The missing link

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

The missing link

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:15 pm

This one is to all the guys out there that consider themselves consistent big buck killers. What step did you take or what would you say was the missing link when you really switched from avg bucks to killing the big boys consistently? I am a public land hunter in Michigan so kinda wanting to hear from the public hunters that hunt high pressure situations. I just feel like Im missing one step. It took yrs of hunting to become a consistent buck killer on public but Im pushing hard to cross the line for yearly success on 120" type animals. What was your missing link ?

christian1
500 Club

Re: The missing link

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:35 pm

While we are at it I could use a few tips to consistently kill average bucks on public land.

chris
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:35 pm

While we are at it I could use a few tips to consistently kill average bucks on public land.

chris
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:44 pm

christian1 wrote:While we are at it I could use a few tips to consistently kill average bucks on public land.

chris

Lol while we're at it let's talk about how to just see a buck... Any buck lol.... I finally saw a deer this afternoon

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Consistency and public land dont' always go hand in hand, a massive scouting effort is necessary I know that for sure. The marsh bucks tactics are rock solid, you just have to apply them to your land and bust some tail. Like anything it might not come right away but you get rewarded in the end.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Its not "one missing link" its lots of little things... Guess the biggest thing is if you strive to kill small deer thats exactly what you will accomplish. You have to hunt big bucks, if you wish to shoot big bucks. Its like they are a different species than "deer"
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Agree with what has been said, really no "missing link" or magic, mostly just hard work. Think you have to recognize the differences between, deer hunting, buck hunting and trophy hunting. Hunt mostly public land, when you say Michigan, public land, big buck and consistent in the same sentence, the odds aren't in your favor. We have lived in the Allegan State Game area in SW Michigan for 20 years, and see deer almost on a daily basis, but would say the number of trophy bucks that I've seen here, could count on one hand, can't kill what isn't there. Killed many deer here in Michigan over the years, and crossed the same point of killing big bucks in the late 90's, most years would fill 2 buck tags that we would get on a combination license, but wasn't the quality of buck I was after at that point. Really looked at what I wanted from my hunting, that's when I became a traveling hunter and really never looked back. The free time is to valuable not to do what you want to do, haven't bought a deer license in Michigan now in 8 years, don't think I've missed a thing, just glad we have a good fishery here.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:26 am

I disagree.

I feel the 'missing link' for most is what this site is basically based on, hunting a big buck in his staging area near his bed. Until you do this you have very little perspective on just how little ground a mature buck covers in daylight.

Once you begin to scout these areas, understand how bucks use them regarding wind, realize how sensitive they are and how they must be hunted, everything else seems to fall into place, for the most part...

I agree there are lots of little things that contribute to being successful, but none of them matter if you are not hunting that buck where he lives during daylight.

You can have the quietest setup, play the wind perfectly, be on the freshest sign, etc... but if the buck your after is bedded a 1/4 mile a way, you will need a lot of luck...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 am

ONLY BASED ON WHAT I HAVE READ...OR SEEN ON THE HCB VIDEO, I would think these things would make a big part of the difference:

1) Hunting where mature bucks are known to exist in huntable numbers. As an example my brother has killed numerous trophy bucks (140/150s) or bigger...he doesn't play the wind or play scent control freak really...he is otherwise a good hunter but he does a lot of things "wrong" according to textbook...the difference is there are a lot of mature bucks around where he hunts.
2) Learn the wind in your area and how to properly hunt that wind.
3) Learn the mature buck bedding areas and figure out how best to hunt them.

As Dan noted, a lot of little things all together.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:32 am

One thing that I might consider the "missing link" is to understand what works to get on mature bucks on public land and why, and sometimes it takes throwing everything you know about deer hunting and throwing it out the window. Lots of times you see new posters show up and you can tell right away that they have had that "light bulb" moment and they are ready to tackle the woods. Other times there is a disconnect with the tactics that need to be done to get on public land.

I hunted with a couple of buds this year when I shot my buck. Oct 25th was the 2nd time I had hunted this particular area, the one guy argued up and down with me that he would be hunting that area all the time, he just didn't get it even after several explanations. His brother kind of had the light bulb moment, he understood that the only reason that buck was in that location was because no one had been hunting that area for over a month.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 am

The missing link may simply be hunting a piece of public that has a few 3yr old + deer. Not all public is created equal. Marshes/swamps or bluff like hills up your odds of finding 120"+ deer
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 am

I think my light bulb moment was when I first watched the marsh bucks video a few years ago. However due to life I wasnt able to get into the woods as much as needed the last few yrs. Now I am back to being able to spend 15 plus days a month in the woods. I dont have problems killing public land bucks. I dont have problems killing 2.5 yr old bucks... My problem is I know I am not killing the biggest bucks in the woods and the time is now for me to do so. I am 39. I am still agile and motivated and I figure my 40s I need to peak in my hunting career. I have to make the change.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 am

Another thing is hard work. You need to thouroghly scout your hunting area in spring, keep tabs on the deer in summer, and put yourself in the right spot at the right time in fall. Sounds easy, but it's not. I know, I don't put in the time needed to figure them out completely. It's hard to narrow it down to one thing. But here is an attempt. You need to know where a buck will be, when you plan to kill him.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:09 am

If you can spend 15 full or even half days in the woods this spring I think you will up your odds significantly. Post up what you find in the scouting forum for extra help if you have any questions.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:11 am

Tadmdad wrote:Agree with what has been said, really no "missing link" or magic, mostly just hard work.

Yes. Effort effort effort. Scout your but off, be mobile, be versatile, start hunting big bucks and quit hunting just deer. The #1 difference when I look at average joes who consistently get it done versus average joes that don't is effort.

Effort applies to the bit about hunting where mature bucks are too. If there are very few where you live, you have to go find them. I could spend all my time hunting a couple of properties close to home but instead I have spots scattered over a three county area because they are the best I could find and I am constantly looking for new spots.

keep in mind there are many, many ways to consistently kill big bucks. If you box yourself into one specific strategy you are leaving some cards on the table. IMO a single "strategy" is not the magic pixie dust.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”