What kind of projectiles have you found in your bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: What kind of projectiles have you found in your bucks.

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:46 am

All I've ever found is 8 or 9 .22 bullets in an ancient doe I shot 10 years ago. It was in a group of 13 and was the lead doe and she was limping, so I killer her. DNR aged her at 8 though we know how their math is.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:42 am

I picked up this deadhead over the weekend.

He appeared to have an antler tine hole in his forehead. The raised lines are calcified, so it looks like he was on the mend.

I also shot a buck once that had a 4-blade broadhead hole through the top of both shoulder blades.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:It amazes me how many deer have been shot at, hit, and survived. There must be poachers galore out there. I think all the .22 stuff is opportunistic poaching. Guys squirrel hunting and a buck goes by. The high powered rifle stuff is deliberate poaching for sure. Maybe coyote hunters getting a shot off. If I were to guess I would say about 1/3 of the bucks I have killed have had bullets/slugs in them. Brisket catches a lot of stuff.

1/3 is about right for me too... With bears even higher, but they live a lot longer than deer.

I would say thats about what I see too. But on really big old bucks that I have help butcher, deer 150+", almost all have some broadhead or bullet scars or the projectiles themselves. Honey draws flies.

One crazy one was a massive (probably expandable as it looked in the 2" range) three blade broadhead scar in one side of the abdomen and out the other. No idea how the buck survived. Some scar tissue but other than that seemed OK. Guts looked ok, must have somehow missed them (maybe dull blades went past them?).
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:13 pm

Not a projectile, but my first bow buck a few years ago had a huge water blister looking thing hanging off the brisket.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Longbow

Unread postby Longbow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm

I've been doing taxidermy in WI for years and for about the last 10 years it has become more unusual NOT to find bird shot in bears. I've a hunch that much of that must happen in people's yards. It rarely seems to penetrate beyond the hide.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:43 pm

found an old magnus snuffer lodged in the spine of a roadkill (yeh, I've taken a fresh roadkill a time or two) and did a job for a guy who had a deer mounted with a broadhead in his eyehole, he shot it with a rifle.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:01 pm

I found a broad head in a doe . i've had a buck with a hole from a small caliber thinking like a .223 as it passed thru probably fmj no expansion. My buck had antler poke in but filled with puss well over a inch deep this year. one doe that i thought was the biggest doe I ever seen but it was all swollen and after I gutted determined meat was lost cause never did look for cause. Could have been car hit just don't know it stunk and I dropped it with the rifle in the snow nothing I did by not finding it.

My buddy shot a buck with 2 different expandables in it .Seen two other bucks gutted with small section of arrows and broad heads. One buck was really thin probably didn't have a ton of time (broad head still felt really dull to me ) the other was healed and seem to be fine before other person shot it entry wound was healed just hit too high broke in opp. Shoulder . Whoever hit that was heartbroken it didn't seem too terrible to me just too high for a flatter angle . Similar to a video I seen on here earlier this year.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”