Soil fertility tied to size of antlers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Soil fertility tied to size of antlers

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:08 am

Seems like rivers and also the glaciated soil of the upper Midwest produce the biggest bucks. Just look at Missouri for example, the glaciers only reached to about the middle of Missouri where the Missouri river runs through it. The north part of the state produces most of the big bucks in our state where the land is better crop ground. The southern half is much more rugged and hilly and does not produce as many big antlered bucks. Definitely no coincidence in soil quality affecting antler quality.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:19 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Seems like rivers and also the glaciated soil of the upper Midwest produce the biggest bucks. Just look at Missouri for example, the glaciers only reached to about the middle of Missouri where the Missouri river runs through it. The north part of the state produces most of the big bucks in our state where the land is better crop ground. The southern half is much more rugged and hilly and does not produce as many big antlered bucks. Definitely no coincidence in soil quality affecting antler quality.

MO - that is a fact. If you study B&C records.... the most consistent biggest bucks come from good soils/ag land and some sort of river system. Add in hills to get age and you have the chance to shoot a WHOPPER

I shot my biggest buck off a river system in Northern MO
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am

Its no secrete if you compare the Boone & Crockett map to that of soil fertility you will at least parallel findings. Where I think there is an interesting factor is where fertilization is big or minerals are present you will see anomalies. Genetics first then food. sports players treat nutrition with importance but they wouldnt be in most of those positions without their size/physique. So much of the deer thing has to do with update too- raining spring versus dry, weather stresses etc. I had a 125-30" 5x3 on the farm last year...the same deer is 80" this year... he's not going downhill that fast.....
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm

I always thought the darker the soil makes bigger bucks. This is why Menominee co. Mich doesn't get many big bucks. It's all sand country. The big marshes is all black soil, holds water well and has nutural soil instead of acidy soil. This is why it takes so much longer for bucks to get big racks in many places up north, acidy soil. Too much acid keeps plants from absorb ferterlizer. An example is where my cabin is it is very hard to grow clover. We know what clover does for deer horns. It grows like crazy right on the lawn down here. This is just a theary of mine and don't declare it is the 11th commandment lost by Moses on his way back down the mountain.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Dr. Grant Woods from www.growingdeer.tv has spoken about this extensively in an interview I heard on the podcasts I listen to called the Hunt Fish Journal (http://gbcraftsman.libsyn.com/ episodes 20 and 41). He speaks extensively on the importance of minerals including calcium & phosphorus on antler growth. Great listen and overall probably the best whitetail hunting podcast out there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”