Should NR land owners be allowed to hunt their own land?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Should NR land owners be allowed to hunt their own land?

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 am

Spysar wrote:Yea, it's true if it was allowed only the rich would benefit. If I lived in Iowa, I'd want it just as it is. As a selfish NY guy, I wish I could somehow buy land and hunt it every year. I should probably sell my 45 acres and house in NY and just move to IA.

The real thing that ticks me off is the dang governors tags. Really??? We still need TV dudes promoting deer hunting in Iowa?? Come on.

The other thing that is unique to Iowa, is that even when I do get a tag every four years, I CAN'T EVEN HUNT THE WHOLE STATE, just a small zone.....

But I guess those things combine to make Iowa the great deer state it is today.

I agree on that one.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:13 pm

If I decided to buy hunting land in IA, I would be fine with the existing rules.

But one thought that came to mind is, I would probably have a select few that would put in for tags and then we as a group would be hunting it every year.

Have a friend that his dad had a great bear hunting spot in MI. As residents of MI this zone took at least 4 years to get a tag. As a group someone always had a tag. Many of us went to bear camp even though we didn't get to hunt. Those selected in a certain year got a pretty good hunt. Just my thoughts.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:If I decided to buy hunting land in IA, I would be fine with the existing rules.

But one thought that came to mind is, I would probably have a select few that would put in for tags and then we as a group would be hunting it every year.

Have a friend that his dad had a great bear hunting spot in MI. As residents of MI this zone took at least 4 years to get a tag. As a group someone always had a tag. Many of us went to bear camp even though we didn't get to hunt. Those selected in a certain year got a pretty good hunt. Just my thoughts.

Ok, since you can hunt about every four years, I need three more partners to buy some Iowa land. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Spysar wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:If I decided to buy hunting land in IA, I would be fine with the existing rules.

Ok, since you can hunt about every four years, I need three more partners to buy some Iowa land. :mrgreen:

:lol: Unfortunately, I think you'll need 4 partners soon. Turning into once every 5 years quickly.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Spysar wrote:

3 more guys and 1/4 million a piece you could have a very nice set up to be able to hunt every fourth year. You guys buy it and I'll manage it for you. ;)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

If I spent a quarter million, I'd be living there and hunting every year.....They need electricians in Iowa?. :D
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Spysar wrote:

That would be a good strategy for Nonresidents wanting to hunt IA. Get a small group together, buy a chunk, and start putting in for the tags. I would think to buy land their though one would want to be closer to IA than you and I.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:11 pm

It is commonplace to own recreation property away from home- so why would it be different in principle whether its in the same state or not? So yes- you own it; your castle
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:

3 more guys and 1/4 million a piece you could have a very nice set up to be able to hunt every fourth year. You guys buy it and I'll manage it for you. ;)

Yep. And if your WI partners were together prior to, you could do a 1031 tax exchange, avoid the capital gains, and end up with a larger piece than you had in WI. :mrgreen:
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:10 pm

IMO definitely. And I will buy land in IOWA that year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Spysar wrote:If I spent a quarter million, I'd be living there and hunting every year.....They need electricians in Iowa?. :D

What type?
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:If I spent a quarter million, I'd be living there and hunting every year.....They need electricians in Iowa?. :D

What type?

I do it all. From houses, to power plants. Residential, commercial and industrial. At my job I'm a foreman, and run some pretty decent sized jobs.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 am

Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:

What type?

I do it all. From houses, to power plants. Residential, commercial and industrial. At my job I'm a foreman, and run some pretty decent sized jobs.

You would need to live in a metropolitan area to make anywhere near what you make now. The rural areas where you would want to buy land wouldn't provide you enough income to live on. A lot of the rural areas are very low income (poor) that is one of the reasons land can be purchased fairly reasonably.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:57 am

I'm sure Iowa's scale is considerably less than New York's but cost of living should be less.

Pull a travel card and if you research it really doesn't take that long to work in a different state to be considered a resident.

I traveled for work full time during a 14 year stretch and always got flak trying to stay or keep my WI residency. Never gave up my house in WI just rented apartments and had mail forwarded. Kept my WI drivers license but WI hunting license and voting was a pain. WI kept trying to tell me I'm a resident now of whatever state I was working in at the time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:23 am

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:

What type?

[glow=red]You would need to live in a metropolitan area to make anywhere near what you make now.[/glow]The rural areas where you would want to buy land wouldn't provide you enough income to live on. A lot of the rural areas are very low income (poor) that is one of the reasons land can be purchased fairly reasonably.

That was the issue when my wife and I considered moving to Iowa. My wife is a large animal veterinarian and while there was ample employment for her, there wasn't much work for me (chemical engineer) in the areas where she could find jobs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”