Staying Warm in Late Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Staying Warm in Late Season

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:22 am

Yesterday I was hunting along a rub line with fresh tracks near a bedding area. The buck showed right at sunset...but stopped about 30 yards away (no shooting lane), snorted twice, and then took off. The wind was correct for me; I think he saw me fidgeting because I was cold (-5 at the time).

I got out there about 3 hours before sunset, which was part of the problem. However, do you guys have any recommendations for staying warm. I had Hot Hands packs in my boots and gloves. Two pairs of wools socks in insulated boots. 3 layers on my legs, including a Carhartt flannel lined overalls for hunting. I had 5 layers on my upper body, including a Carhartt winter coat. I had three layers on my head.

Ironically, my trunk is what got cold, not my head, hands, or feet. Holy cow though: if I had on any more layers over my trunk I couldn't move.

Thoughts on products or materials to help?

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Staying Warm in Late Season

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:27 am

Check out the reviews on here for the IWOM or Heater Body Suit.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:37 am

I've used hot hands in a t-shirt pockets and also a lanyard from grunt call around my neck with hot hand attached. Keeps warmth close to chest. I'm cheap though. :D
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 am

Clevinger wrote:Yesterday I was hunting along a rub line with fresh tracks near a bedding area. The buck showed right at sunset...but stopped about 30 yards away (no shooting lane), snorted twice, and then took off. The wind was correct for me; I think he saw me fidgeting because I was cold (-5 at the time).

I got out there about 3 hours before sunset, which was part of the problem. However, do you guys have any recommendations for staying warm. I had Hot Hands packs in my boots and gloves. Two pairs of wools socks in insulated boots. 3 layers on my legs, including a Carhartt flannel lined overalls for hunting. I had 5 layers on my upper body, including a Carhartt winter coat. I had three layers on my head.

Ironically, my trunk is what got cold, not my head, hands, or feet. Holy cow though: if I had on any more layers over my trunk I couldn't move.

Cabelas has the "Extreme Stand Hunter" suit on sale right now for $220, about 50% off, with free shipping if you use the "3winter" promo code on checkout.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... lsrc=aw.ds

You carry them in and put them on. I wanted my arms available and the price was right. Stellar reviews. 4.9 of 5 stars. Read the description regarding how they keep your torso warm and why they have less insulated arms as a result of that. They come with hand muff too.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:07 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Clevinger wrote:Yesterday I was hunting along a rub line with fresh tracks near a bedding area. The buck showed right at sunset...but stopped about 30 yards away (no shooting lane), snorted twice, and then took off. The wind was correct for me; I think he saw me fidgeting because I was cold (-5 at the time).

Cabelas has the "Extreme Stand Hunter" suit on sale right now for $220, about 50% off, with free shipping if you use the "3winter" promo code on checkout.

You carry them in and put them on. I wanted my arms available and the price was right. Stellar reviews. 4.9 of 5 stars. Read the description regarding how they keep your torso warm and why they have less insulated arms as a result of that. They come with hand muff too.

This is a warm coverall.....

Merino wool base, fleece/poly mid layer, pants and top then put the coveralls on when you get set up.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 am

Zap wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

This is a warm coverall.....

Merino wool base, fleece/poly mid layer, pants and top then put the coveralls on when you get set up.

Here's what I found:

I'm 5'10" 235 pounds -- I needed XXL
My dad is 5'9" 180 pounds -- He's going to take my XL and send back his L.

The smaller sizes (XL was too small for me and L was too small for him) wouldn't allow for a type of layer that Zap recommends - which I would recommend too.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:21 am

Looks like a great late season garment!! Might be on my short list?? :think:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:31 am

I wear the Cabelas Stand Master Bibs/Wooltimate Bowhunters Jacket (I really like it).... I'm 5'11" 190 and I think I have the L bibs. It is warm, but not sit all day in (-) degrees warm even will the merino wool. For 3hrs you would be fine
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 am

I will either own a set of grey wolf woolens or a heater body suit before next year, I'm tired of wearing 6 layers and barely being able to move.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:42 am

Brad wrote:I will either own a set of grey wolf woolens or a heater body suit before next year, I'm tired of wearing 6 layers and barely being able to move.

Yeah me too....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:17 am

Besides a HBS or IWOM, what is the best outer wear for warmth and wind protection? I use the SB dream season outfit which is warm but kind of heavy and bulky with the wool liner...but I haven't been in near 0 degree temps. It has kept me warm with my setup down to about 10 degrees although you do need some other wind protective layer.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am

I'm pretty screwed when it comes to late season as far as staying warm. Only plan on sitting 2-3 hrs anyways. I pretty much freeze my rear end off, but have to make sure my hands stay warm. If that means 6 hand warmers in a muff so be it. I'll be wearing cabelas inferno boots, thick socks, long underwear, scentlok base warm base layer, arbor wear pants, predator fleece pants. For the top same thing as far as underwear but I will be wearing 2 sweatshirts, 1 double thick arbor wear, neck warmer, beanie. Thin gloves in muff.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Saturday I sat from 11 am till closing, almost 6 hours, it was about 3 degrees above 0. I wore my heater body suit and was pretty comfortable. In my opinion the HBS is the best way to handle the cold.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:28 pm

I throw another vote out for Heater Body Suit, they are fantastic! In my opinion they are the best way to stay comfortable on cold late season sits
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:35 pm

You can take some hand or body warmers and either take or ace bandage them around the kidney area on your back.... This should keep your core warm...when using hand warmers I use fold over mittens with fingers... Put the hand warmers on the back of the hands not underneath

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”