Staying Warm in Late Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Staying Warm in Late Season

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:05 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
checkerfred wrote:If you use the Arctic shield boot covers, you can't wear rubber boots or heavily insulated boots. Those keep the heat from escaping and the boot covers from reflecting the heat. You can also drop a hand warmer in them if it's really cold.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I put Arctic Shield over my 1000gr Thinsulate boots last week and they helped a bit. My feet were frozen. Then they weren't as bad. They weren't easy to get on, even sitting on the ground. I probably wouldn't have been able to get them on in a portable. It was cold -20F to -10F. I was really wearing the wrong boots anyway, too light, and was kind of banking on the Arctic Shields. If I'm packing my cold weather suit into a spot, I might as well pack in some more insulating boot covers/blankets, or pack in heavy boots. I am going to check out the IceBreakers too.

Are you saying they didn't help or they did? I'm confused because you said your feet were frozen then weren't as bad. Have you tried them with light boots without as much insulation? I noticed with rubber boots (especially insulated) my feet froze. Rubber holds in moisture and keeps the heat from reflecting back like they are supposed to. Also, if you get snow or ice on your boots, that will make them act as a cooler. Now, down here in AL we don't get those kind of temps you mentioned but it's still cold because it's not a dry cold. I use 400 gram thinsulate boots and they work for me. If it gets down in the low teens or very rarely single digits, I'll have to drop in a hand warmer. I'd rather carry those than something bulky though. Mine fit pretty good, but if I was going to put them on big boots i'd get the biggest size. I've heard of people taking off their boots and using just the covers....I tried it on my porch for a little bit and it worked. I think each person is different based on their circulation etc. too.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:46 am

checkerfred wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:
checkerfred wrote:If you use the Arctic shield boot covers, you can't wear rubber boots or heavily insulated boots. Those keep the heat from escaping and the boot covers from reflecting the heat. You can also drop a hand warmer in them if it's really cold.

I put Arctic Shield over my 1000gr Thinsulate boots last week and they helped a bit. My feet were frozen. Then they weren't as bad. They weren't easy to get on, even sitting on the ground. I probably wouldn't have been able to get them on in a portable. It was cold -20F to -10F. I was really wearing the wrong boots anyway, too light, and was kind of banking on the Arctic Shields. If I'm packing my cold weather suit into a spot, I might as well pack in some more insulating boot covers/blankets, or pack in heavy boots. I am going to check out the IceBreakers too.

Are you saying they didn't help or they did? I'm confused because you said your feet were frozen then weren't as bad. Have you tried them with light boots without as much insulation? I noticed with rubber boots (especially insulated) my feet froze. Rubber holds in moisture and keeps the heat from reflecting back like they are supposed to. Also, if you get snow or ice on your boots, that will make them act as a cooler. Now, down here in AL we don't get those kind of temps you mentioned but it's still cold because it's not a dry cold. I use 400 gram thinsulate boots and they work for me. If it gets down in the low teens or very rarely single digits, I'll have to drop in a hand warmer. I'd rather carry those than something bulky though. Mine fit pretty good, but if I was going to put them on big boots i'd get the biggest size. I've heard of people taking off their boots and using just the covers....I tried it on my porch for a little bit and it worked. I think each person is different based on their circulation etc. too.

I wasn't clear - sorry about that. The ArcticShield provided a measure of relief worn over the 1000gr Thinsulate boots on a very cold day - after I put them on partway through the day. My toes were frozen at that point because they're the part of the boot not covered by my Extreme Stand Hunter suit. My toes never got toasty but they did get warmer. So yes they helped. The more I think about it this isn't a very fair test. But here's some more anecdotal information for what it's worth.

My nephew didn't like them (don't know what he put them over) and said they didn't help at all.
My dad bought the largest two sizes without ever trying them and he said he liked them when putting them over 2000gr Thinsulate boots.... except: one of his zippers broke right away. The pull tab came off the teeth easily and he wasn't pulling too hard he said. So they probably need a better zipper and he probably got a dud.

Now that I own them, will I use them? Probably only over my LaCrosse Grange uninsulated rubber boots, when I stop for a bit. They kept already-clammy feet from becoming cold-and-clammy earlier in the year. I need something else for the extreme days where I pack in my Extreme Stand Hunter suit. I think HotMocs could be the ticket for me rather than IceBreakers or ArcticShield when I'm wearing my Extreme Hunter Suit. Because the rest of the boot is already covered by the warm suit. I have pretty good circulation and can get away with a lot. I think I just need something to cover the toes and I'll be able to get away with my light hiking boots ... even down to -20F in my warm suit.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:

I wasn't clear - sorry about that. The ArcticShield provided a measure of relief worn over the 1000gr Thinsulate boots on a very cold day - after I put them on partway through the day. My toes were frozen at that point because they're the part of the boot not covered by my Extreme Stand Hunter suit. My toes never got toasty but they did get warmer. So yes they helped. The more I think about it this isn't a very fair test. But here's some more anecdotal information for what it's worth.

My nephew didn't like them (don't know what he put them over) and said they didn't help at all.
My dad bought the largest two sizes without ever trying them and he said he liked them when putting them over 2000gr Thinsulate boots.... except: one of his zippers broke right away. The pull tab came off the teeth easily and he wasn't pulling too hard he said. So they probably need a better zipper and he probably got a dud.

Now that I own them, will I use them? Probably only over my LaCrosse Grange uninsulated rubber boots, when I stop for a bit. They kept already-clammy feet from becoming cold-and-clammy earlier in the year. I need something else for the extreme days where I pack in my Extreme Stand Hunter suit. I think HotMocs could be the ticket for me rather than IceBreakers or ArcticShield when I'm wearing my Extreme Hunter Suit. Because the rest of the boot is already covered by the warm suit. I have pretty good circulation and can get away with a lot. I think I just need something to cover the toes and I'll be able to get away with my light hiking boots ... even down to -20F in my warm suit.

ahh ok...that makes sense now...I found I do have to put them on right after walking in. Seems like if my feet get cold they stay cold..I guess the faster you can keep the heat in the better. If they get cold with the rubber boots, try putting just your sock feet in and see what happens..I know rubber boots didn't work for me at all. The hand warmer works well too. My feet always get cold and last year we had some single digit weather. I was able to stay out for 4-5 hrs and never got cold. I also have a set of Artic Armor Ice fishing bibs and pants in camo. I found I was sweating alot with them on and still getting cold, so I started climbing my stand then cooling off, then dressing. It's tough to do, but keeping the sweat down helped tremendously. I just bought a set of Artic Shield bibs/jacket to try out...their classic series. Interesting to see how they'll do when it gets cold. If you really need to stay warm, try putting some hand/body warmers around your kidney area. This keeps your whole core heated. Also, putting hand warmers on top of your hands where your veins are instead of the bottom.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”