Questions for Deer Trackers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Questions for Deer Trackers

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 pm

I noticed a few real nice deer taken by tracking this year in the Kill Zone.

I'm interested in learning about your methods. I have tracked deer after fresh snowfall before but have never caught up to them. I tried again today but the buck took me through such thick cover on his way to his bed (an island in a swamp that I scouted earlier in the season - thanks for the tip Dan). It was absolutely impossible to travel though there without making a bunch of noise. It's amazing how easily they can walk through tangles of tag alders.

Here are a few questions I thought of, maybe a few more might come up in the discussion:

[tab=30]When successful, how far have you had to track your deer?

[tab=30]Are there times of the day when the methods work better?

[tab=30]Are the methods more effective in deep snow/late season?

[tab=30]Do you take the wind into account, since the deer travel in really random directions?

[tab=30]If wind is a consideration, then how do you work it?

[tab=30]What are some important tips to reduce your noise as you are walking towards the deer?

[tab=30]Does the method work well for big woods deer?

Dewey

Re: Questions for Deer Trackers

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Can't help you much with this since I am learning myself but check out this thread if you haven't already.......

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11849

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:33 pm

cant help...but im interested and might give it a go the rest of my rifle season...

been a VERY tough season..we normally are looking for people to push to by now..as of now we have 1 buck down and thats been nearly it for moving bucks...i saw 1 deer ALL day today...

gunna give it 1 last go tomorrow and then im packing the truck and heading to camp and big woods..either tomorrow evening or Thursday morning..will give me 2 full days of hunting plus thursday either all day or evening..

i know thursday and friday look COLD..between the cold and the pressure they are holed up like rabbits...

i think my best odds is getting up there in the big woods and wearing out my boots..and if location and conditions warrant take a stand...

ive made attempts at it before but never full hearted..i know i move too fast..i get too excited..too bored..to anxious..this trip if i do it will be a more serious attempt of still hunting and tracking..i may slowly walk ATV type trails till i hit big tracks..i may still hunt the bottoms where its more sheltered..once i find the sign i can atleast narrow down high/low/in between...

ive never done anything like this...ive already said if i do it my buck standards are out the window..if i get a shot at a legal buck im hammering him and it'll mean more than anything on my wall..

one year i did get on BIG tracks..i took em slow and steady...he never went any faster or ran..but i knew that i wasnt far from him..he took me up a point and did some goofy stuff and took off...i never seen him..i think he was taking me back to his bed and before he got there he had the vantage on me...had i hooked around that point when he started going up i may have a different story...now that i know what i know from hill country, i believe thats exactly what happened..and his tactic of going into his bed worked 1000%

im at a weird point...hunting at home is getting stupid...my archery season started off AWESOME..and it fell down hill in a hurry...i couldnt figure it out...then realized that other peoples pressure was killing me..i tried staying ahead of the pressure and kept on deer but the bucks i was seeing fell off the face of the earth...fast forward to rifle season a few weeks after bow season and we are nearing double digits of bucks laying dead in the woods..one hill we usually kill 4-6 bucks from every rifle season..i hunt it and the outskirts of it..all the deer in the area use it..live on it..pass through it..there are 5 dead on that block..plus i know of 2 killed and recovered...thats 7! no wondered i couldnt find them...they are laying dead in the woods..this rifle season has been the worst ever...we used to have a decent crew to push to eachother...now we are down to me and a buddy and whoever else shows up..

i gotta change tactics and not rely on that crutch...i gotta learn to get it done alone..with the pressure here stand hunting is a crap shoot..and seeing bucks on their feet is rare unless someone else moves them..but mon-fri excluding opening monday, the pressure is almost non-exisistent..so cant set up hoping for them to get pushed..

i really think tracking/still hunting will be something for me to learn...biggest issue is weather...snow during our rifle season is hit or miss but mostly miss..this is the first season i remember having snow nearly the entire 2 weeks...with only 12 days to rifle hunt you might not get ANY GOOD condition days to track and still hunt..or it may rain off n on ALL season and have GREAT still hunting weather...

guess you could say 2 years ago i killed my buck still hunting...i was technically pushing for my dad..rainy day...wind in my face...i snuck up a hill and to a point i knew bucks bed on...got on the top bench and snuck VERY slowly as i rounded the point...i was so confident i actually had the rifle on my shoulder...15yds he sprung from his bed...hit the ground and took 1 more leap and i fired...dropped him...

i think that is the key to being successful is KNOWING deer...i grew up and cut my teeth hunting that hill...i knew bucks bedded on that point...but now that i am older i can apply my knowledge to places ive never been...next time tracks take me up a point im probably not following them straight up like a dumbie...lol...i think that'd be one thing you find in common with anyone GOOD at still hunting and tracking is they KNOW deer and they can think a step or 2 ahead of them..then they can start looking and position themselves to catch them where they are heading..anyone can follow deer tracks...knowing how they use the terrain, where they are heading, how to use the terrain etc etc all has to factor in to actually getting the drop on them...

im actually excited to head north...i have a doe tag too...first good doe i see will get the hammer too..if i aint TOO far from the truck lol...nice thing is its less than 2 miles between roads where i am heading..hopefully i can drive to the bottoms and i will have no issues
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm

The biggest thing I have found is that not all terrains and properties are created equal... In some areas it can be very hard to kill bucks tracking cause of visibility and noise, but other areas are more forgiving. I catch up to a lot of them in the cattails. Sometimes it takes a half hour, sometimes you never catch up, but killing them is tough.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:57 am

I've killed 2 by tracking them and passed up a couple. I don't get enough opportunity to do it where I live but I try to get up north whenever I can. In the NE of the U.S. (Maine, NY's Adirondacks, NH, VT) it is a fairly popular way to hunt. A lot of the time it's more about your own mental endurance (physical too if you're not in shape). The Benoit family of VT has a cult following and a couple of books and DVDs out. Hal Blood and RG Bernier are a couple of other names to search. Hal Blood has some youtube videos.

Tracking is a very exciting way to hunt the big woods.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I noticed a few real nice deer taken by tracking this year in the Kill Zone.

[tab=30]When successful, how far have you had to track your deer?
1 over 10 miles, some less than 500 yards.

[tab=30]Are there times of the day when the methods work better?
Whenever you can get on a fresh track!

[tab=30]Are the methods more effective in deep snow/late season?
Anytime there is snow is good, but deeper, quieter snow makes it easier.

[tab=30]Do you take the wind into account, since the deer travel in really random directions?
From what I've read and my limited experience, no. You simply have to follow the track wherever it goes.

[tab=30]If wind is a consideration, then how do you work it?

[tab=30]What are some important tips to reduce your noise as you are walking towards the deer?
Walk carefully, wear quiet clothes. Watch out for dead sticks and other stuff that can "snap".

[tab=30]Does the method work well for big woods deer?
This is probably the BEST method for big woods deer, unless you are legally allowed to bait perhaps.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:29 am

The buck is coming in...tracking would be my last resort.

You mentioned before how deep the snow is getting......very difficult to distinguish tracks in deep snow and if you take him for a while he will mix with other deer. Bad news tracking near baits and deer activity.

Booger him up tracking and he could not come back.....or be miles away the next few days. I would be on him quick.....in my areas when they go to feed on a regular basis (hitting baits with some consistency) they will be shedding soon. (usually with-in a week or so)

Good luck.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 am

The big woods angle...

A few bibles...

Does the method work well for big woods deer?
-- I'm becoming convinced tracking is the most effective method for [glow=red]trophy[/glow] bucks in the big woods.
-- First, the track tells you if it is even a 200+ pound buck. 12" wide stance, 24"in length stride = big, heavy buck
-- The other methods in the big woods that work great are brute-force sitting and brute-force still-hunting ... hours and hours in good spots.
-- ... and of course the guys that bait can do really well - maybe I'll get into that when I'm older. Maybe not.
-- I am also starting to accumulate some kills by calling bucks into the open when I'm in buck areas and it's calm out.

When successful, how far have you had to track your deer?
-- I'm working on making better life choices to get into the woods more often when there's snow. :) The only times I get to track are during muzzleloader and the days are short then. Tracking skills are very important for retrieving crippled deer too. I got to track a buck 2.5 hours this year that was just clipped. Got him though.

Distance depends... did you kill him the first time you had a chance?

Are there times of the day when the methods work better?
-- Best case scenario is you find a track made late in the night by a big buck heading off to bed for the day.
-- If you know he's heading toward a bedding areas you're golden.
-- Earlier in the day you get on him the better chance you have.

Are the methods more effective in deep snow/late season?
-- Late season they're not making as many tracks in general... so if you find one he's probably close and not going to want to go far.
-- Deep snow is hard to walk in - so that depends.

Do you take the wind into account, since the deer travel in really random directions?
-- Follow the buck wherever he goes

If wind is a consideration, then how do you work it?
-- if you are running out of time in a day and think you know the buck went to a particular place to bed you could use the wind to circle above the deer - and then still hunt and try to catch him in his bed. Generally, from the Hill Country tactics DVD I've learned the bucks bed on the top 2/3 on the leeward side of ridges - regarding prevailing wind.

What are some important tips to reduce your noise as you are walking towards the deer?

You have to give up noise for speed. You need to move on that deer unless you have some reason to think he's close to you (he fed and he'll be bedding soon, ... or he started wandering around instead of walking in a straight line... or, he got caught up with a doe etc...)... ... other things you can do is track bigger deer with huge racks... they go through easier places to walk :) ... LaCrosse Grange ankle fit boots are thin and you can feel what's under your feet... otherwise you can walk on rock tops and moss when possible. Wear wool - it doesn't catch on stuff. Wear a fanny pack instead of a back pack so you can duck under things without it catching on your pack.

Hal Blood likes to push the buck until he jumps it. Then he stops for 30 minutes. Then he proceeds. Often by waiting 30 minutes the buck calmly walks off and then Hal knows he has a buck in front of him under 30 minutes... and hunts accordingly.
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:The buck is coming in...tracking would be my last resort.

You mentioned before how deep the snow is getting......very difficult to distinguish tracks in deep snow and if you take him for a while he will mix with other deer. Bad news tracking near baits and deer activity.

Booger him up tracking and he could not come back.....or be miles away the next few days. I would be on him quick.....in my areas when they go to feed on a regular basis (hitting baits with some consistency) they will be shedding soon. (usually with-in a week or so)

Good luck.

Thanks Hodag. I wasn't necessarily thinking about the target buck. I am afraid of pushing him away. I've been wanting to hunt this way for a while, and have tried without success.

About the target buck though, he has the largest prints I've ever seen. His prints are about 2/3 of the size of a moose track and his track is split so wide......;)

I just want to see him.

Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:07 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:The big woods angle...

A few bibles...

Does the method work well for big woods deer?
-- I'm becoming convinced tracking is the most effective method for [glow=red]trophy[/glow] bucks in the big woods.
-- First, the track tells you if it is even a 200+ pound buck. 12" wide stance, 24"in length stride = big, heavy buck
-- The other methods in the big woods that work great are brute-force sitting and brute-force still-hunting ... hours and hours in good spots.
-- ... and of course the guys that bait can do really well - maybe I'll get into that when I'm older. Maybe not.
-- I am also starting to accumulate some kills by calling bucks into the open when I'm in buck areas and it's calm out.

When successful, how far have you had to track your deer?
-- I'm working on making better life choices to get into the woods more often when there's snow. :) The only times I get to track are during muzzleloader and the days are short then. Tracking skills are very important for retrieving crippled deer too. I got to track a buck 2.5 hours this year that was just clipped. Got him though.

Distance depends... did you kill him the first time you had a chance?

Are there times of the day when the methods work better?
-- Best case scenario is you find a track made late in the night by a big buck heading off to bed for the day.
-- If you know he's heading toward a bedding areas you're golden.
-- Earlier in the day you get on him the better chance you have.

Are the methods more effective in deep snow/late season?
-- Late season they're not making as many tracks in general... so if you find one he's probably close and not going to want to go far.
-- Deep snow is hard to walk in - so that depends.

Do you take the wind into account, since the deer travel in really random directions?
-- Follow the buck wherever he goes

If wind is a consideration, then how do you work it?
-- if you are running out of time in a day and think you know the buck went to a particular place to bed you could use the wind to circle above the deer - and then still hunt and try to catch him in his bed. Generally, from the Hill Country tactics DVD I've learned the bucks bed on the top 2/3 on the leeward side of ridges - regarding prevailing wind.

What are some important tips to reduce your noise as you are walking towards the deer?

You have to give up noise for speed. You need to move on that deer unless you have some reason to think he's close to you (he fed and he'll be bedding soon, ... or he started wandering around instead of walking in a straight line... or, he got caught up with a doe etc...)... ... other things you can do is track bigger deer with huge racks... they go through easier places to walk :) ... LaCrosse Grange ankle fit boots are thin and you can feel what's under your feet... otherwise you can walk on rock tops and moss when possible. Wear wool - it doesn't catch on stuff. Wear a fanny pack instead of a back pack so you can duck under things without it catching on your pack.

Hal Blood likes to push the buck until he jumps it. Then he stops for 30 minutes. Then he proceeds. Often by waiting 30 minutes the buck calmly walks off and then Hal knows he has a buck in front of him under 30 minutes... and hunts accordingly.

Thanks Tom. There's plenty there to keep me busy for the holidays:).

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:The buck is coming in...tracking would be my last resort.

Good luck.

Thanks Hodag. I wasn't necessarily thinking about the target buck. I am afraid of pushing him away. I've been wanting to hunt this way for a while, and have tried without success.

About the target buck though, he has the largest prints I've ever seen. His prints are about 2/3 of the size of a moose track and his track is split so wide......;)

I just want to see him.

If you don't mind can you post a picture of his track with a shell in it or some kind of point of reference?

I was pulling for you tonight.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Ill try and get one next time out.

mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Another thread for you viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17375
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 am

A split wide track is likely a running track unless the deer has an injury. I suppose a really heavy buck with broken down pasterns would start to have splayed feet somewhat but walking bucks will still have closed-toe tracks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:18 am

SamPotter wrote:A split wide track is likely a running track unless the deer has an injury. I suppose a really heavy buck with broken down pasterns would start to have splayed feet somewhat but walking bucks will still have closed-toe tracks.

Most of the deer I have shot that were over 200 dressed had splayed front hooves walking. Especially in soft soil, snow, or mud.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”