Hunting Nebraska

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Hunting Nebraska

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 am

Do any of y'all hunt public ground in NE?

I am wanting to do a "new out of state hunt" next year. I am thinking of the states with OTC license / permits, Nebraska is top of my list.

Not looking for anyone's honey hole, just seeking advice and pointers from those that have either looked into Nebraska, or actually hunt there.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Hunting Nebraska

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 pm

Pm Spysar

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Are you looking to hunt whitetail or mulies?

I hunted NW Nebraska around Crawford for mule deer but it was about 15 years ago. Had a great time spotting and stalking there and had plenty of public land to hunt. Can't say how it is out there right now but I know Nebraska was hit very hard with EHD last year.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:34 am

AS was said, NE was hit hard with EHD. It will be a few more years before the herd recovers. It used to be a great place to go. I'm just one person, and I found dozens of dead deer the year it hit. Me and my friends picked up over 2 dozen bucks of 8 points or better that year. The woods stunk of death everywhere. Where I hunt I'd say 70% of the deer are gone....The DNR may say different, but I know what was there before EHD, and what was left after it came. It wasn't pretty. Plus the EHD wiped out the big bucks more so than the smaller ones. The EHD midges can bite through the velvet. The bigger the rack, the more surface area for the midges to attack. When the velvet is bloody and coming off, the midges get them good then. Once EHD is in the blood stream, it doesn't take long for the deer to die.

In response to the EHD, NE cut tags by the thousands. This was a smart move. I bet the herd will recover, but it will take 3 or 4 years I'd say.

On the property I hunt, prior to EHD, we were killing 140 to 170" bucks. Now it's hard to see a 130" buck.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks guys. Maybe I will continue to research NE and plan to hunt in a few years.

I waas planning on hunting Mule and Whitetail. Thought about a week of each. Figured I would probably have to hunt two seperate regions of the state for each species.

Spystar, it sounds like EHD hit there like I seen in SE Ohio back in 2007 or 2008. I dont think the herd there has still yet recooped. Your description mirrors what we seen. I would ride around in the morning and evenings and the smell would be so strong you could smell desd deer from inside the truck with the windows up!

Thanks for the info.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:58 am

In general muleys are further west, and whiteys to the east. You can probably find areas that have both. I believe you will only be able to hunt one or the other. The deer tags are good for 1 deer, muley or whitetail. Since the EHD Non res can only get one tag. I don't think the muleys got hit by EHD like the whitetails. And not all areas of the state got hit hard also. If you do a lot of good research you can probably do good. If you make it an annual hunt, instead of a one year and gone, you will do better and better as you gain knowledge of your area.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am

Western N. Dakota? Has both Whites & Muleys also. (Aug 30th was season opener)
Magic Man and I considered the early season hunt a few years back but is tough to pull off w/ a young child.

Now that my season has been over for two weeks I've been dreaming of next year too...
ND has been on my list, but logistics hurt the hunting aspect, meaning;
If I can't drive within a reasonable distance, say under 8-10-hours, it means the hunting trip is either a 7-10 day event or a destination trip (flying)

MD also has an earlier deer season than NH (2013 open on 9/9). (It's approximately an 8-hour drive for me)
I was trying to coerce a few buddies but one does a Wyoming trip @ his in-laws every year and the other is a big fisherman so archery waits until fishing season is over.
Even asked Spy (he politely dodged the question - LOL) but he has his mid-west thing going on and does well with that; so understandably I'd stick to that...

Was trying to find someone to help w/ the gas bill (being from New England); I figured scouting 2-times in spring then a couple of 5-day weekends for hunting; this being a good outlet and value for all season long.
It is a multi-buck state if you're lucky/skilled enough (I hope to have the first :D ), you can earn the second buck tag w/ two Doe kills...

How about KY or MO?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”