Deer densities in your area?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
solocam88
500 Club

Re: Deer densities in your area?

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:54 am

ozzz wrote:
nater wrote:How does WI DNR determine their densities?

Asking the magic 8 ball.

Hahaha exactly right!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 am

ozzz wrote:
nater wrote:How does WI DNR determine their densities?

Asking the magic 8 ball.

Pretty much. No one knows and will never know. We do need to kill more does though :lol:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:44 am

If deer density is measurable by livable habitat in the winter, I would say we hunt 40 Deer per square mile. The problem is with the terrain, cover and so many hidden ag fields (especially on the land I hunt) you could have every deer on the property feeding in the ag fields and only see one or two in the field that you are hunting. We have 10 ag fields on the 250 acres I hunt and can't see more than two at any given time and usually only one. Lots of valleys and ridges to so plenty of spots to hide. Bad because you don't see a lot of deer at times, good because thats why we have some giants. It would be fun to one day have the technology to be able to personally see how many deer are on the land you hunt at any given time.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:01 pm

How can they honestly even predict this? Especially by number of deer killed? There are way too many variables involved in this too even be somewhat accurate. All i see is there is more deer shot in this area than that area….
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:01 pm

So a place that doesn't get hunted has no deer?

I like my odds there.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 pm

3-5
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 pm

In one area I hunt a lot there are 6 per square mile and .1 to .5 bucks taken. Sometimes I go dark-to-dark for 2-3 days without seeing a single deer. But there are some average-plus bucks around so I think it's worth hunting.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:51 pm

carl1191 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Another issue with the deer density map is that it does not take into account amount of cover which is a big deal in farm country. In the fall winter months deer are concentrated in small amounts of cover - giving a far different appearance than deer per square mile range. As a result, comparing deer per square mile range in farm country to big woods is apples to oranges....because in big woods it IS per square mile cover.

Actually the numbers are deer per square mile of habitat, not total area in the unit.

;)

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:18 pm

I have to wonder what the dnr considers "habitat" If you only counted forested lands you cound really inflate the estimate #

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 pm

hunter_mike wrote:I don't know if I've ever hunted in a square mile with 30+ deer in it.

Me either, but according to the DNR's map, the areas I hunt have twice that. Someone should really tell the deer in these areas about this map;)
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 am

PLB wrote:
carl1191 wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Another issue with the deer density map is that it does not take into account amount of cover which is a big deal in farm country. In the fall winter months deer are concentrated in small amounts of cover - giving a far different appearance than deer per square mile range. As a result, comparing deer per square mile range in farm country to big woods is apples to oranges....because in big woods it IS per square mile cover.

Actually the numbers are deer per square mile of habitat, not total area in the unit.

;)

Huh, your right - I took range to mean total area but I see on the DNR's web page its suitable habitat. My bad!

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/maps.html
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:02 am

JoeRE wrote:
PLB wrote:
carl1191 wrote:

;)

Huh, your right - I took range to mean total area but I see on the DNR's web page its suitable habitat. My bad!

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/maps.html

Range includes open areas...

nater

Unread postby nater » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:03 am

I would think that suitable habitat includes woods, prairie/CRP ground, and marshes/wetlands. My guess is they use the National Land Cover Database and anything that is not Developed/Crop/Road/Open Water counts.
carl1191

Unread postby carl1191 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:10 am

hunter_mike wrote:I have to wonder what the dnr considers "habitat" If you only counted forested lands you cound really inflate the estimate #

You can find that answer through the WDNR website. Last I checked it is all permanent cover and a 100 ft buffer extending our into open ground (Ag etc.)
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 am

There are places here with 200+ deer per square mile. It is terrible, the habitat is absolutely ruined. It is very unhealthy. This year I saw a major swing at the properties that I hunt... the hunting pressure just about tripled in the surrounding areas and I would say that deer are at about 40-50 deer per square mile, although 3 years ago some of these properties would have been at about 80 deer per square mile. I don't typically hunt the high deer density areas, the herd suffers and the quality of bucks crashes. Also of note, the highest density areas are urban/suburban with no agricultural access for the deer. Agricultural areas obviously offer a lot Morehouse for the deer but they are also almost always hunted, which keeps the deer densities lower.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”