What kind of projectiles have you found in your bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

What kind of projectiles have you found in your bucks.

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Just wondering what you have found in the bucks you have killed. I have found something in quite a few of the bucks I have killed.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ack

Re: What kind of projectiles have you found in your bucks.

Unread postby Ack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Found a bunch of bird shot in the hind quarters of a buck I shot several years ago.....something I'm sure happens quite a bit.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Shotgun slugs, buckshot ( illegal here ) broadheads... The best one was a buck I took many years ago ( early 1980's ) with a rifle. I shot the buck and hit him in the front leg. I tracked him in the snow for a couple miles and over two days. When I finally got a second chance I had him kind of cornered and he jumped from his bed and ran straight at me. I shot without aiming at point blank instantly dropping the buck just before he was going to run into me.
Turned out the 30-30 bullet from my bolt action rifle hit the buck in the neck just below the jaw in the white patch. I was surprised that there was not a pass thru... My father believed in helping others and there was a family down the road that always was given one of my deer each year. My Dad gave them the big 8 pointer. The man called us up and said he had something for me to see... We went over there and while butchering the deer he found my bullet in the neck lodged dead center into an old bodkin type broadhead. The arrow tip was bent from the impact. That force must be what broke the deers neck dropping him. I made a necklace with the broadhead... I think I still have it somewhere. If I come across it I will post a picture.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:00 pm

My 2012 bow kill buck was limping the first time I saw him . Thought it was from fighting or a vehicle. A few days later,I shot him on another property about 3/4 mile away. Turns out, He had two "pass through " broadhead holes through the front of his brisket.
The one bear that I killed had a snuffer broadhead lodged in the front shoulder plate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:50 am

A couple of broadheads and shotgun slugs but the most common projectile I have found are small caliber rifle bullets (in Iowa - that means poachers) :angry-cussingblack:

In two 160 class bucks and one 180 class buck (I didn't shoot that one) I have found the jacket and/or entire bullet from a .22 caliber centerfire rifle or maybe a .22 mag. One might have been a .243. Every bullet was in the neck/head/jaw region. I have found small rifle bullets in a few smaller bucks too. Poachers are thick around here although it seems its gotten a little better the last couple years. The DNR finally nabbed a couple big timers here not too long ago and I suspect that had something to do with it.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:31 am

Not really a projectile but the buck I killed this year had a perfect antler tine hole in his hind quarter, it was fairly fresh as it wasn't infected or anything but the meat was pretty bruised up around it already. It was almost 2 inches deep.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 am

Nothing strange for me. Just a couple muzzys buried in the shoulder.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 am

It amazes me how many deer have been shot at, hit, and survived. There must be poachers galore out there. I think all the .22 stuff is opportunistic poaching. Guys squirrel hunting and a buck goes by. The high powered rifle stuff is deliberate poaching for sure. Maybe coyote hunters getting a shot off. If I were to guess I would say about 1/3 of the bucks I have killed have had bullets/slugs in them. Brisket catches a lot of stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:56 am

My 400 pound bear from 2010 had birdshot in its skull... :shock:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 am

Stanley wrote:It amazes me how many deer have been shot at, hit, and survived. There must be poachers galore out there. I think all the .22 stuff is opportunistic poaching. Guys squirrel hunting and a buck goes by. The high powered rifle stuff is deliberate poaching for sure. Maybe coyote hunters getting a shot off. If I were to guess I would say about 1/3 of the bucks I have killed have had bullets/slugs in them. Brisket catches a lot of stuff.

1/3 is about right for me too... With bears even higher, but they live a lot longer than deer.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:12 am

Every deer over 2.5 that I have shot has had a old wound of some type... usually pass through scars in the neck, brisket, high in the back or broad head in the shoulder..... bird shot in the rear end and .22 bullets are pretty common too.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:13 am

Never find anything around here...most never survive that first season!! :cry:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 am

Surprisingly I have never found projectiles in any deer I have killed over the past 20+ years. I hear about it all the time from others but never seen it myself while butchering mine. Worst injury I have found is a torn ear from fighting.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:19 am

I hear of this a lot but have only found one item in a deer. I found a 20 ga. slug in a 10 point that I shot in 2009. The slug was lodged in the under side of the spine. I found it after noticing that one of the lungs looked weird. The animal was wounded the previous year and it looked like the lung had healed up pretty well.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:56 am

I was eating some left over deer steak at work one day and spit out a piece of #6 shot. I started chewing a little slower and found another. Some of guys in the shop gave me a strange look.
Taxidermy friend of mine finds bullets and broadheads all the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”