Leeward side in open country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Leeward side in open country

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:25 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
dan wrote:Image

An isolated spot like that looks like a day buck bedding spot to me. All of the hunting pressure will be down there in the big timber. I also agree with Dan that it's a bed used on rotational years with corn. I had great spots similar to those scouted out and all of them were void of sign because beans were planted instead of corn this year. My scouting last year will pay off for the 2014 hunting season.

How many buck beds did you find on an isolated small piece like that one? Multiple for different wind directions? Only used on certain winds? What is your strategy to hunt it?

I will usually find several beds that are down to the dirt. All used with slight adjustments in wind direction. The big key in the spots where I hunt is the corn rotation. Without the corn, you are not going to get close, and the bucks seem to use the areas because of the security of the cornfield. They also use these spots with no crops but these are very tough to hunt in pressure areas. Buck beds on the downwind side of the isolated cover utilizing his vision and wind to back. He waits until dark before staging right next to the field. I can't seem to get one in this situation without getting busted; the cover blocks they head to are usually too far away for me to setup with shootable light.

I'd hunt this spot on a year with corn. Wait for a rainy windy day with the right wind preferably a just off wind. Utilize the corn rows to access the small woodlot and set your stand. I would set up your tree at least a year in advance with treesteps, shooting lanes, etc. The reason I say that is carrying the climbing sticks plus a stand through the standing corn is a real bear. If the area is scouted properly, you should have an idea of what direction he might head--possibly along the edge. It's a tough hunt but very doable in my opinion. I think hunting that big timber block waiting for the buck will have much lower odds in my opinion. However, he might just use that spot with soybeans as well. Heck, you never know. If he does, utilize your glassing abilities like mentioned above and go from there.

hunter_mike

Re: Leeward side in open country

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds like a great plan MO. I agree about hunting it during a corn year. A buck is pretty invincible in that spot. I will go check it out this spring and get a solid plan going. If its going to be a non corn crop next year I might consider putting up a camera right on the bed and just leaving it out all year so that I have the info for the following year kinda like Stanley does. Since it is private land I will probably go cut shooting lanes but I am afraid if I put a stand up, I will have a cousin or uncle sitting in it really quick. Its pressured private land for sure and nobody has ever shot a big buck off this property in my lifetime however I have gotten pics of and seen 3 yr old bucks within a mile of this spot.

Sorry keb for hijacking your thread!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”