Hunting and scouting alone

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Hunting and scouting alone

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Im a lone wolf these days. Anybody else in this boat? As I quickly approach my 40s it seems like all of my old hunting partners have quit hunting or settled into a shooting shack somewhere on a small chunk of private. Even though I own my own land and hunt it occasionally that's just not my style. I prefer the large tracts of public. My son is 12 and will be joining me in the up coming years I hope but I have basically been alone now for the last 5 years. Pulling deer out isn't getting any easier for me and it just get down right lonely sometimes when I don't have someone to share tactics n tricks with.

TravisB

Re: Hunting and scouting alone

Unread postby TravisB » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I much prefer to hunt alone. Too much baggage with hunting partners. It's nice to get together and hunt sometimes, just for fun, but for serious hunting, I'm all about me.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:12 pm

I've been hunting alone mainly. Last few years my brother has started coming with me. It complicates things sometimes, but the memories and spending time after dark is more then worth it. We don't do well, but we have fun. My friends that are scared to leave the state laugh at me and think its stupid I go out of state and don't get anything. They don't get it, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I'm a few years older then you and my son is 10. It won't be long and he will join us.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I am a lone wolf when it comes to bowhunting and scouting. I like having the freedom to do what I want and not have to plan around somebody else. I don't have anything against hunting and scouting with others it's just that I feel like I am less effective with distractions and don't focus like I should.

The gun season is when the guys get together. It's a nice change of pace after hunting by myself all fall.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:05 am

i'm a lone wolf too. i do hunt the first day or 2 of muzzleloader and gun season with my uncle, but bowhunting i'm almost always solo. i prefer it that way. i really don't have any friends that bowhunt anyway.. well one guy, but he's 60 and a chain smoker who can't do much physically. i put him in one of my good early season bow stands once.. at the end of the hunt, i walked down to the stand to find him picking up all his cigarette butts. i don't smoke, and would never smoke in the stand. i guess that might explain why that spot went cold for a while. that was the last time he sat in one of my spots, but at least he picked up his trash.

now that i'll be doing more beast style hunting, i'll be doing it alone more than ever and i'm fine with that, but it is fun to share a hunt in the deer woods with someone. some of my fondest hunting memories are gun hunts with my uncle.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:30 am

I'm approaching 40 in a few too and have 12 yr old son as well. He tags along once in a while. I hope he will start to go with me more. I try to take my 6 yr old out in the early season too. I hunt with a friend in his 50's a few times a year, but other than that, It's Hans Solo time. I enjoy the company, but also appreciate the solitude, something great about being alone deep in the woods. I prefer to scout alone, most people are impatient and want to rush through it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:20 am

I have always been a lone wolf in regards to bowhunting. I could never find anyone that could keep up and stay dedicated to hunting like I do. My dedication to hunting is not for everyone and I wouldnt expect someone to hunt like me either. I BS with my hunting friends after a kill etc but that's about it. It seems I've been burned by hunting with friends on private ground. The so called friends I hsd would get mad because I would go out hunting on my own and not tell them where exactly I was and what patterns I were on. Sooner or later I was the odd man out....no thanks I won't be doing that again.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:28 am

I've been hunting alone (other than duck hunting) for the last five years. I started bow hunting with a friend and we hunted with his cousins for 6 or 7 years. girl friends became wives and hunting with people just stopped. I am not as serious as hunting as most of you. I go when I can and as much as I can, but I miss the group.
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:36 am

Im a lone wolf also - I have been burned in the past with tag alongs so I prefer to go in alone. I have a best buddy that is the only one I can trust who hunts and scouts like I do and is the only one I will hunt with. Friendships can easily be ruined by greed and hunting has a big part of it and have seen a couple good friendships ruined by areas that produce - and its not worth it in my mind so I usually go my own way and it seems to work better that way - for me at least.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:53 am

solo DIY, it's to hard to find someone to get on the same page with the same goals, heck just camping alone is refreshing to me. I live in a big city, if I wanted to be around people I would hunt close to home. Some view folks as selfish or greedy, but I am all for it. It's your life your time, you can share it with someone if you want, but your true friends and outdoorsman understand if you roll solo.

At some point as we age I am sure it changes, but live large while you can!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:25 am

I hunted 100% by myself this year. I don't mind hunting with others. It's more about the fun than anything else for me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:29 am

Im mostly a solo hunter. I have gotten a friend of mine into bowhunting and my brother this year. The times we went together, we would sit in different areas and see nothing. The same with my friend. No action. When I hunt alone, I see animals, and fill tags. Dont know what it is, but I do way better going alone.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:30 am

For the most part I hunt alone. Mainly because the guys I know don't have the same goals I have. They would rather tramp through the woods hoping to run a buck into their buddy or vice versa. I prefer to try and single one out and be stealthy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:57 am

oldrank wrote: [glow=red]I don't have someone to share tactics n tricks with[/glow].

Same here. Im kinda a blacksheep in my social ring because I hunt and almost all my friends and family do not. Thats why I hang out here in these forums. This is the only group of people that Im aware of who share the same love for the outdoors that I can come to for advice.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:45 am

Hunt alone always. Scout alone always...Heck I even FISH alone the vast majority of the time.

I learned a lot of lessons being a hardcore walleye fisherman. All I needed was a reminder a few times and I could see a direct comparison between the two....Find a good spot with a buddy? Oftentimes what you've done is find HIM a good spot to share with others.

Carpool to a fishing or hunting area? Not when his wife feels free to call and manipulate him into coming home before the boat's wet or the bow's out of the case....I've been two hours from home and he's gotten "the call".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”