrote: I agree the guys that have 1000 acres of private ground to themselves are few and far between. I believe it takes this much private ground to really be able to be choosy. I also agree a lot of those 170s you hear about turn out to be 140-150 . I mean lets face it if you are used to seeing 90 inch bucks in your home states how would you be able to give a good guess on a buck that scores 170 as a NR hunter, they all look big?

Hehe...yea my personal pet peeve is when guys talk about the "12 pointers" they saw....12 point typicals are almost as rare as hens teeth, probably more rare than drop tines or any kind of buck that grosses 170. I have seen in person or gotten on camera a total of 3 legitimate 12 point typicals in 16 years. Not to mention I couldn't imagine being able to count 12 points on a buck I see unless its pretty motionless for a long period of time or on camera.

When I was a teenager I saw booners almost every year....I will be the first to admit now that some of them probably weren't! I also thought most 2 year olds would make P&Y...until I started shooting some of them :lol:

Bucky

Re: Does age really matter?

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 am

Gross 170+ bucks are few and far between... the word Booner gets thrown around WAY to much. I have buddies that have shot 190" gross deer that did not net Boone. Only one true Booner in our circle with lots of big buck killers.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”