3 vs 4 Lone wolf sticks climbing height

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Re: 3 vs 4 Lone wolf sticks climbing height

Unread postby Country » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:53 am

dan wrote:
Brad wrote:I would go with 4 , I need another one as it is normally (hill country). I do not pack 4 like they are intended, I lay the sticks upside down so the V faces out and then I put the stick on the left with the step facing left, and then the one on the right facing out. All the middle ones get pointed straight up and then I use the Kwik straps to tighten them down. That makes a huge difference in felt weight, but its still heavy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I don't think that makes any difference at all in weight. 20 pounds is 20 pounds no matter how you turn it... If you stuck the 20 pounds 10 feet behind you on a long pole, it might make a difference in where you feel the weight on the shoulder straps, but its still 20 pounds, and right up against your back would be the same as 6 inches out of your back. I might check with engineering with this one, cause I hear it a lot, but I think its in your head, not reality.

I have tried both ways and I do like strapping them to the stand sideways better. Not because I think it feels lighter, but because there is more strap to pull on to tighten the sticks to the stand when using 5 sticks. I also like strapping my gear on top of the sticks rather on the side because I do feel like the load is balanced better that way. Either way it's a fairly heavy load for me, but the goal is to be prepared, so I deal with it. The way I look at it is, whatever way works best for you...go with it.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:57 am

I lay my sticks flat just because the profile is smaller and makes it much easier to sneak thru the thick stuff. My sticks are stacked and then bundled together with one Kwik Strap and then they are held to my stand with 2 bungee straps. They are plenty tight and never rattle.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:04 am

Dewey wrote:I lay my sticks flat just because the profile is smaller and makes it much easier to sneak thru the thick stuff. My sticks are stacked and then bundled together with one Kwik Strap and then they are held to my stand with 2 bungee straps. They are plenty tight and never rattle.

This is what I do too, but two kwik straps instead of the bungees. Two additional bungees if I want to attach clothing.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:39 am

I use 4 and haul mine a little differently. When I get done pulling my sticks off the tree, I stack them up independent from the stand. I use one of Dor's quick straps to secure the four steps right in the center where the middle step is. I use a rope and prussic secured around the front and back of the four steps. I usually put my Alpha or Treesaddle on and then just throw the sticks over my back. You can carry the sticks in a multitude of positions if fatigue sets in.
Last edited by MOBIGBUCKS on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptac06

Unread postby ptac06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:23 am

CountryJoe wrote:
dan wrote:
Brad wrote:I would go with 4 , I need another one as it is normally (hill country). I do not pack 4 like they are intended, I lay the sticks upside down so the V faces out and then I put the stick on the left with the step facing left, and then the one on the right facing out. All the middle ones get pointed straight up and then I use the Kwik straps to tighten them down. That makes a huge difference in felt weight, but its still heavy.

I don't think that makes any difference at all in weight. 20 pounds is 20 pounds no matter how you turn it... If you stuck the 20 pounds 10 feet behind you on a long pole, it might make a difference in where you feel the weight on the shoulder straps, but its still 20 pounds, and right up against your back would be the same as 6 inches out of your back. I might check with engineering with this one, cause I hear it a lot, but I think its in your head, not reality.

I have tried both ways and I do like strapping them to the stand sideways better. Not because I think it feels lighter, but because there is more strap to pull on to tighten the sticks to the stand when using 5 sticks. I also like strapping my gear on top of the sticks rather on the side because I do feel like the load is balanced better that way. Either way it's a fairly heavy load for me, but the goal is to be prepared, so I deal with it. The way I look at it is, whatever way works best for you...go with it.

+1, thats how I pack mine as well, also because of the load issue. I secure the sticks to stand using the actual LW straps and connecting them to hubs on the stand. You just have to weave the loops through the slots on the stand...the issue with this can be noise when the buckle accidentally hits the stand but with a little tape on the stand you can make it sound proof.
Also, to give my 2 cents on original question...I've had 3 sticks and it worked for me in a most situations, but its without question that I needed a 4th and possibly a 5th in the future. The hill country is really what made me realize the need for a 4th stick.
ptac06

Unread postby ptac06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:35 am

dan wrote:Trapper watch these video's I made:
Part 1[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4[/bbvideo]

Part 2[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk[/bbvideo]

Dan, in your part 2 video, I noticed your connection to the actual tree for your safety harness was simple, fast and quiet. I have a hunter safety systems harness & the connection to the tree can potentially be loud and slow. The buckle is metal with a metal slide that the tail has to weave around / through...am I making sense? plus the tail is extremely lengthy for the possibility of going around a large tree. I'm looking for something quiet that I can cinch down to the tree with having to worry about this metal on metal buckle that clinks unless the tail has been weaved through it...any suggestions?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:45 am

ptac06 wrote:

Dan, in your part 2 video, I noticed your connection to the actual tree for your safety harness was simple, fast and quiet. I have a hunter safety systems harness & the connection to the tree can potentially be loud and slow. The buckle is metal with a metal slide that the tail has to weave around / through...am I making sense? plus the tail is extremely lengthy for the possibility of going around a large tree. I'm looking for something quiet that I can cinch down to the tree with having to worry about this metal on metal buckle that clinks unless the tail has been weaved through it...any suggestions?

HSS sells a quieter rope attachment with a prussic on a carabiner. Significantly better

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:59 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
ptac06 wrote:

HSS sells a quieter rope attachment with a prussic on a carabiner. Significantly better

I am using the L/W caribiner. They give a free one with every stand in the harness package. I showed that to the guys at HSS and it was not long after that they were selling it, but you have to purchase seperatly... Not sure if I influenced them or not.
ptac06

Unread postby ptac06 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 am

dan wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
ptac06 wrote:

I am using the L/W caribiner. They give a free one with every stand in the harness package. I showed that to the guys at HSS and it was not long after that they were selling it, but you have to purchase seperatly... Not sure if I influenced them or not.

I'll have to dig through my L/W package then, thanks! I guess I would have to think you did sway them...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:19 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
CountryJoe wrote:One thing to keep in mind is someone with longer legs is likely going to be able to get higher than someone with shorter legs. I am a whopping 5'4" and I carry 5 sticks. I probably get to 22' or so if I really stretch them out.

You can cheat the climbing limitation of the lone wolf sticks by running webbing steps on the below the stick to get a lot higher. I don't like this method as [glow=red]it is hard to get your boot in the webbing[/glow], almost impossible in cold weather. Bowhunter15 has a decent video on the application of this method.

Put a piece of rubber hose (like garden hose) in the stirrup, about the width of your boot.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks again for all the great info!!
Except now I wish I couldn see how you guys are packing them?
Could you post some pictures?
Maybe I should of started another thread.
Thanks again

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Like this

trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:00 pm

That's just what I needed Dewey!
Good picture, where did you find the flat strap bungees?
Thanks

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 pm

trapper57 wrote:That's just what I needed Dewey!
Good picture, where did you find the flat strap bungees?
Thanks

Fleet Farm in the camping section. The black strap on my sticks is a Kwik Strap.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:08 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
CountryJoe wrote:One thing to keep in mind is someone with longer legs is likely going to be able to get higher than someone with shorter legs. I am a whopping 5'4" and I carry 5 sticks. I probably get to 22' or so if I really stretch them out.

You can cheat the climbing limitation of the lone wolf sticks by running webbing steps on the below the stick to get a lot higher. I don't like this method as [glow=red]it is hard to get your boot in the webbing[/glow], almost impossible in cold weather. Bowhunter15 has a decent video on the application of this method.

Put a piece of rubber hose (like garden hose) in the stirrup, about the width of your boot.

That helps. Still feels like pushing a rope when climbing imho.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”