Food for Thought

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Reflex011

Food for Thought

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 am

Most of winter at my office here on the Wisconsin River we witness a handful of Does that hunker down usually throughout the coldest part of the winter within the neighborhood. I would say 3 days a week at least these Does can be seen bedded in the woods from the office, on top of the ridge that runs along the river, or feeding in backyards near the office. It makes for a fun viewing. They are around in summer and spring with fawns they just are not seen as often due to foliage and maybe urban food sources in other areas. But the only time we have witnessed an antlered deer is once during the rut 2 years ago a little 4pt was making a rub just out my office window. Later that day he was chasing a smaller doe.
Well this morning, cold as all heck, the Does where bedded in the pines behind the office. Mid morning i notice something run by my window, and looked to find the 3 does running across the lawn with a small 6pt chasing right behind them. My first thought was a neighbor kicked them up bedded somewhere. Well about 20 minutes ago a coworker was standing talking to me and said "Hey there goes a deer!" Sure $h*t if the same 3 does ran past with the 6pt right behind em again and not even 30 seconds later they looped back with him right behind them. That made me think, #1 they are either really cold, running laps to stay warm, #2 maybe they were kicked around from people, but no one seems to be outside in this weather. #3 Is there a chance that one of the does may have had a really late estrus? If the amount of daylight is a key factor in the breeding cycle, and since the days are getting longer could that happen?
If I figured it out right, this is the 16th day after the winter solstice so this day would be as long as the 16th day before the solstice, Dec 4th. Which if some Does have a late cycle that could fall in early December. Any thoughts on possible breeding after the 1 of January in the Midwest(Wisconsin).

Stay warm!!

[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
bigwoodsmn

Re: Food for Thought

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:15 am

My wife saw 3 bucks (two small, and one large) chasing 1 doe in late December...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 am

Some does don't get bred and come back into heat later, and yearling does breed a month later. I have seen breeding activity as early as September and as late as about now... Rut is when the "majority" breed.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

I saw several fresh scrapes in Ohio on Friday, 1/3/14.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:56 am

I see open scrapes into March..... deer will breed all winter if a doe fawn or unbred doe comes into heat
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:00 pm

A doe will continue to come into estrus every 28 days until she is bred.... bucks can breed as long as they have hard antlers...every year there are reports of spotted fawns in late fall.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm

oldrank wrote:A doe will continue to come into estrus every 28 days until she is bred.... bucks can breed as long as they have hard antlers...every year there are reports of spotted fawns in late fall.

I have seen video of a buck with cast antlers breed a doe
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 pm

I posted this in another thread Saturday . BTW, This is Central Ohio ."Yesterday at work my buddy called me out to a busy two lane road . Said he just watched three buck chasing a young doe around a large bean field and the biggest ended up breeding her . By the time I arrived the big one herded her back to a treeline . Another young buck walked out and all three stood around , fed on a some beans sticking up in the snow and sparred a little . First time I've actually witnessed any true late or second rut activity ."

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Hmmmm....wonder if he was fertile....

SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:12 pm

oldrank wrote:A doe will continue to come into estrus every 28 days until she is bred.... bucks can breed as long as they have hard antlers...every year there are reports of spotted fawns in late fall.

On 8/31/1998 my brother's dog carried a newborn fawn into yard in CT, unharmed. The navel was dry but hadn't fallen off. The fawn was very thin and weak but a wildlife rehabilitator was able to nurse it back to health.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Bucky wrote:I see open scrapes into March..... deer will breed all winter if a doe fawn or unbred doe comes into heat

Bucks aren't any different than the average man. I can be asleep, sick, or hurt, but I am never too tired, too sick, or too hurt ...
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:45 pm

@SamPotter you got that right! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:28 pm

SamPotter wrote:
Bucky wrote:I see open scrapes into March..... deer will breed all winter if a doe fawn or unbred doe comes into heat

Bucks aren't any different than the average man. I can be asleep, sick, or hurt, but I am never too tired, too sick, or too hurt ...

:D
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm

I saw a spotted fawn mid November a few years ago. Couldn't have weighed but about 25 lbs. That doe could have been bred in April. :o That was only one I've ever seen with spots in November.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 am

SamPotter wrote:

So shedding antlers isn't the equivalent to a vasectomy? :whistle:

I tell my soon to be 50-year old wife that regularly!

Trading her in for Two-25 year olds!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”