Creating Attractive Bedding Spots??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

slabbandit

Creating Attractive Bedding Spots??

Unread postby slabbandit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am

I'm sure that it has been discussed here many times before and I would appreciate any links to past posts on the subject. I have found several good looking bedding spots in the thick underbrush around a large lake that I hunt near. Most are just small 10 to 20 feet wide knolls that are maybe a foot higher in elevation that the surrounding area. I believe with all the trails in the area that these could be made into prime bedding locations with the addition of a little more cover. There is sparce tall grass on most of them. I was thinking of dragging some of the many downed logs over onto them and put them on the upwind side of the beds I hope to establish. Any advice will be appreciated.
Also, within a short distance of this spot I found a real fresh, single bed not 10 yds up in the buckbrush from the edge of the water towards the back of a large creek arm. His bed was slightly elevated, next to a good sized tree with a few additional large limbs up against his back also. Best I could tell his trail sort of parralled the lake edge gradually getting close to the lake as he reached his bedding spot. Therefore he had two trails to escape depending on danger.
My question is, when an animal can see well as the case with the wide creek arm directly to the south of his location, which wind direction will he most probably use for this bedding spot?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Creating Attractive Bedding Spots??

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:34 am

My question is, when an animal can see well as the case with the wide creek arm directly to the south of his location, which wind direction will he most probably use for this bedding spot?

He will bed with a blockade such as thick brush, a fallen tree, etc, to his back, and up wind of his bed, but right against it. If the bed is wind specific, he usually has an open view down wind ( again, with an obstacle to his back - up wind )
slabbandit

Unread postby slabbandit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Dan for replying so quickly. I'm in Portland, Or. right now visiting my Son. Heading home tomorrow and hope to have your Marsh hunting and Hill Country DVD's arrive soon.
That confirms what I was thinking the situation probably was as there was a N/W wind at the time I located the fresh bed.

Thanks,
Dave
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 am

Good topic. I'm sure a good spot can be made better. I'd be interested to hear more. I found this site that has some videos doing just that: http://www.jimwardwhitetailacademy.com/videos.html

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”