Venison per year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Poll question written below

30%
30%
27%
5%
4%
2%
No votes
No votes
2%
10+
No votes

Total votes: 56
nater

Re: Venison per year

Unread postby nater » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 am

My wife and I will go through 3-4 if we have them. The trick is to get different cuts/products and to share the wealth with friends. Last year I had one whole deer made into summer sausage, and I used the roasts, a few steaks, and some ground meat to make jerky strips and snack sticks. I leave the loins whole and cook them for parties and give a few to non-hunting friends who know enough to appreciate them. I give some meat to my landowners, and some meat to my family. My wife isn't a huge fan of venison, but she'll eat ground meat in a lot of things. And I brown another pound or so every 1-2 weeks for mixing in with leftover veggies/rice/pasta etc. to take in my work lunches.

If I had it my way, beef would not enter our house!

Patterns may change since I've moved to an area with (SW Minnesota) that has much fewer deer than where I'm from in Indiana.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 am

On average we (wife and two sons plus me) eat about five, because that's usually what I kill. I make sausage, snack sticks, hot dogs, kielbasa, steaks etc.... Now that I got a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator, I might have to start shooting some more, neighbors and coworkers all seem to want the jerky:-))

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:41 am

Milk Weed Seed wrote:On average we (wife and two sons plus me) eat about five, because that's usually what I kill. I make sausage, snack sticks, hot dogs, kielbasa, steaks etc.... Now that I got a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator, I might have to start shooting some more, neighbors and coworkers all seem to want the jerky:-))

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I find that I might need to shoot more too. Meat doesnt go far once you work in the jerky

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:25 am

I secured another 1/2 deer from my dad in steaks & chops. So I guess the wife, daughter, and I will work on 2.5 decent size deer this year. We'll chip away at some almost every day and see how it goes.

I know the temptation is to make it last all year but I think we'll set a pace and go for it...

I think it starts tasting different in months 10-11-12 in the freezer.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:51 am

My wife and I eat less than 1 deer per year. I donate around 20 to hunters for the hungry, my father in law usually takes around 5 from me and then who ever else asks I will kill one for them. I eat beef, lots of beef!
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 am

vanceg wrote:My wife and I eat less than 1 deer per year. I donate around 20 to hunters for the hungry, my father in law usually takes around 5 from me and then who ever else asks I will kill one for them. I eat beef, lots of beef!

Where do you get all the tags to shoot that many?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 am

vanceg wrote:My wife and I eat less than 1 deer per year. I donate around 20 to hunters for the hungry, my father in law usually takes around 5 from me and then who ever else asks I will kill one for them. I eat beef, lots of beef!

8-)

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm

It takes 4 deer to last a year in my home. We have 2 kids. We eat it almost every night in some form. I love it. I grind most of it. I keep the back straps whole and steak out the hind quarters sometimes. The woman loves her slowcooker and we have a rotation of stohganoff, chilli, spaghetti, tacos, burritos, nachos..ect ect... all venison.. we also fill the freezer with goose,fish n rabbit. We almost never buy beef.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:31 pm

The wife and I love venison. She use to hate it, but after I marinaded a backstrap and grilled it for her. She was hooked. Between the immediate family members we've consumed six deer already and I only have two back straps in my freezer to show for it. Need to restock the freezer soon before the season ends.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”