How have you applied Beast tactics to your hunting area?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TravisB

How have you applied Beast tactics to your hunting area?

Unread postby TravisB » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:55 pm

First post here. I'm wondering how some of you have applied Dan's tactics and methods to your hunting grounds. I have no marshes to hunt, and what little hills I have are nothing like what are in the Hill Country video. I love the dvd's, learned a lot, just trying to figure out how to apply that knowledge to what I have to hunt.

Zap

Re: How have you applied Beast tactics to your hunting area?

Unread postby Zap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Walk, look, remember.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 pm

You should be able to read between the lines in the DVD's... Just cause the title is "marsh or Hills" does not mean thats all it covers. You can relate hill country to much smaller hills. We have bedding hills by me in flat farm land that are 10 feet high and have big bucks bedding off the points.
Transitions and elevations are every where, not just in those places... And there are literally thousands of tips in those DVD's that relate to any ground...

The main theme of the DVD's is to find the bedding and hunt based on that bedding... You can do that anywhere.
TravisB

Unread postby TravisB » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:21 am

dan wrote:You should be able to read between the lines in the DVD's... Just cause the title is "marsh or Hills" does not mean thats all it covers. You can relate hill country to much smaller hills. We have bedding hills by me in flat farm land that are 10 feet high and have big bucks bedding off the points.
Transitions and elevations are every where, not just in those places... And there are literally thousands of tips in those DVD's that relate to any ground...

The main theme of the DVD's is to find the bedding and hunt based on that bedding... You can do that anywhere.

Yeah, believe me, I was reading between the lines. I already have some ideas brewing for next year, I was just going to see if anyone had any specific instances they could relate. Kind of like you did about the low hills in the flat farmland. Thanks.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 am

I almost shot a mature buck in his bed at 25 yards off the ground. I would have never tried it had I not scouted specifically for mature buck bedding areas on the land I hunt. The take away point I think from the videos is sometimes if the action is slow you gotta go to the deer. Up close and personal.....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 am

I don't have big hills in my area but I do find a lot of bed on much smaller elevations and they are right on the points or in areas were they can setup with a great view downwind of them or catch some kind of upward thermal even if it is small.

I mostly hunt the wet stuff but instead of a marsh its any swamp I can find. Swamp grass with any kind of brush, bogs are great, tamarack swamps, cedar swamps, ash swamps, spruce swamps you name it, the wetter the better. Usually you will see certain traits that help you find the beds. Small humps of high ground, points or islands, sometimes a small patch of brush off to the side or at the end of an island or point. They will try and setup in a way so their scent is blowing in super thick cover so they can hear you coming, or blowing over a wet area or open area were nothing can sneak up on them. Sometimes a swamp near a big hill is gold, they bed in the wet stuff and use thermals coming off the hill to smell everything on the high ground when they stage in the evening. The best spots usually have some combination where they have multiple reasons to be there. Once you find a bed that looks good really study it hard, the more you learn about why they are there it gets easier to find new beds that hold mature bucks. This will also help you setup on them, learn what advantages they have to try and find the weak spots in the defenses.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:41 am

I think maybe the biggest thing you can learn is; you can get closer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:18 am

TravisB wrote: I'm wondering how some of you have applied Dan's tactics and methods to your hunting grounds. I have no marshes to hunt, and what little hills I have are nothing like what are in the Hill Country video.

Same here. It was a struggle and still is to a point, I'm no expert at it. We have no cattail mashes, just swamps and the hills are not that big. But the one thing I do have in common with the northern guys is buck bedding. Look past the cattails and big hills and look at the principles he uses. We don't have cattails, but we still have transitions and edge in the swamps and low lying areas. The vegetation is different but there are still preferences for bedding on those transitions. My hills are smaller but there are still thermals and bedding just like the big hill country bedding. The hunter pressure is different than what it is in Wisconsin, but the bucks still have safe zones where they move in daylight and are leary to venture out of that until dark. There are still areas where people don't hunt, overlooked spots, where bucks hold up.

TravisB wrote: I love the dvd's, learned a lot, just trying to figure out how to apply that knowledge to what I have to hunt.

At first I didn't care much for the mash bucks DVD, only because the terrain he hunted was so much different than what I do. The first thing I seen was all the cattail marshes and that was foreign to me. But when you look past the terrain, there's a wealth of info on that DVD, hill country too. Look for the principles and apply it to your terrain. Look for those transition lines. Look at the elevation changes. How does the basic terrain principles of the DVD compare to your ground? Look for the beds, they're there. Once you find a few of those you'll start to put 2 & 2 together, you'll see patterns. The more you find the more you'll see the principles are the same even tho the terrain is not. I don't think you can get the most out of the DVDs without studying your own hunting ground thoroughly. At least that's the way it is for me.

I'm about 500 miles south of Dan, and I'm still impressed he could pick out beds on a map for an area here where I am and he's never seen it. Just based on the principles he teaches.
If you're able, go to one of Dan's spring workshops. Well worth the trip.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:50 am

I don't apply any of it when hunting home ground. Lol I get all excited in the spring and scout out beds. Some I find based on Dans info, guy knows his stuff! I never find big buck sign at my beds, so I don't get fired up for the season. Season comes and I hunt a few times and look forward to heading out of state. Out of state its hills and transition between 2 cover types. I need to scout out of state in the spring, cause I tromp thru looking for sign and when I find it, I've scented the place up. No doubt Dans methods will work, but you have to have time to scout and deer you want to target in your areas. I have more fun scouting then hunting. I also have more fun food plotting and land manipulation then hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 am

I really like the DVDs...I found the concept and strategy translates nicely to most any terrain.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”