how much do you like killing deer ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: how much do you like killing deer ?

Unread postby Jonny » Sat May 12, 2018 2:58 am

Sam potter had a great post. Easy to shoot a deer from a distance. Hard to kill something up close.

The worst part of hunting for me is the moment after pulling the trigger, until I know the animal is dead. But that’s part of the game that I love so dearly.

I respect the heck out of wild animals. Survival is off the charts. I do my best to respect their lives and what they have accomplished by staying alive so long.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 12, 2018 3:43 am

I don’t hunt for the kill. Sounds strange saying that because it’s obviously the end result to a succesful hunt but to me it’s so much more than that. Taking a life is an emotional thing for me and I don’t take that lightly. I have a huge respect for all animals.

This sums it up for me......

"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow."

Fred Bear
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat May 12, 2018 3:55 am

Not much really. I don't buy red meat, so its just a necessary part of that process and I hope that every arrow I unleash finds the lungs to accomplish that as quickly as possible. I certainly don't derive any pleasure from the kill itself. It is part of the circle of life and what I was put on this earth to do though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:41 am

I may have responded in the past but I will again because I have changed as time goes on.
Killing isn't all that important to me anymore. I love scouting, hunting, the smells sound and sights of nature. I love to just sit and enjoy the beauty of it all. It is very self centering and relaxing. I love to cut a fresh track in the snow and push all day to catch that critter. Hunting is becoming an excuse to get out in the woods. I trophy hunt because it challenges me and because it lengthens my time in the woods. I enjoy eating venison but not everyday so that is not a big reason why I hunt. Taking the life of an animal should not be taken lightly in my opinion.
Another thing that has changed in me is the importance of my antlers and mounts. There was a time where if there was a fire I would have rushed in and risked my life to retrieve them. They would have been the first thing I would have gone in for. I don't feel that way anymore. I enjoy them and would miss them if they were lost but they have fallen on the list of importance.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 am

I LOVE hunting, I do not love killing. Don't know what it is. I teared up pretty mightily on my first buck I shot when I was about 15 years old. I have to tell myself (and I believe it to be true), that these deer will suffer a cruel death by a bear, wolf, coyote, disease, or a vehicle anyways, so me killing it cleanly with a bow or gun is not a bad thing. I will eat the meat, and respect the animal.

What I really love is the anticipation, the preparation, and most importantly, being in the woods by myself with no connection to the fast paced world that I live in. I love the comradarie that it brings with some of my buddies (more in the past) and that it will bring with me with my 3 little kids (assuming they like to hunt like their Dad...).
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 am

Funny to read back on this post. I probably came across a little raw. I still love the thrill of the hunt. The kill is the ultimate goal. That is checkmate in the game of chess. Since that post however I have lost my blood thirst a little. I think my goals have changed. I am older, married n settled. Priorities are different. I have learned a ton as a member here and hunt with a different purpose. Funny how time can change a person in 4 yrs.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 am

I love knowing where my meat comes from and crave being a part of that process. If I didn't hunt and fish, I'd honestly give thought to being vegetarian, wven though I love eating meat.

I also love hunting and everything about it...except that actual killing part. Killing an animal you hunt, big game in particular, is one of the more complex feelings I think there is. There is pride in accomplishment, excitement of success, comfort in the food you have procured, often times camraderie with hunting partners, tremendous respect for the animal and the opportunity to be part of the food chain, primal feelings of doing what we evolved to do, but there is also sadness for the animal, occasionally regret, general unease depending upon how exactly things went down, sympathy, empathy, and sometimes even self doubt. It's an experience that can really help you learn something about yourself if you take the time to process it a little.

It is cliched at this point, but if everyone had to kill their own dinner at least once, I think a lot of people would benefit from it.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat May 12, 2018 9:19 am

The kill is anti-climactic to me. But this ain't catch and release.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 am

The kill is the end of a journey and all the hard work. It satisfies me and I try to soak it all in. Then it’s on to the next plan. I don’t shoot does on public but on my private I will to do my part. High deer density’s on the private. I also like eating venison
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sat May 12, 2018 10:27 am

The older I get I've realized there's so much more to it then the kill. And have noticed I have a much higher respect for the animal I kill. But I love it all from the scout all the way to the table.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 am

Its really not about the kill to me now.it used to be just like everyone else
If i get a mature buck on film in front of me at a distance i could take him with a bow. That will be my defining moment and my triumph. Meeting Dan, Jeff , jeffs son ,chasing opposums , messing with bee hives , learning from them and now being taught the more effective way to hunt mature bucks
All the dedication. the work. the hours walking ,crawling , jumping waterholes ,ditches , etc and of course the journey. the final preparations. the shot. The confidence. No matter the outcome its all worth it. I wouldnt change anything
Its never about the kill its about the respect for an animal that we adore and love too hunt. Just the challenge to get him in front of you should be enough at least for me. Some guys really need to kill something to stroke their egos or to have a look at me moment
Or just to hear themselves type or talk.
Not me. Sorry thats not robert loper the buckpsych
My ultimate goal and satisfaction is to teach and make someone else understand the things that now have been passed on too me from my fellow beast brothers and maybe learn some other different things from others i can pass on too its a circle of knowledge
I am no expert far from it. But i know what needs to be done and im just doing it. If i fail i fail if i win i win And if i have a chance im gonna pass it on to anyone who wants to hear me ramble on and on and on about how to hunt mature bucks. The beast way. Lmao. Ok im done rambling now.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:45 pm

I don't get a thrill out of watching anything die, I think anyone who does has some serious issues. My goals have changed since I started hunting, it use to be my success was determined in wether or not I filled a tag. Now it's to be in the presence of a mature buck at close range. If I screw the pooch (and I do on the regular) I still accomplished what I set out to do. I don't loose sleep over it. Putting a good buck infront of you isn't as easy as it sounds and those brief moments that you worked so hard for are truly special. Win, lose or draw! I don't hunt to kill, I kill because I hunt.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”