Bear issues while deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Bear issues while deer hunting?

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 am

I hear a lot of stories of guys shooting deer and finding a bear got to it 1st, or a bear following the drag out after a kill. I've heard of guys yelling and beating sticks on trees to get the bears out of area? One friend had a cub climb his tree, mama when ballistic and started trashing rocks and sticks on the ground, until the cub climbed down. I have had several bear encounters on the ground and in the tree, all of them they ran away, as soon as they knew I was there. What stories have you got, what do you do if a bear lays claim to your deer kill, or climbs your tree? I saw a YouTube video where a bear climbs a ladder stand and the hunter whispers something like "what are you doing?" The bear climbed down and trotted off.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Crazinamatese

Re: Bear issues while deer hunting?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:49 am

I think I was 16 when I was greeted by a mama bear with two cubs opening morning gun season. I was gutting a deer I shot that morning. There was a few inches of fresh snow on the ground. I hear this loud scratching noise behind me a little ways. I look back and I see two cubs climbing up a tree and mama bear just laying there looking at me. I was pretty much done and tied a quick rope and kept my eye on mama bear as I pulled the deer out of the woods. She waited for me to get away and her and her cubs came and feasted on the gut pile. Another time I was walking to my stand under the cover of darkness and spooked a bear right out of it's den. Scared the crap outta me. I was about 5 yards away when the bear decided to take off running down into a ravine. Then it stayed down there huffing and puffing at me for awhile and eventually came back after the sun came up. Im no fan of bears. The ones near my hunting areas are becoming less fearful of people.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”