Shedding Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Shedding Bucks

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:53 am

This statement made me a bit curious...

dan wrote:Whats interesting is you see so many shed right now, but come March no doubt we will be seeing a few still carrying.

We have all likely heard that stress plays a role for bucks shedding their headgear;
weather, food and rut activity play a key roles in stress...

What's your thoughts on the probability that the earlier shedding deer are the active rut bucks?
Leaving the young bucks and some mature bucks that don't participate as much (basically less aggressive bucks) during rut with their headgear on longer...?

SMART!

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:You and me both! Worst yet, all my target bucks have shed. :doh: I'm looking for something to hunt...

I'm going to take a ride tomorrow after the game in an effort to find a buck to hunt the last week.

Saw two big bodied bucks with no antlers from the truck last couple days. This cold snap should really get em dropping. Careful shooting does!

I'm done doe hunting for the year for that reason

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Shedding Bucks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:08 am

I know stress plays into it... You always see severely injured deer drop early, and early sever storms always have an impact. The biggest drops I seen were when we had ice storms and ice covered most of the food and the bucks were starving.

But, I also know from deer farm studies that in a low stress area deer will drop pretty close to the same date every year individually. I think it was something like within a 48 hour window, it might have even been tighter than that.
So, if a certain buck dropped on January 7th, the next year he would be at about the same date. But another buck in the same heard may drop march 3rd give or take a day every year... I would think the bucks normally dropping early would be more likely to drop in December when stress is in the equation.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:35 am

Good topic Ed. I have never been able to really establish a consistent pattern on drops. For one the deer seldom drop in the same place. The food source in the winter is the key to finding drops where I look. Find the food source you find the drops. The deer yard up in different areas because of this and that can put them on property I can not look in. Antler hunting has become a huge interest and lots of guys go it. I have seen some nice bucks drop in April but I can never remember any in May. So I think for the most part drops are mostly consistent from year to year as far as when they drop. 1st of February through the middle of March are when most of the bucks drop in the areas I look.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:50 am

dan wrote:
But, I also know from deer farm studies that in a low stress area deer will drop pretty close to the same date every year individually. I think it was something like within a 48 hour window, it might have even been tighter than that.

So, if a certain buck dropped on January 7th, the next year he would be at about the same date. But another buck in the same heard may drop march 3rd give or take a day every year...

Genetic?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:53 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
dan wrote:

So, if a certain buck dropped on January 7th, the next year he would be at about the same date. But another buck in the same heard may drop march 3rd give or take a day every year...

Genetic?

Sure sounds that way.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
dan wrote:

Genetic?

:think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 am

Stress causing bucks to drop makes it sound like they aren't supposed to drop to me. I hold with the belief that it purely related to a bucks testosterone levels. I am sure quality and availability of food relates to testosterone. So in a round about way, stress plays a role but it's the bucks testosterone that dictates the drop.

I bet in areas where guys are reporting late 3rd rut activity the bucks will all be holding late.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 am

I'm sure photoperiodism is a main signal for the buck to drop (just like it is for racks to grow, rut to start, etc). The winter solstice is in late Dec. Then the days get longer starting the signal is start drop. Every deer is an individual as to when they drop.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 am

I think deer "stress" would have to be more than the rut. Every deer goes through the rut. I'd say the rut combined with injury, or rut and lack of food. So I think the rut wears them down, but you need other factors to cause enough stress to lose racks early. But these are just my guess, and I have no real proof of anything....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 am

James wrote:Stress causing bucks to drop makes it sound like they aren't supposed to drop to me. I hold with the belief that it purely related to a bucks testosterone levels. I am sure quality and availability of food relates to testosterone. So in a round about way, stress plays a role but it's the bucks testosterone that dictates the drop.

I bet in areas where guys are reporting late 3rd rut activity the bucks will all be holding late.

I agree with this theory.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 am

I hunt on a huge piece of private land. The bucks that live in the areas with better nutrition seem to hold their antlers much longer.
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:27 am

How (if at all) does geography play into this whole equation?

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Interesting theories with a little of everything mentioned here...

http://www.tecomate.com/content/index.p ... _priocess/
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:55 pm

tmarbut wrote:How (if at all) does geography play into this whole equation?

Rut timing & growth period timing... As mentioned the testosterone level dropping gets the antler to drop, but that occurrence seems to loose its consistency when stressed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 am

Spysar wrote:I'm sure photoperiodism is a main signal for the buck to drop (just like it is for racks to grow, rut to start, etc). The winter solstice is in late Dec. Then the days get longer starting the signal is start drop. Every deer is an individual as to when they drop.

These are pretty much my thoughts. The antlers must drop within a time frame every year so they are in hard horn at a certain time frame ever year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”