Thermal experiment by accident.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Thermal experiment by accident.

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 am

CountryJoe wrote:I think it helps to put it into perspective when you think about how a buck pursues a doe during the rut. By the way he follows that doe with his nose to the ground instead of following her with his eyes can only mean one of three things. He's either not very smart, really likes the smell, or he trusts his nose more than his eyes. I think the third option is most probable, then the second option.

I agree 100%

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:13 am

Dor wrote:Wash clothes when soiled...sometimes this goes years without washing.

Pants over boots every time.

Get on big deer every single year.

Major stretch to kid yourself that you are doing much good with "scent control".

It is very basic. Exit/entry control and wind direction.

As to different deer populations tolerating scent more than others. Definitely true. In urban areas and in KS I can get away with murder. In KS I attribute that to the ground being so very dry. IN WI&MN big woods you better plan a good route because biggy won't be tolerating anything.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree, wind in the face very best tactic. I also agree on the ground being dry vs wet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:16 am

ou are saying my boots which I leave out side in the weather just like my cameras the scent is not diminishing? How is my scent getting on the bottoms of my boots? Where is this scent coming from that would alert the buck. My cameras don't retain enough scent to alert deer why do my boots? If there is no human scent on the bottom of my boots there is one smell that I am leaving "rubber".

Im not at all saying your boots have scent on them or are leaving scent... Im saying you are. Scent comes off of you where ever you go. When I watched dogs scent track humans who used boots in your manor and wore scent control clothing they did not smell the foot prints when tracking, they were smelling ground scent a couple feet down wind of where the subject walked...
Its proven in many scientific tests Stan, Dogs with far less smelling capabilities than deer have no problem following scent from a guy wearing clean rubber boots, or identifying that individual and staying of his individual track despite multiple other humans mixing in on the trail...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 am

I know of all kinds of guys that wear rubber boots and get busted by deer just like you. I don't know of very many that leave their boots outside 24/7 in the weather. Earlier this year I walked by a scrape not the ideal situation. I set up and hunted. A 130 inch buck worked the scrape with its nose directly over where I walked. No reaction at all. I was even amazed at this one.
I'm pretty sure if you would have walked by that scrape with your greasy work boots that buck would have reacted.

When I hunted Iowa 2 weeks ago I had at least 30 deer go past me in the 3 day weekend that crossed my scent trail from my work boots, none reacted. I saw no reaction at all, and several of the bucks were mature.
However, Here in Wisconsin off of the managed land I hunted in Iowa, I get reactions no matter what I wear on my feet, and yes, there was a time I tried your clean boot theory.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:25 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:This is why I love deer hunting so much. The interpretation of what a deer dose and why it dose it.

From the deep south to the far north, midwest to the north east the whitetail has adapted. Each on a large scale but also on micro scale to suite each deers individual environment and personality.

Like the whitetail deer, all the really great hunters ive met have adapted as well. He knows that what "RIGHT" here may not be "RIGHT" there and visa versa. For the most part, a hunter is a product of his environment. From interpretation to application...

I hunt a spot that's about 3 miles deep in some rough country, these deer get very little pressure. But you better a be on your a game because these deer do not tolerate intrusion. I also hunt an area around a golf course, these deer pay no attention to human scent.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

WEhere I hunt near my home you can't get away with much of anything. Leave humasn scent and the spots burned for at least a few weeks, but drive 20 miles to the rich suburbs and mature bucks are sleeping on peoples lawns 10 yards away from a family cook out. Deer do indeed adapt to what is thrown at them. And thats going to be different every where. Good post
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:31 am

Stanley wrote:
cbay wrote:I worked harder at scent control this year than ever before. It got to the point i was backtracking myself and checking every little thing i touched so much it was really testing my patience. I was getting by with my travel paths at the property, but my presence was still being detected by mature deer. Young deer would maybe stomp a hoof and then go about their business.
I figure it's not that they won't smell me but maybe a level of scent that leads them to believe i was there at an earlier time and now gone.
At the house where it is public i was able to beat the nose of a 2.5 yo buck for a good while. When i say beat i don't mean he didn't smell odors that represented me, but that it didn't cause him to leave. It was very cool to have that happen and was one of the very few times that i happened to have a camera over me and the deer and got pics of both of us for the span of almost an hour.
Three days later it didn't work so well; and wouldn't you know it was the stud 5.5+ buck i was after. I'm sure he would have caught my scent trail, but he caught my scent presence from the thermals and acted like he ran into a fence!
At times i almost wish i wouldn't have encounters that show my scent control measures work to a degree because it is a lot of effort. And i firmly believe that any mature deer is going to wind my presence no matter what i do, but still think the effort helps my scent trails quite a bit.

I have never been able to escape a bucks nose in the stand. when they get down wind it's lights out. There is just too much scent mass from a human body. I have tried everything in the book. Scent mass is huge. Example; a buck can't detect a flake of human scent from 100 yards away. But a whole human every time. I also think the new polar fleece clothing holds way more scent mass than just a plain old cotton twill.

Thats my point exactly Stan... That scent that comes off of you will stick to the ground around where you walk. Thats what the deer is smelling. Not your boots. They don't fear rubber, and they don't fear oil, if they did you would not see them feeding next to parked vehicles care free. They fear human predator scent.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 am

Stanley wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Uh, with Dan on this one.

Rubber boots are not helping or hurting your scent control.

A deer's sense of smell is another way they "see" ..... I assume like your boats sonar. You're fooling yourself with this one Stan.

Spend a lot of time with hunting dogs, amazing how their nose works. As Dan stated, a deer's ability to distinguish scent is better......and a black bear's sense of smell is even keener.

This statement I take as a personal insult. It would indicate I am lying about my shared experiences and they didn't happen. :naughty:

No one called you a liar or insulted you... He is just saying he thinks you think your right but your not... When we debate tactics, not everyone is going to agree. I believe you saw what you saw, and I am sure based on Hodags post he believes you to. Whether not the deer reacted or didn't react because of your boot method is what he is disagreeing with.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:37 pm

I've had both; some deer get spooked and some that didn't care...

Kind of like some people are afraid of spiders and some aren't.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 pm

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Uh, with Dan on this one.

Rubber boots are not helping or hurting your scent control.

A deer's sense of smell is another way they "see" ..... I assume like your boats sonar. You're fooling yourself with this one Stan.

Spend a lot of time with hunting dogs, amazing how their nose works. As Dan stated, a deer's ability to distinguish scent is better......and a black bear's sense of smell is even keener.

This statement I take as a personal insult. It would indicate I am lying about my shared experiences and they didn't happen. :naughty:

No one called you a liar or insulted you... He is just saying he thinks you think your right but your not... When we debate tactics, not everyone is going to agree. I believe you saw what you saw, and I am sure based on Hodags post he believes you to. Whether not the deer reacted or didn't react because of your boot method is what he is disagreeing with.

Thanks for summing up what I posted Dan. I did not try to insult you Stan or imply what you witnessed is what you truly believe. I feel you are wrong in believing critters just smell ground scent left by humans ( or anything that is strolling thru the bush). Scent that is left behind is not just ground scent and rubber boots are not going to help. I believe the others that posted agree......Headgear and Autumn Ninja.

This is the 1st link I found by googling scent dispersal.......please feel free to read.

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/pe ... -scent.php

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”