Obsession with One Particular Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: Obsession with One Particular Buck

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:09 am

I got game cam photos of this buck in 2006. He was the biggest bodied deer (come season) I'd ever seen. I clipped him in the leg on 9/12/2006 and was heartbroken. I thought I'd never see him again, but tried my best to figure out where he liked to hang out. I saw him again on the day after Thanksgiving in 2006, no worse for wear. No limp. Nothing. I actually had him at the base of my tree and had no ethical shot. He walked.

I had taken a buck that he ran with on the 15th of December. Here's a photo of both of them, together.

On the closer of 2006, he walked by me and I didn't have a tag for him.

I saw him again, that evening. He made it! I got another gamecam photo of him in almost the exact same spot.....looking the same way (direction) he'd done in 2006.

I saw him on 11/3 of 2007....and again on 11/4. No shot, even though he as inside 10yds on both days. 1st day he walked by before LST. Second time, he was on the heels of a doe and didn't offer a shot. On 11/6/2007, he came out and offered a shot.....and I took him.

The below photo is the two bucks from the previous gamecam shot.

Lateral Bowhunter
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 am

Nice work JV NC 8-)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 am

I have gotten sucked into the trap of spending too much time after one deer before, at the end of the season I look back and get frustrated with myself for essentially wasting a bunch of low odds hunts. Often there are only one or two resident bucks in a spot that I would take but I try to remind myself to keep it about the odds, if going after one particular buck starts seeming low odds I need to cut my losses and move on. There is a reason I hunt about 8 different chunks of public land.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:30 am

JV NC wrote:I got game cam photos of this buck in 2006. He was the biggest bodied deer (come season) I'd ever seen. I clipped him in the leg on 9/12/2006 and was heartbroken. I thought I'd never see him again, but tried my best to figure out where he liked to hang out. I saw him again on the day after Thanksgiving in 2006, no worse for wear. No limp. Nothing. I actually had him at the base of my tree and had no ethical shot. He walked.

I had taken a buck that he ran with on the 15th of December. Here's a photo of both of them, together.

On the closer of 2006, he walked by me and I didn't have a tag for him.

I saw him again, that evening. He made it! I got another gamecam photo of him in almost the exact same spot.....looking the same way (direction) he'd done in 2006.

I saw him on 11/3 of 2007....and again on 11/4. No shot, even though he as inside 10yds on both days. 1st day he walked by before LST. Second time, he was on the heels of a doe and didn't offer a shot. On 11/6/2007, he came out and offered a shot.....and I took him.

The below photo is the two bucks from the previous gamecam shot.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed this post. It's a very cool story.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”