Fixed Blade or Expandable

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

arrow'd_addict

Fixed Blade or Expandable

Unread postby arrow'd_addict » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:01 am

Fixed Blades or Expandable?

I'm shooting Muzzy 3 blade right now. I'm sure if i want to try anything else. Which are better broadheads, which one flys better, Which one has a better chance of passing thru when hitting ribs? Like i said i'm happy with the Muzzy's just seeing what you all think.

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Fixed Blade or Expandable

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 am

I shoot fixed. I'm using the NAP Hellrazors, they fly great.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 am

Everyone's set-up is different. That means everyone has an optimal set-up that they should pursue. Some people do not even have an option to use an expandable due to the lower arrow speeds their bows produce. Right now, I bet my recurve is shooting 180-185 fps. That means I had to up my arrow weight and I am only able to use fixed blade broadheads or risk not getting a pass through. I prefer fixed blade heads anyways.

What is your set-up like....draw length? draw weight? total arrow weight?
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:40 am

Welcome to the Beast arrow'd_addict.
I shoot G5 Montec and they shoot very well from my bow. I have shot quite a few deer with Muzzy's, they are a good head. I just like to experiment with different styles from time to time and I like the blade to tip Montec.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 am

Muzzy 3-blade.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 am

I switched back to fixed blades a couple of years ago and will never look back. Fixed blades perform flawlessly and the last thing you ever want to worry about is if all of your blades opened or not, or of you got enough penetration. For the small amount of work to tune your bow to shoot fixed blade heads I honestly feel you will do yourself and the game you pursue an injustice by not making the extra effort. After all that is the real selling point of mechanical heads, the claim of field point flight without tuning your bow. I shoot 100grain Silver flame two blade broadheads and they fly true, I have also shot 100grain G5 Strikers and they were easy to tune as well. Most companies make a pretty respectable head that requires little effort and you never have to worry about anything but placement after that. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and God bless.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 am

I switched from Muzzys to Rocket Hammerhead expandables back in 2004 and have been very happy with the switch. I especially like the fact that when I've made a bad shot the giant 2 inch hole has saved my but and I recovered the deer.

i shoot muzzy mx 3's and also rocket hammerheads and sidewinders . for a mechanical they are very trustworthy...have had some seriously brutal holes in deer before with these rockets. and there relatively cheap compared to rip off rages
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:02 am

Fixed blade for me. Im shooting slick tricks and im loving them
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:27 am

Fixed... I shoot Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades. Mechanicals "seem" to fix some problems hunters face but I believe they cause more problems than they fix. If you hit a deer where your arrow is supposed to hit the deer its dead no matter what broadhead you use... But if you hit a deer in heavy muscle or bone a smaller fixed head will out perform penetration wise.
If you hit a deer on a quartering away shot you may also have issues with deflection from the blades opening in the ribs and only one blade catching ribs. Or the large blade diameter trying to cut thru 5 ribs trying to get in...
I have gotten my Muzzys thru shoulder blade. You would have a hard time doing that with a two inch expandable...
Many claim that it has saved them because they hit a deer to far back. It might kill them faster with a liver or gut hit than a fixed, but either one there just as dead and a good tracker should find either one.
Then you have the ones that fail to open, or the ones that open in flight...
I have personally seen far more wounded animals with expandables.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 pm

arrow'd_addict wrote:Fixed Blades or Expandable?

Like i said i'm happy with the Muzzy's just seeing what you all think.

Stick with the muzzy's if they are working for you, goes back to the "don't fix it, if it ain't broke"........
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Strikers..........

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I used Muzzy 3 blades for the past 5-6 years. They did everything I needed. I switched over to a recurve this year and I am going with the 3 bladed Wensel Woodsman 150 grain broadhead.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Both for me and they all fly and preform great so far. I shoot Magnus Snuffers, Snuffer SS, and Buzzcuts. I also shoot NAP Spitfire Edge, and Thunderhead Edge. I will also have a few Rage 2 blade in my quiver because they work, as well as a few Reapers. I am a broadhead junkie,I love shooting B.heads almost year round. Playing with different heads and seeing how they preform is part of the fun for me.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:22 am

Fixed blade G5 Strikers get the job done for me!!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:33 am

G5 Strikers :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”