First Beast Style Hunt - Failed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

First Beast Style Hunt - Failed

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:00 am

Well I tried my first beast style hunt yesterday afternoon.

Here's the map on how I set up...the yellow dots are where i thought bedding would be with a north wind...the wind was suppose to shift to NW but it didn't much...I banked on a bed being on the next to last west dot so I thought I would sneak in on the white line and j hook from the top and setup. I got busted by a deer about where the white line is on my route....it blew at me from what seemed like somewhere in the white circle though it could have been higher...not sure if it was a doe or buck...about 2 hours after I setup dogs ran a deer back my way...not sure what it was either. If I didn't get busted, I wouldn't have hooked over into that other point so far...I would have setup just up from my white line. I just wonder if I should have taken that steep valley from the east up to the top of the ridge? I feel like part of the reason I got busted was noise....that's mostly hardwoods and every time I would walk "CRUNCH!" I tried walking real slow once I started getting into the woods a little bit. It took me about an hour just to walk in.

This was also my first time out with my lone wolf assaultII and sticks. Man I'm SLOW in setting up! I like the stand for the versatility in trees but the seat isn't comfortable to me...I've have a huntcomfort seat that I bought for ladder stands and bungeed the seat part to it. I was fairly quite in setting up...not loud metal clanks...I did silence my entire stand as much as possible when I got it so that helped. I'm hoping I get better at setup. I tested cam locking at at home on an oak tree close to ground level before hand and the platform had a slight wobble to it...definitely not rock solid....ended up taking the extra strap to stabilize the stand. When I cam lock, should it be really tight at the platform to where it doesn't move?

Man, this stuff is hard! I hope one day to kill another big buck...my first came out of sheer luck during rut many many years ago....I feel I'm on the right track but it's not an easy track.

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: First Beast Style Hunt - Failed

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:12 am

The pink dot is where I had planned to setup if I didn't get busted.

CMBOSTC
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CMBrumfi ... 3950568191

Unread postby CMBOSTC » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:18 am

I would guess that the bucks bed is where the white line is (at least one of them).

Chris
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:44 am

Each hunt is a learning experience for me! Looking I wonder if coming in from the valley on the west would have been better?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 am

I'd say you did ok. I hunted many hunts, just this year, before I scored.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:00 am

checkerfred wrote:[glow=red]This was also my first time out with my lone wolf assaultII and sticks. Man I'm SLOW in setting up! I like the stand for the versatility in trees but the seat isn't comfortable to me...I've have a huntcomfort seat that I bought for ladder stands and bungeed the seat part to it. I was fairly quite in setting up...not loud metal clanks...I did silence my entire stand as much as possible when I got it so that helped. I'm hoping I get better at setup. I tested cam locking at at home on an oak tree close to ground level before hand and the platform had a slight wobble to it...definitely not rock solid....ended up taking the extra strap to stabilize the stand. When I cam lock, should it be really tight at the platform to where it doesn't move?[/glow]

You will get better at this I promise and in no time you will get a set way of doing things that works best for you. Setting up should be slow because making any noise hunting Beast Style is a shortcut to failure. Practice cam locking more because there should be no wobble in the stand and it should be rock solid if done right.

Never look at any hunt as a failure. Every one is a learning experience to make you a better hunter in the future.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks guys... I thought about that after I posted... I shouldn't have said failure.... I learned a lot and actually feel like I'm hunting with a purpose instead of trying to get lucky.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:18 am

I don't think you failed at all. you got close to a deer and learned something from your experience. remember everything about this hunt and use it to your advantage in the future. also, beast hunting is just not going out and setting up where you think. it's a whole package. finding beds in the off season so you can plan your entrance, scouting scouting and more scouting, and then hunting. you did good.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 am

It's not easy. It's not for everyone too. Remember that. There are many many hunters on this forum that don't hunt beast style. It's not a cult. Take a little and apply it and go from there. You can't totally change your tactics 180 degrees and not expect some bumps along the way. As far as cam locking Assaults, much more difficult IMHO. Alphas cam lock so easy... Good luck! Keep practicing and it will get noticeably easier....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't think you failed at all. you got close to a deer and learned something from your experience. remember everything about this hunt and use it to your advantage in the future. also, beast hunting is just not going out and setting up where you think. it's a whole package. finding beds in the off season so you can plan your entrance, scouting scouting and more scouting, and then hunting. you did good.

Thanks Brian! This really is a great place...everyone is so helpful...I've not read one thread where someone wasn't trying to help someone else out.

Unfortunately, I just learned about the beast method and bought the dvd's after the season had started. I'm trying to read my maps and then get out in the field and hunt as planned of a setup as I can. I will definitely be scouting this off season starting right after hunting season is over. One thing that has me kinda bummed is that most of my land is only lower access..meaning valleys and part of the way up ridges. I do have a little top land but really only one spot with top access. It's so hard to find land to hunt here too....I ask everyone but so many people hunt. I think I'm gonna try some public land this year just for fun to help keep pressure off my areas.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:27 am

PLB wrote:It's not easy. It's not for everyone too. Remember that. There are many many hunters on this forum that don't hunt beast style. It's not a cult. Take a little and apply it and go from there. You can't totally change your tactics 180 degrees and not expect some bumps along the way. As far as cam locking Assaults, much more difficult IMHO. Alphas cam lock so easy... Good luck! Keep practicing and it will get noticeably easier....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thanks PLB! I'm learning that I have a lot of land that I can hunt that's not setup for beast style....but still knowing where they bed and why is helping out. When I tried cam locking the assault, it was on an oak tree....I lifted the platform, tightened the strap, then stepped on, weight on the seat bear hugging tree, lifted the platform and it dropped a bit...I lowered it and it was still some what wiggly....I did it twice just to make sure....maybe it would work better on pines?

I wish I had bought the alpha now, but I got a heck of a deal on the assault....$136....store wanted to get rid of them and had like 6 or 7
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:20 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I don't think you failed at all. you got close to a deer and learned something from your experience.

X2
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:18 am

The only way to get good at bed hunting, is to bed hunt. I have a list of bed hunting failures as long as my arm this year......so far. I'd say you did well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:36 am

There is no failure. There are only steps towards success.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:43 am

It sounds like you had a plan and encountered deer, good job! It may be helpful to approach the top of the ridge through a draw, maybe the one east of where you were with a westerly wind. That would help keep you hidden and confine some of the noise made while climbing to the top. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”