how much do you like killing deer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: how much do you like killing deer ?

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:05 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Spysar wrote:I like it so much that I hunted deer in four states this year.......Anyone do any more than that?

:lol: I like it just as much ..but know if I had your budget :think: ;)

Dude, what kind of budget do you think I have??? I'm a tradesman, an electrician.....I'm no doctor, or lawyer.

Do you have a smartphone? How about cable TV? Do you smoke cigs? I don't. That's cause hunting is more important to me.......

Just give up your smartphone and cable. Approx $100 each per month for those things..... That's $2,400 of hunting money bud.

Anyone can hunt like I do.....

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Spysar wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
Spysar wrote:I like it so much that I hunted deer in four states this year.......Anyone do any more than that?

:lol: I like it just as much ..but know if I had your budget :think: ;)

Dude, what kind of budget do you think I have??? I'm a tradesman, an electrician.....I'm no doctor, or lawyer.

Do you have a smartphone? How about cable TV? Do you smoke cigs? I don't. That's cause hunting is more important to me.......

Just give up your smartphone and cable. Approx $100 each per month for those things..... That's $2,400 of hunting money bud.

enough to hunt 4 different states waaaaaaay more then me!!!!! I made less then 25 thousands year how about you??

yes I have a smart phone...no I don't not smoke drink or do drugs ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 am

Spysar wrote: I'm a tradesman, an electrician.....I'm no doctor, or lawyer.

Great point.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 am

Bucky wrote:Tad - I had that same feeling when this buck strolled in on me Nov 7th.... I had just shot a great buck Nov 4th and it just so happened this buck had busted a chunk off his right beam. I never even picked up the bow... but the buck knew he was beat... he walked to the creek crossing and looked right up at me with BIG bug eyes... he started to walk quartering away and paused almost if he knew he was done.... he walked a few more steps and looked over his shoulder again at me. Maybe he just saw an ackward blob in the tree... but in my mind it was a thank you for letting me walk! :lol:

Is it November yet!!!!!!!

That picture is one of the coolest shots I have seen!! You can see the panic in that bucks eyes!
Make It Happen
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:14 am

In regard to the original question....I hate the act of taking a life and always have, anything bigger than a fly I don't like taking a life. The rest of the act, the pursuit, the chase, the utilizing it for food, that is what I love. The killing bit is just necessary for the complete experience. I am kinda surprised so many said they like that bit.

:lol: I like it just as much ..but know if I had your budget :think: ;)[/quote]

Anyone can hunt like I do.....[/quote]

Also, be single and unattached if somebody really wants to live out their obsession. Its all a matter of priorities. Wives, families and serious GFs cost a lot of both time and money ;)

I have a young family and hunted three states this year...and probably shouldn't have in hindsight :lol:
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I like hunting them always have liked it. Any deer with a bow is a trophy. But, I'm not as [glow=red]mad at them[/glow]as I once was when I was younger.

(Mad at them) now that was me years ago. I can relate to every post in this thread. Good thread, it shows how personal hunting is to each one of us. As for me, I love the chase; antlers are cool and like to have venison in my freezer. I don’t enjoy standing over a live deer and putting a second shot in it to finish it off. There is no thrill for me watching the death trimmers as the last breath is taken and life leaves an animal. As I get older my respect for life has changed. Sometimes I ask myself why I like to hunt so much, I have yet to answer that question. There is an accidental theme to this thread; some pretty deep thinkers on the Beast!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 am

oneflag wrote:
I don’t enjoy standing over a live deer and putting a second shot in it to finish it off. There is no thrill for me watching the death trimmers as the last breath is taken and life leaves an animal.

I hear you and definitely relate. I get a feeling of satisfaction when I make a clean kill but when we make shots that are less than perfect, it makes the situation a bit more harsh and sometimes downright ugly. I think the subject of this thread is something that most people who have not hunted do not understand.

[glow=red]Do I enjoy killing deer?[/glow] Yes. It makes me feel totally connected to my surroundings; body, mind and soul. Its a feeling that can't be described. By killing the deer and eating it I am an active participant in my ecosystem and that is what makes me feel alive. All animals including humans live and die at some point in their lives. I feel that if I become a part of that animal's death I am way more connected to it than i was to the cow that was killed to make your Big Mac.

[glow=red]Do I enjoy inflicting pain upon a beautiful animal?[/glow] No of course not. I am not trying to punish the deer, it did nothing to deserve a punishment. This is why I feel so great when the kill is fast and clean. It is also why I feel sick when I make less than perfect shot on an animal. Then I know that I have done everything in my power to be as efficient of a predator as possible.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:51 am

hunter_mike wrote:
oneflag wrote:
I don’t enjoy standing over a live deer and putting a second shot in it to finish it off. There is no thrill for me watching the death trimmers as the last breath is taken and life leaves an animal.

I hear you and definitely relate. I get a feeling of satisfaction when I make a clean kill but when we make shots that are less than perfect, it makes the situation a bit more harsh and sometimes downright ugly. I think the subject of this thread is something that most people who have not hunted do not understand.

[glow=red]Do I enjoy killing deer?[/glow] Yes. It makes me feel totally connected to my surroundings; body, mind and soul. Its a feeling that can't be described. By killing the deer and eating it I am an active participant in my ecosystem and that is what makes me feel alive. All animals including humans live and die at some point in their lives. I feel that if I become a part of that animal's death I am way more connected to it than i was to the cow that was killed to make your Big Mac.

[glow=red]Do I enjoy inflicting pain upon a beautiful animal?[/glow] No of course not. I am not trying to punish the deer, it did nothing to deserve a punishment. This is why I feel so great when the kill is fast and clean. It is also why I feel sick when I make less than perfect shot on an animal. Then I know that I have done everything in my power to be as efficient of a predator as possible.

Good post. Exactly how I feel.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:15 am

Growing up on a farm I've seen a lot of animals die- many of them at my own hands. In fact, unless anyone in here works in a slaughterhouse it would be a safe bet that I've killed more animals by age 32 than most of you will even think about killing in your lifetime. I'm not bragging, just pointing out that I've been privy to more than my share of dying and death. We have 3800 head on our farm today. There's an old saying, "When you have livestock, you have deadstock."

It is one thing to take a 150 yard shot at a deer and find it dead when you walk up to it. It's a whole other thing to be looking a cow square in the eye, put the muzzle to her forehead, and pull the trigger. I'm betting there's a lot of tough guys that would change their tune once they've done this a few times. I talk myself through it because the animal doesn't know what hit them and I am being merciful.

We used to have Western Europeans come to the farm when I still lived in CT to slaughter calves and bulls. Many of them were Muslim I believe, and according to their religion the animal had to die by having it's throat slit so the blood could run out. Try standing there and looking a calf in the eye as the life runs out of it's jugular... I watched several of the customers vomit on the spot and I'll admit it is really unsettling to look an animal in the eye during the time when all hope is lost and death in inevitable but the animal is still conscious of what is going on. I finally was able to talk most customers into letting me stun the animal with a hammer before they slit the throat- best of both worlds; the religious beliefs are upheld but the animal is not conscious.

I shot a doe in CT this season and watched her go down within sight- I'll admit I had mixed feelings as it was fairly similar to what I described in the previous paragraph. I shot her right through the heart and she died about as quickly as they can when shot with an arrow, but there was still that period of time when the fatal blow has been struck and the life leaks from the body through a wound onto the ground as the animal wanders confused by what is happening.

I'll admit to being proficient at killing but I find no pleasure in the actual kill. A lot of the time it's a big letdown, especially if you have particular history with a buck and now it's all over. I have been finding myself enjoying the rest of the hunt a lot more and I have had quite a few successful hunts when I never pulled the trigger.

Am I ready to stop killing deer? Heck no! I love the taste of venison and there's only one respectable way to get it...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:37 am

Well said Sam, I could not work at a slaughterhouse, I can kill a deer with a bow or gun just fine but that up close personal stuff would bug me, I don't know I could even watch someone else do it. I'm not against it, the animals don't just become meat on their own.
SamPotter wrote:Growing up on a farm I've seen a lot of animals die- many of them at my own hands. In fact, unless anyone in here works in a slaughterhouse it would be a safe bet that I've killed more animals by age 32 than most of you will even think about killing in your lifetime. I'm not bragging, just pointing out that I've been privy to more than my share of dying and death. We have 3800 head on our farm today. There's an old saying, "When you have livestock, you have deadstock."

It is one thing to take a 150 yard shot at a deer and find it dead when you walk up to it. It's a whole other thing to be looking a cow square in the eye, put the muzzle to her forehead, and pull the trigger. I'm betting there's a lot of tough guys that would change their tune once they've done this a few times. I talk myself through it because the animal doesn't know what hit them and I am being merciful.

We used to have Western Europeans come to the farm when I still lived in CT to slaughter calves and bulls. Many of them were Muslim I believe, and according to their religion the animal had to die by having it's throat slit so the blood could run out. Try standing there and looking a calf in the eye as the life runs out of it's jugular... I watched several of the customers vomit on the spot and I'll admit it is really unsettling to look an animal in the eye during the time when all hope is lost and death in inevitable but the animal is still conscious of what is going on. I finally was able to talk most customers into letting me stun the animal with a hammer before they slit the throat- best of both worlds; the religious beliefs are upheld but the animal is not conscious.

I shot a doe in CT this season and watched her go down within sight- I'll admit I had mixed feelings as it was fairly similar to what I described in the previous paragraph. I shot her right through the heart and she died about as quickly as they can when shot with an arrow, but there was still that period of time when the fatal blow has been struck and the life leaks from the body through a wound onto the ground as the animal wanders confused by what is happening.

I'll admit to being proficient at killing but I find no pleasure in the actual kill. A lot of the time it's a big letdown, especially if you have particular history with a buck and now it's all over. I have been finding myself enjoying the rest of the hunt a lot more and I have had quite a few successful hunts when I never pulled the trigger.

Am I ready to stop killing deer? Heck no! I love the taste of venison and there's only one respectable way to get it...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 am

SamPotter wrote:In fact, unless anyone in here works in a slaughterhouse...

Certainly Understood!
I'm with you on that although it was a chicken farm and when they stopped producing eggs it was Hasta La Vista - Baby!

We had a production line going 2-3 times a year and would process them for family and friends by the hundreds each time...

Not very fun but when your 12-14 it's work...

Did you know that a chicken is born with every egg it will ever lay?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 am

I enjoy hunting, but I don't "like" the killing part. I don't feel bad, but I don't think of killing as a thrill. it's everything else about it that I enjoy. I have knelt down and said a little prayer giving thanks and respect to the deer and thanking God for every deer I have killed right before I tagged the animals. once I see that arrow hit, sometimes I even say "oh crap, now the work begins" LOL
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:55 am

SamPotter wrote: It is one thing to take a 150 yard shot at a deer and find it dead when you walk up to it. It's a whole other thing to be looking a cow square in the eye, put the muzzle to her forehead, and pull the trigger. I'm betting there's a lot of tough guys that would change their tune once they've done this a few times. I talk myself through it because the animal doesn't know what hit them and I am being merciful.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have killed a lot of livestock also and even put bad hurt/sick pets down with a bullet through the brain and the only reason I do it is because its necessary. Most people in this country might appreciate meat a bit more if they all had to participate in the butchering process of livestock lol.

Hunting is obviously different. Humans are predators, as can be observed by our binocular vision (forward set eyes), brain structure, and our canine teeth. I still don't like the act of taking a life though - but love the rest of it.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:10 am

JoeRE wrote:
SamPotter wrote: It is one thing to take a 150 yard shot at a deer and find it dead when you walk up to it. It's a whole other thing to be looking a cow square in the eye, put the muzzle to her forehead, and pull the trigger. I'm betting there's a lot of tough guys that would change their tune once they've done this a few times. I talk myself through it because the animal doesn't know what hit them and I am being merciful.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have killed a lot of livestock also and even put bad hurt/sick pets down with a bullet through the brain and the only reason I do it is because its necessary. Most people in this country might appreciate meat a bit more if they all had to participate in the butchering process of livestock lol.

Hunting is obviously different. Humans are predators, as can be observed by our binocular vision (forward set eyes), brain structure, and our canine teeth. I still don't like the act of taking a life though - but love the rest of it.

Watching one die is not pleasant. Like you say if it falls, flops a couple of times and dies, it's not as bad as walking up on one that is in the process of dying and takes a bit to do so. I made the mistake of cutting a does throat once that wouldn't seem to die. I won't do that again.

My wife used to raise rabbits. The only reason she raised them was to eat. When it came time to kill some, she used a hammer to their head. Then she'd dress them. I couldn't do it. Just couldn't. I can (and will) hunt and kill anything. I'd help dress them and eat em, but left the killin to her. She's ruthless, a cold blooded killer.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 am

I do not like killing deer or any other animal for that matter.

I will only kill what I plan on utilizing as food or in rare cases (trapping for making garments). Many times I have been asked why I didn't shoot a raccoon or Coyote that I saw while deer, turkey or duck/goose hunting. It's simply because I don't think there is any honor in killing a living creature just for the sake of killing it. Nature will take care of the animals that are overpopulating or whatever the case.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”