Why the passion?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Why the passion?

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Hunting the public land has its drawbacks.......that's for sure.

Why are some of us drawn to it like a moth to a flame?

What say you?

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Jackson Marsh

Re: Why the passion?

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:38 pm

I like the freedom to roam around and the excitement of finding new areas to hunt. I like the challenge of trying to out smart a buck and other hunters. I like the fact it is not easy (public or private) to kill a nice buck. I like that I only have to follow the game laws.

I like that I don't have to tell anyone where I am hunting. I like that if I want to dive into a bedding area and probably screw it up I can just hunt another one tomorrow.

On the rare occasions when I am successful, I get a rush knowing that any bowhunter could have hunted where I was, but I found the spot and got the kill.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:39 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:41 pm

If there was a "like" button I would hit it for jackson marshs' comment, couldnt of said it better

brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm

With that bein said ive never shot a "big" buck in my life soooo....

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:11 pm

You don't have to shine any boots to hunt there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Like Neil said I like to have room to roam and explore new areas at will. I would go crazy being stuck hunting a small acreage of private land even if my odds for killing a big buck were very good there every year. The option of hunting new scenery whenever I want is very appealing to me. I have hunted public all over the state and I believe that if you put in the hard work you can get on great mature bucks anywhere in WI. Nothing is more satisfying than killing a good public land buck.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:01 pm

I really like the challenge. It feels like a big dose of reality every time i'm out there in a really big place. Its not an easy place but the rewards can be overwhelming if you put in the effort. Also just knowing that there are people like the beast's that can actually kill bucks out here on a consistent basis keeps me rolling along even with little success because I know every time i try it is a lesson learned.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:26 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:On the rare occasions when I am successful, I get a rush knowing that any bowhunter could have hunted where I was, but I found the spot and got the kill.

This is why I hunt public.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am

The price is right!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:32 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I like the freedom to roam around and the excitement of finding new areas to hunt. I like the challenge of trying to out smart a buck and other hunters. I like the fact it is not easy (public or private) to kill a nice buck. I like that I only have to follow the game laws.

I like that I don't have to tell anyone where I am hunting. I like that if I want to dive into a bedding area and probably screw it up I can just hunt another one tomorrow.

On the rare occasions when I am successful, I get a rush knowing that any bowhunter could have hunted where I was, but I found the spot and got the kill.

Well said JM.... X2

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:37 am

I hate property lines.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:45 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I like the freedom to roam around and the excitement of finding new areas to hunt. I like the challenge of trying to out smart a buck and other hunters. I like the fact it is not easy (public or private) to kill a nice buck. I like that I only have to follow the game laws.

Yep... I especially dislike land owner rules... Every one of them seems to have some sort of rule that effects your ability to hunt. I really love the pride in killing a huge buck at his own terms, no food plot, no manipulation, and despite anyone else that is after him. Its like winning the super bowl, you did not raise him, you did not lock him in, you figured him out like a puzzle.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:42 am

I see it this way. I am thinking of buying a piece of land in Menominee Co. Mich. A 40 is about 50k. I will pay 500-800 dollars in taxes every year till I sell it. When I sell it I will pay 20% of the gains to the wastefull government to boot. If I keep it 30 years I most likely won't make any money after taxes and to have 50k invested just to shoot a deer or two a year is not worth it to me especially if I see trespassers. So, a small parcel close to big chunks of public will have to do for up north and Kettle Moraine down here. Public land is already paid for.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:45 am

Very well said Jackson! Its kind of to the point now were I don't think I will hunt anything but public ever again, just love the challenge of it, the freedom, everything! Seems like a lot of times just locating a good buck is half the challenge, even laying eyes on a good public buck can be considered a successful hunt in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”