Rut Setups

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Re: Rut Setups

Unread postby keb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Blown down trees, two edges different vegetation types are hugh ones, open woods next to a strip of thick stuff ect.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. It's nice to know I'm on track with the locations in picking out.

In regards to transitions of open woods to thicker cover, what takes precedence...an elevation funnel on the leeward side of a ridge or a thick transition line at the bottom of the mountain?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:04 pm

It depends, I don't have a ton of experience hunting steep hill type terrian, but I did this year witness the 3/4 deal does not always apply, there was pressure in the area I was hunting, and the big deer would stay about half way down, I assume in the thermal tunnel, I watched them cut to the bottom to avoid tight bottle necks I was in and go up the other side with the wind blowing up their u no what.

So only time in a given scenario can answer that question.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:03 am

Doesn't look to thick. Looks perfect to me. Good luck man!!!
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:40 am

Jay wrote:Doesn't look to thick. Looks perfect to me. Good luck man!!!

Thanks Jay! There's definitely a decent buck bedding back in the northern area... I just can't get in there to hunt him..those pictures are the more open areas... The thick places are 6 foot high with briars... I went to the north side once and is a good looking area with a hill point..definitely bedding in there but it was a nightmare to get to... Another thing is an east wind isn't too common....we'll see what happens!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”