New Years resolution

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

New Years resolution

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 pm

2013 marked my first year hunting "beast style" and although I feel like I have made improvements there are still adjustments I need to make. Near the end of 2012 I found this forum and started reading as much as I could and scouting as much as possible through the spring and even though I didn't put down a mature buck I had some almost close encounters and felt pretty good about how it went.

Now here are the improvements/resolutions.

1.) I need to use observation stands more frequently. I think I got a little gung-ho at times. I dove in before I had enough intel.

2.) Trust my instincts. One of the first buck beds I found last year when I started scouting for them didn't look like much. It had the traits of a buck bed. Some hair in the bed, multiple piles of feces varying in age, and a couple old rubs. It was a heavily hunted area and this one bed was the best buck sign I found on the whole place. Long story short I left there that day feeling good about finding what I thought was my first buck bed. The more I thought about this spot I started to doubt what I found. I didn't go back there until mid November, after I had hunted a number of other options I thought were better. My first sit at this spot I do ended up having a 140" (rough estimate) buck at 35 yards. I didn't have a clear shot so I didn't take it. I don't know what would have happened if I would have hunted there sooner and I never will because I didn't trust my instincts.

So what is your buck hunting resolution? What will you do different in 2014.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: New Years resolution

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:47 am

Scout more, can never scout enough IMO. Like you trusting my gut is hard sometimes, I overthink to much and talk myself out of things.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:17 am

Scout more this spring for whitetails and turkey hunt less!! :lol:
Hunt my public close to home more.
Scout the public near my lease

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:40 am

Scout your but off.

Don't ever go against your gut in decisions.

If your like me I needed to work on "The shot" itself. Timing when to draw waiting for a good shot doesn't have to be perfect etc.

Good luck. This was my first year of killing a buck beast style as well. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”