Staying Warm in Late Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Staying Warm in Late Season

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I have the elite series asat camo and think I will be plenty warm in that since I have used it in 40 degree weather with no problem. Oh did I mention I just got a HBS in the mail yesterday? Lol I will be comfy wearing my fall gear inside my HBS, no bulk! If your not going to spend the money on a HBS, my advice is no cotton in any layers and dress light for the walk in. I have other warm gear that works well, but I sweat walking in it, and it's bulky.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I have the extreme stand hunter coveralls. They do keep me warm but I still havent found a good way to carry them in

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Bibs and parka in the alice pack.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:25 pm

kenn1320 wrote:I have the elite series asat camo and think I will be plenty warm in that since I have used it in 40 degree weather with no problem. Oh did I mention I just got a HBS in the mail yesterday? Lol I will be comfy wearing my fall gear inside my HBS, no bulk! If your not going to spend the money on a HBS, my advice is no cotton in any layers and dress light for the walk in. I have other warm gear that works well, but I sweat walking in it, and it's bulky.

Kenn, did your HBS fit right? I honestly think they mailed me a mis-labeled suit.
Check this out... hahaha

There is a 7 foot Christmas tree behind me! I am 6-4 and the suit comes that far over my head.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I sent mine back today. I figured I would look at the IWOM and possibly order another (SMALLER) HBS and keep the one I like best.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Your inside that thing?

:think:

:lol:

Might be a TAD big on you.....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm

It's the Headless Hunting Beast!!! :shock:

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:46 am

Yeah, the HBS is kind of bulky but they work amazingly. I had one several years ago and stupidly sold it.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 am

brkissl82 wrote:I have the extreme stand hunter coveralls. They do keep me warm but I still havent found a good way to carry them in

Someone mentioned a 40L pack fits it well. It was -12F to -15F, without the wind, where my dad was hunting this week. Anyway I figure I have 2 years to come up with a solution for carrying it. 2014 will be +40F all season now that I have a cold weather suit.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 am

Pop-up blind + Propane Heater Buddy = 8-)
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:13 pm

The Cabelas Extreme Stand Hunter suit talked about above is awesome for sitting. I used it on some very cold and windy days.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Brad wrote:I will either own a set of grey wolf woolens or a heater body suit before next year, I'm tired of wearing 6 layers and barely being able to move.

Spent a but load of money on GWW this year. Nice stuff, but I don't think it is keeping me any warmer than anything I already had in my closet. I think I have a bit of buyers remorse because of that. I am not saying anything bad about it, but on the other hand it's not "pixie dust". That's my 2 cents.

chris
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Try some Grabber adhesive body warmers on your lower back and chest.....they work!....and cheap!
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:25 pm

christian1 wrote:
Brad wrote:I will either own a set of grey wolf woolens or a heater body suit before next year, I'm tired of wearing 6 layers and barely being able to move.

Spent a but load of money on GWW this year. Nice stuff, but I don't think it is keeping me any warmer than anything I already had in my closet. I think I have a bit of buyers remorse because of that. I am not saying anything bad about it, but on the other hand it's not "pixie dust". That's my 2 cents.

chris

Do you have the comfortmax liteloft stuff? Mine is extremely warm IMO, very happy with mine. But where I live the coldest it gets is slightly below 0 without wind though.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:
christian1 wrote:

chris

Do you have the comfortmax liteloft stuff? Mine is extremely warm IMO, very happy with mine. But where I live the coldest it gets is slightly below 0 without wind though.

Yes and every other little add on I could get with it. IMO it's no better than any of the Cabelas stuff I spent a tenth of the money on. I am usually a big proponent of you get what you pay for. I have found that there is a breakover point though. You can only buy so much advantage no matter what you are getting. Sometimes people try to justify the price of things. I am not bashing GWW, but I don't feel it's worth what they charge. I may be in the minority, but that has been my experience unfortunately. It has not lived up to the hype. If I could get my money back I would and to me that says a lot about a product. Take it for what it's worth.

chris

chris
dbltmn

Unread postby dbltmn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:50 pm

For years I had a major problem keeping my feet warm in 20 or less degree weather in a tree. I realized two years ago it is not the boots..... So much. It is imperative that you put a piece of carpet or better yet a thermaseat or old bath mat on the metal stand platform to stand on. The metal in a tree stand will suck the heat right out of the best boots.

I feel like I could wear 2 layers of good socks and wind break as long as I am standing on something that insulates.

Best part is this is a cheap fix and very light addition to your gear.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”