hunting in fresh snow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

eldergage

hunting in fresh snow

Unread postby eldergage » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:30 am

first off just would like to say this is probably the best site i have ever seen as far as public land info. you guys are great and i was able to harvest 2 does this year so far, with my bow, in southern il on public land. But anyways, its second gun season this weekend and we just recieved about 6 inches of snow so far (still falling). would actually finding tracks and following them be the best option or are there other tactics that would work better? thanks in advance

Country
500 Club

Re: hunting in fresh snow

Unread postby Country » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:26 am

I know a lot of the guys on here will circle known bedding areas from a safe distance and check to see if there are any tracks going in but not coming out and set up there.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:35 am

Yes that can work. Focus on big tracks that are 3 fingers wide or more but also when you are looking at the tracks, sometimes it is easier to tell how big the deer was if you focus on how big and wide the stride is. Next time you see a deer walking pay really close attention to how the deer moves his legs. then when you get on some tracks try and imagine how big of a deer it would take to make those tracks. It is really cool to do and you can almost see the deer making the tracks in your mind.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
eldergage

Unread postby eldergage » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:45 am

alright, both makes sense. thanks for the input. i just have a doe tag left so hopefully i can put some more meat in the freezer!
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:34 am

I usually wait a full 24hr to 48hrs after a good snow has stopped then check the fields where the new, heavy trails have opened up. In my area deer don't move much until well after snow has stopped. If more than a good or two the Deer may completely change their bedding and travel routes (whitetails started yarding up, where I can't hunt, for winter in November due to being an extreme year with winter kill already) . Of only a couple inches they are unaffected but you can use this snow to zero in on exactly where the bucks travel circle(s) at that moment. If you check fields after a heavy snow you will know where they are coming out to feed at night and where they are coming from (which can be 20yds in the woods if snow is belly deep for them).

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”