in the tree IWOM review

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

in the tree IWOM review

Unread postby Dor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 am

Forgive the broken sentences hard to type inn phone.

Like So far-
Seems warm.
Transports easy.
Pockets placed well

Don't like or not use to-
Legs constricted
Hand warmer holes to tight maybe.
Will need arm guard
Took a long time getting into this first try
Camo sucks.
I don't always wear harness(save the lecture), 100% will have to.with this. Maybe that's a positive.

More literate response after I'm done hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: in the tree IWOM review

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Back to the top. What do you think so far Dor? I think this is the route I want to go next season, but I'd like to see your review as well man :D
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 am

If they sold them in Yellow I would buy one so I could be a Minion in a tree!
Dor's Minion, it's got a nice ring too it...

I of course would shoot all the little deer for you, you know, everything under 130"!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:19 am

Edit below- Not much tree time to really review this well, but I sat 2 hours at 17 degrees and didn't get cold. Wasn't roasting either.

Like So far-
Seems warm.
Transports easy.
Pockets placed well

Don't like or not use to-
Legs constricted- will take some getting use to.
Hand warmer holes to tight maybe-this i think is by design, keeps the warm air in. I got use to it after a few hours in the tree. It is warm.
Will need arm guard- probably will need one, I haven't shot with it yet. I will this week. I am off till 2014
Took a long time getting into this first try.
Camo sucks.
I don't always wear harness(save the lecture), 100% will have to.with this. Maybe that's a positive.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 am

What is the camo ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:46 am

Mossy Oak Treestand.

Going to give it a good test tonight.

Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:04 pm

Hunted out of it tonight for 2 hours at zero degrees and a light wind. I did not get cold. At last light I had 3 deer come in on me about 20 yards to the side I wasn't expecting. I needed to turn a 180 to get into position. The suit made a good deal of noise and spooked the deer. It was snowing and the suit was not quiet at all with the frozen stuff sticking to it badly. The rubbing against the tree noise has been a constant issue, but tolerable, however tonights noise was not as the suit made all kinds of noise as I moved my arms (not bark noise) to get into position.

So far I would have to say that if you have a perfect set up and dry conditions it is a great piece of gear. However, the fabric is not very quiet and it is somewhat difficult to manuever around in for shots. Hunting 20 feet plus up in an area that you could see the deer coming would help this but if you are low to the ground in thick cover it is questionable.

Love the staying warm part, but I am debating returning the suit.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Dor give us a break down of how you dressed and distance walked on way in. Did you wear it as a jacket on way in, or pack it? The one time I used my HBS I realized how much I needed a turtle neck or scarf and some sort of face mask as the wind chilled my face and neck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Dor give us a break down of how you dressed and distance walked on way in. Did you wear it as a jacket on way in, or pack it? The one time I used my HBS I realized how much I needed a turtle neck or scarf and some sort of face mask as the wind chilled my face and neck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The last two hunts I have done were less than 100 yards from my truck. I carried it one time and put it on at the base of the tree. Arms on and climb. Attach safety harness and then put feet in and zip.

Today I just put the arms and harness strap on at truck and walked to tree.

One time I wore hiking boots. This helped in terms of moving around in stand easier within the suit. Tonight it was 20 degrees cooler so I wore my mucks. Move around "OK" with that.

I have been wearing my base layer, a KUIU spindrift jacket and a sitka vest over that.

Pants and base layer on bottom.

I absolutely despise not being able to hear well, so I have been wearing a stocking hat with my ears exposed when warm enough. It is very hard to hear IMO with the hood or hoods on while wearing the IWOM. Granted it is much much warmer with them on , but I feel sleepy when I get that warm.

djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:42 am

I bought one during thxgiving but haven't taken it to the woods yet. I agree with all the pro/con said above, I do think the noise factor becomes less as you break in the garment (noise is definitely noticable, especially when the velcro from the hood scratches it while drawing your bow).

The biggest drawback from my testing was how the garment twists if you have to make a shot to the sides or behind. Because the feet are enclosed you kind of have to walk around inside by chopping your feet, which I could see being a problem with a lone wolf because of the little ridges on the platform. If you have to quickly shoot to your right the garment twists and can be kind of constrictive.

I'm also thinking of returning mine and picking up cabelas wooltimate parka and bibs, not sure how warm the wooltimate is compared to the IWOM. I think the IWOM can perform well warmth wise but the whole twisting/binding really worries me.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 am

try pulling up on the bottom as you're turning. i do it with my hands inside the hand warmer. just pull up a little bit to take the slack out as you're turning and it won't twist up hardly at all.

dor, i wonder if yours is a different version than mine? mine is realtree ap. i wonder if it's a different fabric..
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:19 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:try pulling up on the bottom as you're turning. i do it with my hands inside the hand warmer. just pull up a little bit to take the slack out as you're turning and it won't twist up hardly at all.

dor, i wonder if yours is a different version than mine? mine is realtree ap. i wonder if it's a different fabric..

Thanks for the tip, I will be giving it a shot. I will be VERY happy if that resolves it.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:42 am

Thanks for the review Dor, bitter cold usually bring out the noise, think I will have to pass on the iwom.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:04 am

I have had my IWOM for two years. I have bowhunted in it, but largely gun hunt with it, as we do not have a legit late archery season in which a mz cannot be used.

The noise does quiet down some over time, but I agree that the fabric against the tree makes more than I would like. Still, its ability to keep me warmer than anything else on the market as easily is a trade-off.

Always as soon as you are hooked up, "scootch" up the excess fabric around your feet while standing and let it fall down naturally. This helps hugely when turning. I mean, its the difference between being able to turn and hardly at all.

The hardest part for me has been getting the zipper and suit closed at the knee-downward section. It is easier with regular lace up boots than mucks or lacrosse rubber boots. It is also easier to turn in the lace-ups.

I have a positive view of the product and will use it going forward, but buy it knowing that its designed to keep you warm in inclement weather. The HBS is nice, too, but it has some of the same or similar, or just different challenges in keeping you warm and in the game.

I generally roll it up and carry it in with the strap or honestly, I just ball it up and use a bungee as it is quicker for me. I was never able to get the garment to roll up quickly and quietly and as fast as I want in the dark.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:58 am

You thought about the sitka incenerator series?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”