rubs and doe trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jelmore

rubs and doe trails

Unread postby jelmore » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:05 am

A little while ago there was a thread about parallel trails during the rut. I didn't get to hunt this area during the rut but in ml season we had a good snow so I did some walking and scouting. The area was a main ridge running n to s with "finger" ridges coming off of it running e to w downhill going to cornfield in a bottom. I was following a well used doe trail. It went n to s crossing up and down over those finger ridges about half way between the cornfield and the main ridge. On top of almost every one of these finger ridges was a rub exactly where the doe trail crossed it. This is what you guys said would happen but was still cool to see.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: rubs and doe trails

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:30 am

Good observation... A lot of guys mistake doe trails for buck trails cause they don't realize those rubs mark the buck trails crossing.
oldrank

Re: rubs and doe trails

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Very interesting. Another thing I have noticed are rubs that are used every year on field corners. I always wondered if it was a visual post kind of marking the trail into the corner of the woods. I know deer aren't visual oriented creatures but I also noticed that if there is one or two trees in a field all the deer seem to key on the trees in the same way as if it is a trail marker or kind of a road sign. Any thoughts on that ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”