New guy here!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

New guy here!

Unread postby fauxfly » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:37 am

Hi all

Spent the last few days on here and decided to join - Great site! Refreshing approach to the subject of deer/deer hunting.

I'm new to bow hunting and gun hunting - just picked up a bow 4 years ago and am hopelessly addicted - picked up a rifle 2 years ago and guess what - the same!

Been in search mode ever since to try and learn all I can about deer and hunting them, I'm in west central WI and have several thousand acres of public available to me. Spent a lot of time trying to learn about deer topography and how they use the land and prevailing winds through the landscape...learning curve is steep. Some success in my archery ventures early, some success also with my rifle.

Still trying to learn all I can - scouting is really the key - how they are moving through the landscape - where they cross a creek - why they climb a steep river bank instead of walking down 200 yards and walking an easy incline - all mysteries I've had to try and discover. Some I have and some I'm still searching for answers.

Found this site the other day and joined - now you guys gotta deal with all my questions...

First one - what the heck is "beast style hunting" have seen it a couple of times on here and can't really find a good explanation -

Also Dan - why the concentration on marshes - is there some specific habitat pertaining to a marsh which you have found deer to like better??

Thanks for now guys - again, Great site!

Crazinamatese

Re: New guy here!

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 am

Welcome. "Beast Style" is basically setting up and hunting over buck beds, or near buck bedding.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34 am

fauxfly wrote:Hi all

Spent the last few days on here and decided to join - Great site! Refreshing approach to the subject of deer/deer hunting

Dang I like that description... that is exactly right! Welcome to the BEAST!! Truly the best deer hunting and tactics website there is!

As for dealing with you and all your questions... bring em! That is what makes great discussion that we all can relate and learn from.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 am

Welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:08 pm

what the heck is "beast style hunting"
knowing where bucks bed, and hunting in close proximity

Dan - why the concentration on marshes - is there some specific habitat pertaining to a marsh which you have found deer to like better??

The main reason I hunt a lot in marshes is because there are a lot of public marshes near me... Another good reason is that marshes are usually thick and nasty and bucks can survive to get old enough to grow big racks, and lastly, marshes are very easy to read. I can generally look at an aerial view and tell where the best bucks will be bedding.
I do hunt a lot of other terrains though...

Welcome to the BEAST! 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Welcome to the forum!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:50 pm

Welcome Fauxfly

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome!

• Advertisement