Beast Thoughts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Beast Thoughts

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Went and checked a spot today that the deer have disappeared from in early December the last few years. This year there appear to be enough around for a hunt. Also found a big buck bed on a little knoll in a marsh 30 yards off a tree line.

Northeast wind will be perfect if the forecast holds for the am. It looked like he was there today based upon the tracks and bed and the weather we have had today. Don't think I bumped him, but certainly could have. It's a high human traffic area, so I'm hoping for a little forgiveness. Forest Preserve property on three sides, so they see and smell plenty of people. They don't take too kindly to people in trees though...

Questions:
1. If I was in there this afternoon (not expecting there to be much in the area), did I bugger it up too bad for a morning hunt?
2. For a morning set trying to beat them to their bed, how early should I be in?

This is NE IL with the storm coming and knowing he's has been there in the last day or so and a perfect wind forecasted for the morning, I'm thinking probably worth a shot.

Any thoughts welcome. I saw about a 150" 10 come off of this knoll in November but get downwind. Hoping its the same deer.

Zap

Re: Beast Thoughts

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:12 pm

Hunt the sign while its hot and the conditions are right.

Glad to hear that you found some good sign.... 8-)
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I would hunt AM and if he doesn't show I would try to pick up his track from that morning and see where he headed and proceed accordingly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Always good to have someone else agree with you!

This spot has been a great rut spot the last few years but dead as of the first cold snap after the rut. This year the wetlands matured quite a bit and seems to be holding deer better late. Hopefully I can beat him back in the morning.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 am

No bucks. Had a doe and a fawn come through though. Great morning to be in the woods with the snow falling. Hopefully I can get back on him in the next week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”