Finally got my 8 point. Just not how I wanted...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Landonk

Finally got my 8 point. Just not how I wanted...

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Today I decided to venture out to a spot where I have a stand on public land. I hunted this spot very hard in Oct and Nov with no luck. I had seen a spike and a nice 8 point in the area and was gunning for the eight point earlier in the season. This was all before finding this site and learning about the techniques discussed on the forums.
Today I went back to the spot for the first time since finding the beast with the intent of finding his bed. I knew where he had been rubbing earlier in the year, where I had spotted him and, now, where to look for the bed. This was in almost flat terrain between a large field, swampy thicket and transitional area in between the two. This is also a fairly high pressure area.
I went in to make sure my stand was still where it should be and decided to make a circle back through the areas I had figured would have the beds. About 200 yards past my stand from the normal point of entry I located a dead spike, the one I had watched previously, in his bed. I have no idea how he died. I hope it was not from a hunter since this area has a 3 point rule. So much for keeping an eye on him in the future. Oh well....
I venture on to some other suspected bedding areas and located a second dead deer that, I assume, was a doe based on the size. There was no skull and it had been dead for some time. Moving on I began to circle back to the truck. When I was about 150 yards from the truck I noticed an area that was about 60-70 yards from where I always park and said to myself, "that spot has to have a bed."
I walked over and found nothing, then went around to the other side of some briars that were blocking the way and found the carcass of the buck in the photo. (the spikes skull is also in that pic)
After turning over the skull to see if it was a buck I found the antler bases there, but no horns. The kill was not too old and I started looking around and found the actual bed, with both sides laying as the photo shows.

This bed was next to a very heavily traveled gravel road and 60-70 yards from my parking spot. I think it's safe to say that this guy had been outsmarting me all season and knew when I was coming and going.
https://imageshack.com/i/f2pb9sj

https://imageshack.com/i/5b9j4bj

Here is what I think happened:

Most deer around here are not yet shedding. I suspect that he either got sick/shot/injured...etc and made it back to his bed. Being that he was under stress he shed his antlers before he died and the carcass was likely drug to where I found it 20-30' from the sheds.
Sound about right to you?

It did seem strange to find three dead deer in such a small area that looked like they had been dead about the same amount of time. There were no arrows near any of the carcasses, not that that really matters. But, this is a bow only area.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Finally got my 8 point. Just not how I wanted...

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Bummer for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Thats too bad, Ive been there too.

I suppose if you wanted to you could pick up the skull and clean it up, mount the horns on it for a euro mount given you have some history with the buck. Consult your state's regs about picking up the skull of course.
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

I can't say that I am upset about it.
The way I look at it I have come a very long ways in the last month. Even though I won't be able to hunt him anymore, simply finding what I found today was a very big boost to my confidence.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Landonk wrote:I can't say that I am upset about it.
The way I look at it I have come a very long ways in the last month. Even though I won't be able to hunt him anymore, simply finding what I found today was a very big boost to my confidence.

8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 pm

that sucks... but at least you know your in the right area and you know he taught you some things... would be cool to make some kinda plaque or something with what you have from him... in the end you did kinda win.
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm

I think I will mount the sheds on one of those DIY kits that cost $20-50 as a good reminder of the season.
I have killed nothing but learned many lessons.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:39 am

That's a good attitude to have about it. Sounds like you knew more about that buck than maybe anyone else and the story of the deer came full circle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”