Shooting lanes in Beast style hunting??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Shooting lanes in Beast style hunting??

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:17 am

dan wrote:Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember reading in the Minnesota regulations that you could trim branches up to 1 inch in diameter. I liked that rule, I thought it made sense and put everybody on an equal playing field.

Yep we can trim, not 100% sure on the size, even looked in the reg book and couldn't find it. At one time I thought it was up to 3 inches but who knows these days.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 am

Brad wrote:I heard the history channel was flying over and saw it in progress and Ed will now be the new logger on Ax Men lol!

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Zap wrote:Ed brought a chainsaw when we hunted in Missouri......I had to rein him in......he was like Paul Bunyon..... :lol:

:liar:

Yeah, you better put that little pinochio guy at the bottom...

I had more blisters from brushing your spots then I did from dragging deer:)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that's funny stuff!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:48 am

Brad wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think I remember reading in the Minnesota regulations that you could trim branches up to 1 inch in diameter. I liked that rule, I thought it made sense and put everybody on an equal playing field.

I like the sound of that rule.

X2 I think that is reasonable.

x3, keeps things reasonable yet allows a little modification.

I'll 4th it!

That's about the liberty I take to sleep at night...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:31 am

I don't trim much. A few super thick spots I cut some branches in the off season, sometimes I snip a branch when I set up, most I do no trimming. Not having an opening has cost me a few deer but the way I look at it over-trimming would cost me just as many not too mention it is an eyesore for everyone else you are supposed to share the woods with on public.

Like has been said if you modify your setup based on the cover you can minimize the issue...for instance sometimes its more open setting up on the ground, or low, or super high.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I trim very little. I will cut a branch here or there if it doesn't hurt the tree. You can actually help a tree sometimes by trimming it. Also, the law says no trimming cause people don't care. I have trimmed a few trees but I know the difference between a healthy white oak 4' tall and a mangy prickery ash. Warden in Fond Du Lac says don't go getting carried away. I also will break any branch in the way that is dead. One main reason I don't trimm is cause if I find a spot and cut branches, it is a dead givaway the spot is worth the effort to a hunter.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:52 pm

ihookem wrote:I trim very little. I will cut a branch here or there if it doesn't hurt the tree. You can actually help a tree sometimes by trimming it. Also, the law says no trimming cause people don't care. I have trimmed a few trees but I know the difference between a healthy white oak 4' tall and a mangy prickery ash. Warden in Fond Du Lac says don't go getting carried away. I also will break any branch in the way that is dead. [glow=red]One main reason I don't trimm is cause if I find a spot and cut branches, it is a dead givaway the spot is worth the effort to a hunter.[/glow]

Could be, but I'd be willing to bet the majority of hunters out there aren't sitting in the right places anyways. (guilty of that) So, I guess in theory, if you see cut branches on public...don't hunt there because the big bucks probably won't be there.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:33 pm

In my area invasive honeysuckle will choke everything out except mature trees. So for me they are open game. Along a field edge it can look like a brick wall to me and deer. If you crawl in and clip a hole or two it's lights out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”