Deer Movement, true or false?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Deer Movement, true or false?

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 pm

If it is raining or snowing hard enough to make me want to hunker down and seek shelter; the weather is inclement enough to make deer want to do the same thing.

Discuss

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Dewey

Re: Deer Movement, true or false?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:06 pm

False. I have seen some of my biggest bucks on days with extremely bad weather. On heavily pressured public it's almost like mature bucks know it's safe because less hunters will be out due to bad weather. This doesn't apply to all deer in general but I have seen this enough on mature bucks to make me take notice. If it's a bad weather day I make sure I'm out there if I have a buck tag.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:18 pm

I often see bigger bucks moving in a light to steady rain. Storms or severe weather usually before n after

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:24 pm

Bucky wrote:I often see bigger bucks moving in a light to steady rain. Storms or severe weather usually before n after

Same here.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:27 pm

I've only seen my biggest target buck of the 2012 and 2013 seasons during a steady rain, not a down pour. That is why I call him "Wet Dream"...I'll be looking for his sheds in the next month or so.

As for the late season...Sub Zero Temps + Snow generally equals excellent movement. I've had some of my favorite big buck encounters during HEAVY snow during the late season.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Tropical storms breaking branches and cracking lightning really gets them moving. Problem is your tree moves too much in the wind to hold steady.

Yes I am serious.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
3dpinwheeler

Unread postby 3dpinwheeler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:35 am

Killed my two biggest bucks in high winds and rain. Seen aalot of big buck movement during storms like that. Thunder storms are different not sitting in a tree with lighting dancing around. The poorer the weather the more I like to hunt. My wife thinks im nuts.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:39 am

Sometimes true and sometimes false. Seen them move in some crazy weather before. Maybe they didn't want to move but they were on their feed getting what food they could before they did head to cover.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 am

When I was younger I hunted in thunder storms and heavy rains. Never saw any movement in those conditions. Now I would not hunt in those conditions, ever.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 am

Big rain storms - maybe they do, but I don't really feel like being out in that. Particularly lightning lol.
Light rains - deer like to move in light rains.

Snow - I love hunting snow. You can tell how fresh tracks are to within a few minutes, it really hurts the ability of deer see movement.

Big blizzards are best of all - the deer stack up in secluded valleys and such in bluff country out of the wind. If the storm is of long duration they will be on their feet feeding whatever preferred browse is down there, you can have lots of action. That type of movement is kind of hard to bow hunt because the deer are all mixed together but I generally am muzzleloader hunting then so I can back off a bit. I have had tons of awesome hunts doing this.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:25 pm

I am of the school that 'deer' (I know we're not hunting deer but big bucks--which I have less experience than most here) move in clear, calm (light breeze) weather the most. Everything less that that = less movement. Do they move, yeah sometimes, but less in my experience. If you are strictly beast hunting, maybe it doesn't matter, since you are set up in the staging area anyway.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:37 pm

Although I know deer do and will move in storms and have seen them. The time I most want to be in the woods is when I breaks and you get the first good weather after a bad weather stretch. That is when I see most of my deer activity.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 am

have taken several nice bucks in pouring rain & driving snow(when they areny supposed to move) lol, Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”