Will Bucks Bed Close to Does in Low Thickets to Avoid Cold?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Will Bucks Bed Close to Does in Low Thickets to Avoid Cold?

Unread postby Clevinger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Or do they stick to their old spots, regardless of frigid temperatures?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Will Bucks Bed Close to Does in Low Thickets to Avoid Co

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 am

Clevinger wrote:Or do they stick to their old spots, regardless of frigid temperatures?

In fridged cold weather they have been known to sacrifice bedding for warmth, but still choose somewhat good spots, and are often in the same areas as the does at this time of year.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:52 am

dan wrote:
Clevinger wrote:Or do they stick to their old spots, regardless of frigid temperatures?

In fridged cold weather they have been known to sacrifice bedding for warmth, but still choose somewhat good spots, and are often in the same areas as the does at this time of year.

Thanks, Dan.

The other night, right at sunset, there were about 8 deer coming out of the woods and heading for a cornfield south of me all at once. Mostly does, but there was a buck in there as well. I've never seen so many deer moving together in the same direction, at the same time. They all had apparently been in a low-lying area of thickets, in the same general area.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 am

It does get easier to find bucks on cold weather. Bucks will change their bedding to be better protected from wind and maybe catch some sun but they still stay back "behind" doe groups for the most part.

I don't think they intentionally shield themselves with does, but they are wary enough to stick further back in the thick stuff. Does will bed closer and closer to food sources the colder it gets but bucks will still keep their distance as long as there is some hunting pressure. A favorite tactic of mine late season gun hunting is find where the does are bedding and start targeting the best bedding a few hundred yards or so depending on the situation behind where most of the does bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”