First "Beast Style" Hunt a Success.... kinda

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Landonk

First "Beast Style" Hunt a Success.... kinda

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:44 am

I went out yesterday afternoon to an area on public land that I had walked through a few months ago, well before I had found this site or heard of the methods known as "Beast Style." My one and only previous trip had found decent buck sign on the North side of a ridge that runs East to West. The wind forecast was for the wind to be out of the South. I studied a topo of the area and came up with a game plan. I anticipated approaching from downwind and setting up in a area that I thought a buck would travel about 1/3 of the way down the hill on the North side.

Upon arrival in the area the wind, which was not forecast to change, changed and began blowing from the North. I had never found any decent sign on the South side of the ridge, but after watching the Hill County DVD and remembering a similar hunt that was mentioned on there I decided to head to the South side of the hill and setup as close as I thought I could to an area I suspected to be a bedding area. This was also my first trip out with a new Assault stand and LW climbing sticks. I see why they are so highly regarded now. I was able to get up 3 sticks high in a scraggly oak tree that my climbers could not work in. After setting up I did not see anything until 4:30, but what I did gave me a huge boost of confidence. Easing down off of the point where I had guessed a bed could be there was a very large deer headed my way. At first I did not see any antlers, but once he got within 50 yards I was able to see at least one large stub on his left side that was about 5-6" long. My only guess is that his rack broke off during a fight. I could not see the right side for sure, but this deer was obviously a buck and he had not shed. I could not tell if I was looking at what was left of the left side and possibly a brow tine, or if the right side was a stub as well.
Either way, he had a whopper of a body. If he lost his rack in a fight I need to be out looking for the deer that defeated him!

No buck to show for the hunt, but I feel pretty vindicated about my decisions and the attempt I made in a spot I had never hunted. The DVD's and this site are probably the best things that have happened to my hunting in a long time.
:clap:

Crazinamatese

Re: First "Beast Style" Hunt a Success.... kinda

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 am

Seems like you are on the right track. 8-)
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 am

Cool, sounds like you did ok.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 am

I would chalk that up as a success 8-)
Landonk

Unread postby Landonk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:21 am

dan wrote:I would chalk that up as a success 8-)

100% agree.
Any time I learn something new that I can put to future use, or confirm my technique is on track I consider it a great hunt.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 am

dan wrote:I would chalk that up as a success 8-)

X2!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:05 am

Great hunt! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”