wow..confidence booster!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

wow..confidence booster!

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 pm

So today on a whim I went to a brand new spot I've never ever stepped foot on...

Its open to flintlock and archery hunting a couple weeks later than the rest of the state...

I went there today just to get eyes on the place and see if I can't find where the deer are in there so I can go back in later find some does for the freezer...

I didn't have time to find the top 1/3rd or anything...I can usually find deer..so I was just sneaking around looking for tracks before we loose the snow...

Came to a point...actually more of a hump than a true point...I looked down from the top and said "dang! I busted him outta here already!" And was mad...

I go down to the bed I could see and realized it was a few days old...I could tell by the snow that it was saturday-sunday..

Odd place to bed...knowing its a west facing hillside..and our wind is usually SW or NW..but its a buck bed...tracks confirmed that and the only 2 rubs I found where right near it...the closest rub was actually rubbed the year prior for sure too...GREAT bedding location...I KNEW I'd find a bed there before I found it...its just outside a house safety zone...the normal walking trails are below him...98% of his hunter danger will come off that trail...its a spot most guys would never touch..."too close to the house and the trail". Classic bedding location...

Knowing by the snow in the bed and tracks put the buck there over the weekend I looked at the wind and sure enough it was SE...

Checked the elevation and sure enough he was within 30ft of that top 1/3rd

HUGE confidence booster in the beast tactics...I've confirmed it over and over now...but its still like learning a magic trick when I confirm it....now I need to kill one through what I've learned!

So for you newer guys...trust it! I know for me it made sense but at the same time it didn't make sense..I didn't know what to expect...but I confirm it time and time again....

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: wow..confidence booster!

Unread postby Zap » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:51 pm

I am itching to get back there! After looking at maps more.... the half or more I didn't touch yet looks better...very rugged and points out the wazoo...

I drove "around the block" and its surrounded by heavily posted land...

I don't know what hunter pressure is like...I didn't find any stands or signs of hunters...its public land but one not many know is huntable..and most guys look at it and would say "there are hiking trails everywhere...they will scare the deer". I'm learning to love spots like this...

Next east wind I get I am going to try to pull a beast hunt on the bed I found...if I can't get this dang buck tag filled before then!

mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Oh boy.....SE wind tomorrow...fresh snow falling now...warming temps tomorrow...I will be tied up till the afternoon....

I already know what he can see from that bed...and there is another "hump point" on the north side of him...

I can sneak down the ditch on the north side of that other hump point and get to the elevation of his bed and belly crawl up into position and kill him in that bed...wind isn't due to shift till about 9am...hopefully the snow covers my tracks and scent....

I have nothing to loose by trying to stalk into position to shoot that bed...if he's not there that's OK...

Weird wind shift taking place....WSW to WNW to north then NE around day break...east around 8..SE at 9 and the rest of the day.....

I have NO idea how a change like that will effect his bedding...if its blowing easterly by the time he goes to bed he should end up there...but if it doesn't get easterly till 8-9-10 in the morning he will have to relocate in the day light....

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Cool! Good luck Mauser!

OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Go get him!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Will keep you guys updated tomorrow....

I don't have super high hopes that he will be there...but I know he bedded there on the same wind...part of me is overly excited like the night before deer season when I was 12...anticipation is high...

I can picture him sitting there in the sun all fat and happy as I touch off the flintlock and fill the air with a cloud of black powder smoke....

Like I said...if he isn't home I won't be heart broken....but it'd be awesome if he IS there and I can put a good shot on him!

Before this season I would have found that bed and thought absolutely nothing of it....I had very very very little knowledge of buck bedding...what I did know was backwards....

I'm realizing I need a GPS too...and can't be lazy and have to plug the points onto the PC too so I can't loose them...I am logging buck beds into my phone app....that's not gunna be helpful when the phone takes a dump...

Being able to look back on line and see what the wind was is HUGE...and knowing when that last little snow fell...I put him in that bed within a few hour time frame...just by knowing when that snow fell and what wind direction he likely used that bed on....HUGE...

I will be bummed if he isn't legal (antler restrictions) or dropped his horns and he is home....

muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm

No. 1996 MN gun opener, 2nd year hunting I had a huge 15 pointer with a drop time come by me but never stopped all the way. This happens now it is a dead buck I was just not ready nor have the experience then. Neighbor shot him 2 days later. Ended up going 170 something....

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Very cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:21 am

Muskie man, that's a story many of us have! I've seen a few big boys on the hoof....but like you said...just wasn't time...I saw them...but didn't have all the pieces of the puzzle laid out to get em killed....

Now that I am getting older and more experience things are clicking....instead of finding a bed and saying "well a deer was here once.." I can look at a bed and say "this was a buck..at least 2.5yo...and he was here with an eastlery wind". And I can make a plan of attack to come back on him...

We ended up with a half inch or so of snow..my meeting is over...I just gotta hope that my scent and tracks were gone...I should have checked the winds before walking down that point and marking the bed...we get an east wind so seldom i never thought about it....I figured it would be a while...but its today...

I am going to gear up and go put the sneak on him shortly....the snow is quiet..things are thawing out....will be a great day for deer movement...if he isn't there I will keep hunting...great looking area...

I am really wondering if he does smell I was there that he might move over to the point I am going to sneak up to for the shot...going to really take my time and glass the hillside hard before moving and while moving...

I know my downfall is when I get excited like this I make stupid mistakes..I gotta slow myself down...

TravisB

Unread postby TravisB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:05 am

Good luck.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 am

My guess is he will be there. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 am

After looking at the map more that point is DEAD on for a SE wind...which is what we had last time he was there...and what we have now....I just parked the truck....trying to figure out if I need my sunglasses...dang sun and snow is a killer....there is activity on the main paved trail with dog walkers.... if he isn't there I've IDed other good SE points to check...this place is loaded with points...its actually silly how many points are here....

Time to go...anticipation is killing me...I'm ready to fill the air with a cloud of black powder smoke!

stay tuned! If he isn't there I'm going to check for his tracks...If he isn't there it'll be interesting to see how he hit my tracks and spooked...and then I will track him down!

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:01 am

mauser06 wrote:After looking at the map more that point is DEAD on for a SE wind...which is what we had last time he was there...and what we have now....I just parked the truck....trying to figure out if I need my sunglasses...dang sun and snow is a killer....there is activity on the main paved trail with dog walkers.... if he isn't there I've IDed other good SE points to check...this place is loaded with points...its actually silly how many points are here....

Time to go...anticipation is killing me...I'm ready to fill the air with a cloud of black powder smoke!

stay tuned! If he isn't there I'm going to check for his tracks...If he isn't there it'll be interesting to see how he hit my tracks and spooked...and then I will track him down!

Good luck!! Keep us posted!! :pray:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”