What's The Biggest Buck.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

What's The Biggest Buck.....

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 am

What's the biggest buck you ever passed up?(be honest) And why did you pass it up? Did you regret passing up that buck? Or were you rewared with a bigger one for your efforts?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
hotterthantiffany

Re: What's The Biggest Buck.....

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:28 am

I guess I wouldn't say passed up, more like I did't feel I had a good shot. But he was a beautiful double droptine and I am hoping he is still around to get another wack at 'em!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am

110-115 range because i knew their were older, larger bucks in the area. I actually passed on one of the bucks on my hit list last year. Not because i wanted to but b/c the shot wasnt right. It has been the pinacle of my hunting career thus far. Im thinking he should make pope and young this year if he made it thru. Guess I'll put him down and measure him later :mrgreen: Never have shot a buck w/ gun or bow, this year will be different.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 am

Last year I passed up a 120" - 130" 10 point. I passed him up at 20 yards, I new there were more mature deer that I wanted a crack at. I ended the season eating my tag, but I did have an shot at a 130" - 140" 10 point but couldn't seal the deal.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am

hotterthantiffany wrote:I guess I wouldn't say passed up, more like I did't feel I had a good shot. But he was a beautiful double droptine and I am hoping he is still around to get another wack at 'em!

Dawn, it takes a lot of will power to hold off on a 15 yard shot like you did and it speaks highly of you. That buck you passed is still alive in the ol' man's woods and he's not gonna be disturbed by anyone so get after him again this year. I hope you call me with some shake in your voice this fall ;)
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 am

Two years ago gained permission to hunt some pretty good land in central WI (can't hunt anymore, land is sold). One of the stipulations was 125" minumum on bucks. I passed at least 6 different bucks that year in the 115" to 125 don't take the chance class. 100" bucks where running every where and seen at least 1 buck a night, most days multiple bucks.

Comming from the northwoods of WI where a 120" is a bona fide shooter it was a very humbling year of hunting. Most times just sat in my stand with my jaw wide open regarding the type of activity I saw compared to northern WI. Told myself this is how all the plu-plop video hunters can shoot good bucks year in and year out.....good land.

Sigh, :( the land was/is a gold mine but no longer can access as it is sold.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 am

Probably about 120" This year I am rasing the bar to 130" At least thats the plan. I have a hard time letting them go once they hit P&Y. But I know you got to pass a few to get that feeling, that you know you did the right thing. ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:26 am

About 160... Had a world class buck running around and just one tag. I shot a smaller buck late season.
I seen footage of Andrae passing a mid 170's net booner while he was hunting a bigger buck.
I have never regretted passing anything... Been a time or two that I regretted shooting though ;)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 am

115-120 inch
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Probably 115-120 range. Since I've been hunting almost exclusively public land the last 7 years or so I hesitate to pass those up. However my goal is to shoot a pope and young qualifier this year. Given the new information I've picked up from watching the Marsh Bucks dvd (thanks again Dan :D ) my chances should improve.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

I passed up a 120" range 10 point on the morning of Oct 25th last year. That same evening I was rewarded and shot a 5 year old slob.

In 2008 I recall passing on a marginal P&Y (120+-) buck in SC Wisconsin at first dawn, it was hard to make out much in the way of age on the buck since it was still foggy but I guessed him as a 2.5 year old.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:49 pm

Guys I know I am going to get some chuckles on this one so bare with me....I passed up a 85-90 inch, 8-9 point this year. That is the largest buck I have ever passed up. Prior to a lot of the knowledge I have picked up over the past few years, I may have only seen 1 buck over 90 inches in any given year. But the tide has been turning toward my side and I am closing the gap. I was happy to pass that buck and felt great about it as he walked off. He was in a remote spot, I am hoping he continues to make the spot his home and I get a chance at him this year at 3.5 years of age.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm

137" 8pt on video and he ended up getting shot a few days later. I wouldve shot him but I was holding off for something really big since I already shot a 140" 8 the same year.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:57 pm

No chuckles here shadow, that's called being honest in my book
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Passed a mature 8 point at 17 yards, had the pin locked as he stood in the wide open. Not sure what he would have scored, maybe 130", his left side was tall thick and beautiful. His right was stunted by 2/3, thus I passed. The next morning at daybreak I stalked and shot a 120" 8 point as he stood from his bed. Everything was perfect except I flinched horribly at the shot and hit him in the hind leg. He went down immediately and lunged into a patch of prickly ash. I knocked up and ran to circle the prickly ash, he busted at close range and I shot him on a dead run, again in the hind leg. He ran into a valley where I gave him 4 hours to lay. Upon returning, I heard him get up and exit to the opposite ridge. I found multiple beds and my second arrow on the valley floor. I decided to leave the track and circle ahead to a point he would likely bed on. I kicked him up on the point and missed my second running attempt, he stopped roughly 100 yards out. He was in rough shape and had lost all use of one hind. I would have given my eye teeth for a rifle at that moment. He stumbled down to the next valley where I left him another 4 hours. I returned with a hour of daylight and crept thru a ravine hoping to catch him bedded. It wasn't long before I spotted an ear thru the brush, I took an ill advised shot and missed on a deflection. Now I had only 1 arrow, the one I found in his bed. With only 2 fletchings and a bent blade I had to make this one count. I crouched on my knees and moved toward him at an angle avoiding eye contact. He held ground and allowed an open 25 yard shot which I made true. I haven't cried in the woods since I was 12 after missing my first buck but if there was ever a reason to justify, hearing him go down would be it.

I'm glad I passed that stunted buck and ventured out the next morning, the result was a hunt of great memory and meaning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”