super cold weather and deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

beddedbuck

super cold weather and deer

Unread postby beddedbuck » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:12 pm

The crazy low temperatures are surely going to have an impact on the deer herd. Does anyone know what the statistics are on such cold weather and deer mortality? How long can they live with suck extremely low temperatures?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Re: super cold weather and deer

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Not sure how long deer can survive in this weather but the DNR in Wisconsin uses a Winter Severity Index. Here is how is a brief summary of this from Minnesota.
The Winter Severity Index (WSI) is a
general measure of winter conditions
based on the premise that prolonged
cold temperatures and deep snow
can reduce overwinter survival of
white-tailed deer. In Minnesota the
WSI is calculated by accumulating a
point for each day with an ambient
temperature <= 0 degrees F and an
additional point for each day with a
snow depth >= 15".
Temperature and snow depth data
are provided by the MN Climatology
Working Group.

They then rate the winter as mild, moderate, severe or very severe.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Right now not looking good for how early in winter these temps have hit us

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:04 pm

The cold doesn't bother them much as long as it doesn't last for weeks at a time and the snow depth isn't over 18". Up north I am amazed the temps deer can survive in for rather long periods. Right now they will be fine. When the winter drags on like it did last year that is when they get really stressed because their fat reserves are pretty much gone.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm

This is an explanation from WI DNR website.

1996-97 was a very bad year and I remember that well. Spring scouting in northern WI and MI UP was not a pretty sight. Dead deer everywhere! :cry:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat ... ts/wsi.pdf

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I would think as long as they can get food, they would be ok. not a lot of snow here in southern wi.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 pm

I hate to see bitter cold and deep snow. Not good for the deer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:11 am

Dewey wrote:The cold doesn't bother them much as long as it doesn't last for weeks at a time and the snow depth isn't over 18". Up north I am amazed the temps deer can survive in for rather long periods. Right now they will be fine. When the winter drags on like it did last year that is when they get really stressed because their fat reserves are pretty much gone.

X2... Right on..

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:09 am

NH has fluctuated the deer herd numbers on "BAD" winter dynamics in the past by as much as 30% - usually takes 2-3 years to bump back up - not good...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:22 am

When my daughter hunted at Sandhill Wildlife Area this fall we had a listen to a deer biologist talk on this. He stated that days below zero and days with 12 inches or more of snow on the ground affected the deer population more than any other factor. Right now there is also a pretty good crust of ice under the snow we have. That has to make it harder for them to dig down for food. However, if the weather swings and the snow melts the whole thing could change. I agree that a winter that drags on is the worst possible scenario.

chris
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:32 am

I spoke with an Upper Peninsula Deer biologist about this last year after our late, late snowstorms last year.
The below zero days posted above are accurate,,there is a formula they use which determines "cold days" (my description).
Once winter has set and deer have yarded, the deer have "x" amount of days before they start dying..I think was about 90 days. I would have to look. The deer metabolism slows way down etc..If this time elapses without greenup or at least significant snowmelt making browse available fetuses are aborted and die offs begin in significant numbers.

Interestingly enough, long term studies have shown that twin fawn birth rates skyrocket the next fawning year. Does that aborted but survived enter the spring with no lactation pressure or fawn rearing stress and enter the next rut in excellent condition. This is why a bad winter every other winter or three in a row will cause a massive population crash as opposed to individual or back to back bad winters,,or so I'm told..

I'll find that study and post it in a separate thread.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 am

Winter kills are not pretty...but remember they are mother nature's way of controlling populations. I know we as hunters like larger populations but keep in mind in the big picture its not about us.

As others have mentioned, cold and heavy snow in February and March are what causes winter kills. They can take this cold and snow in December/January as long as it doesn't drag on another 2 months.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”