Franklin, Kentucky deer hunt next year.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tmarbut

Franklin, Kentucky deer hunt next year.....

Unread postby tmarbut » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 am

I have a friend that has agreed to come join me hog hunting this year in exchange for a deer hunt next year. Was just wondering if any Beasts are in or near the area that can offer advice/suggestions about best times to be there, license costs, etc.

Trying to begin formulating a game plan - as I sit watching it rain.

Thanks!

backstraps

Re: Franklin, Kentucky deer hunt next year.....

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

TTT

There has to be some advice in or around Franklin :think:
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:30 pm

There are good deer to be had in Franklin County the only "problem" is there are a ton of mast trees and large blocks of agriculture, water in creeks and cattle troughs are plentiful as well. My pal is an officer in that county and folks take some real nice deer out of there, it isn't christian or ballard county but there are big deer (150) to be had.
Good news/bad news: there are still a lot of large blocks of private land with few people hunting them allowing deer to grow and hide. Bad news, there are still a lot of landowners and farmhands that wander around in their trucks with rifles..everytime I've spent at least four days down there, on at least one hunt someone without permission has driven down a farm lane, or field edge or across a field road hunting...My pal hands out trespassing tickets all the time (has lease or document with who is allowed on property) while he is hunting..It is unreal. Pal had it happen last week..guy that drove across a large standing bean field right past his stand on a wooded point, and had the balls to waive as he went by (He went home, changed, when to his house and handed him the ticket)..It's just nuts

My pal and I have come to the conclusion that early season on summer pattern or late season (like now) is best. Rubs and scrapes are getting hammered right now..
If you are hunting a monitored limited access parcel, especially with some food nearby, December and later is great, the later the better it seems.

We are bowhunting first week of January..

Beast style hunting is as foreign as sushi down there. The vast majority have corn feeders set up in cut crop fields or just inside the woods with ladders stands. This is the type of country where that can still work on occasion..
Rattling can work I still refuse to try it but my pal rattles in bucks every year during muzzleloader season.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Best time for daylight movement (outside the rut) will be early through September or late season mid December through January.

Seek/chase bow hunt would be last week of October first week of November. Rut gun hunt would be second week of November.

Nonresident tags and license will run you $195.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:14 am

Many thanks for the thoughts & advice.
Honestly, my initial dates considered were the first week of November. I have a lot more to think about now!

I really appreciate all the wisdom shared!
TM

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:52 pm

I hunt Franklin and Owen county every season and have for the past 10 years. I always make my trip the last week of October or the first week of November. That is a perfect time to bow hunt. I had an earlier post in November of me arrowing a nice 8 point on film. The bucks were just starting to chase and I always see tons of deer. A beautiful part of Kentucky that everyone should see. Good luck man!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”