How do you guys hunt Mountains vs Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SneakyHunter

How do you guys hunt Mountains vs Hill Country

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Locally we have mostly mountains vs Hill Country. The majority of these mountains/ridges rise vertically about 600-1000ft and they don't offer many terrain features. There are some big saddles and flats. In some areas there's Ag (private) at the bottom but mostly its just vast woods that have about 11 dpsm (depressing, I know). Other than the occasional clear-cut its either mountain laurel or open timber. I try to hunt edges and known doe bedding areas. How would you guys go about hunting this situation?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How do you guys hunt Mountains vs Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 am

Deer still bed using thermals and wind, and terrain features just like in the video, but there are added challenges cause of height, bedding height, getting above the deer, deer dropping to food, etc... I have not hunted whitetails in actual mountains, hopefully some of the members who have can comment.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:28 am

Would like to hear from someone hunting mountain country in Idaho or Montana, not eastern Montana river areas.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:38 am

Here in East KY the hills hit 1200-1400ft just about everywhere. Everything Dan states in the hill country video is spot on. I've never killed a buck sitting on a field edge or food plot. To much pressure round here and these big bucks don't get old by walking round in fields during the day. You gotta get high on the hill and as close to that core area as you can.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”